There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers Likely Won't Try To Re-Sign LB Manny Lawson

Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by YungAce:
Originally posted by Trajik1:
I like Lawson I wouldn't mind getting rid of Haralson

Exactly. Keep Lawson, cut Haralson. Sign Matt Roth in free agency. Re-sign Travis La Boy to compete with Gibson for the final roster spot.

OLB: Brooks/A. Smith/La Boy
OLB: Lawson/Roth/Gibson

I think this is also an indictment of Brooks and Haralson. All three (Lawson, Brooks, Haralson) were out played by LaBoy who didn't even play every game because of concussions. If anything LaBoy beats out the other guys for starting time. Okay LaBoy is a liability in space, but Haralson and Brooks that much better? Not really.

Thoughts?
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Exactly. Keep Lawson, cut Haralson. Sign Matt Roth in free agency. Re-sign Travis La Boy to compete with Gibson for the final roster spot.

I think this is also an indictment of Brooks and Haralson. All three (Lawson, Brooks, Haralson) were out played by LaBoy who didn't even play every game because of concussions. If anything LaBoy beats out the other guys for starting time. Okay LaBoy is a liability in space, but Haralson and Brooks that much better? Not really.

Thoughts?

I think every OLB on the roster has been put on notice. First Smith and now Miller in the 7th round.
Brooks, Haralson, and Lawson have all failed as pass rushers. The only legit rusher the team had was Laboy and he was injuried constantly.

I would not be surprised to see Smith and Brooks as the starting OLB this season. Brooks is capable of playing the SAM spot and Smith would be the WILL.

[ Edited by AKfanster on Apr 30, 2011 at 14:55:59 ]
  • ttime
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Thoughts?

I think every OLB on the roster has been put on notice. First Smith and now Miller in the 7th round.
Brooks, Haralson, and Lawson have all failed as pass rushers. The only legit rusher the team had was Laboy and he was injuried constantly.

I would not be surprised to see Smith and Brooks as the starting OLB this season. Brooks is capable of playing the SAM spot and Smith would be the WILL.

I think that they are projecting Smith to play some DE as well> Folks who complain about Manny fail to realize or mention that he is very effective at getting pressure although he was often replaced on passing downs and he is playing next to a SOAP; a guy who get no penetration on passing plays. Those who argue that it is not SOAP responsibility should consider J.Smith 's production. SOAP is the weakest link here. Not Manny.

[ Edited by ttime on Apr 30, 2011 at 15:46:24 ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by VDSF:
The 49ers expect the versatile Aldon Smith to help out in more than one place, but outside linebacker is his primary position.

Smith's arrival could signal Manny Lawson's departure via free agency. Lawson, a first-round choice in 2006, has been solid, but not a standout (except on special teams, where he can be a dominant force). Lawson, like Aaron Curry in Seattle and Levi Brown in Arizona, gets measured in relation to his draft status.

Link

Wouldn't the 49ers have to rescind the tender we gave Lawson?

Bingo. They need to include restricted free agents in the CBA.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by luis1985:

This.

I actually think a duo of Lawson and Aldon would be a terror.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

This.

This is exactly what they need to do. Why would you keep Haralson and not keep Lawson other than money?...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

This.

This is exactly what they need to do. Why would you keep Haralson and not keep Lawson other than money?...

Twin towers!!!!
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by cwilson830:

I absolutely agree
Lawson, Brooks and Smith would be amazing. We need to make this happen.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by VDSF:
The 49ers expect the versatile Aldon Smith to help out in more than one place, but outside linebacker is his primary position.

Smith's arrival could signal Manny Lawson's departure via free agency. Lawson, a first-round choice in 2006, has been solid, but not a standout (except on special teams, where he can be a dominant force). Lawson, like Aaron Curry in Seattle and Levi Brown in Arizona, gets measured in relation to his draft status.

Link

Wouldn't the 49ers have to rescind the tender we gave Lawson?

Currently I believe the answer is yes.

IMO you keep that tender on Lawson and give him every opportunity to make the team, if you have to cut him in/after camp no biggie. But Ghost as you know competition is a good thing and it wouldn't hurt to let the kid compete for a spot.

Yup....as you and OTC have said, just keep Lawson around on this 1 year tender, create competition at the OLB position and let iron sharpen iron.
Yea, I agree with many posters when saying that I don't think Manny Lawson is the first guy who's job Aldon Smith threatens.

Lawson is certainly not so bad that you'd just cut him. It's a matter of how much he is worth contractually.

Lawson hasn't been able to get the pass-rush going we'd hoped for, but he's the best OLB we have at everything else. Aldon's perceived weakness's lie in standing up and covering etc, and Lawson is the only OLB who has that as a strength.

I'm not even sure who I want to get rid of at OLB...(and many of you thought Miller had a shot at making the roster at OLB)

How many OLB's did we have on the active roster last year?

[ Edited by mug0mug on Apr 30, 2011 at 22:39:47 ]
Originally posted by iSatOnACrabtree:

I absolutely agree

2nd
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

This.

Twin towers!!!!

Yea I see Smith more likely to line up in Haralson's spot. I think Lawson has a spot in the rotation. For now.
id be very saddened, good in run D and good in coverage only thing lacking is him getting to the qb, hopefully we resigns and maybe can beast it up when the focusing more on aldon :)