There are 116 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Round 1, #7, the San Francisco 49ers selects Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri

Was he really the best DE they could have drafted? This is confusing because there were other players rated higher as DE's. He is probably too young to make a difference in his first two years, he's a Soph?
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

I'm more angry at the fact that we didn't trade down to get him... that was horrible

need two to tango.....
Most mocks had him going #11 to the Texans so it's not really that huge of a reach.

The fact the Texans wanted him does make me feel better about the pick because of the Wade Phillps factor and Phillps has an eye for pass rush OLB.
Keep in mind that some mock drafts had this guy going 5th to the Cardinals. People need to quit crying and accept that the 49ers got an explosive pass-rushing talent. As things stood, our pass-rush was going to be garbage next year, even with a better scheme, we still had limited personnel. Harlyson needs to be benched, Brooks doesn't seem to be a permanent solution, Lawson might be out the door, this was a HUGE need and Aldon Smith is a guy who can be developed, who does have good character, he's a straight blue-collar/lunch pail type and by all accounts, a hard worker to boot.

People will b***h and moan but in the end, I think this guy is going to turn out to be a pretty good pick.
We coulda traded down for him. Bit of a reach at 7. Hope it pans out for us!
Welcome Aldon, in 5 years when this kid becomes DeMarcus Ware, you all will be on his jock....

We still could have traded out to 15 and still got him.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Anybody who says this is kentwan 2.0 can shut the f**k up because you don't know football. Aldon smith is a good pick, a slight reach but good nonetheless.
This just means we're getting Nnamdi
Originally posted by Juradon:
Was he really the best DE they could have drafted? This is confusing because there were other players rated higher as DE's. He is probably too young to make a difference in his first two years, he's a Soph?

2nd highest rated pass-rusher in the entire draft on most boards. Sexier names out there, but none is a more complete package than this guy.
CBS compares him to Jarvis Moss.....Remember him?
Originally posted by susweel:
f**k you Baalke, Im gonna kick your ass.

I'll remember those words
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
We coulda traded down for him. Bit of a reach at 7. Hope it pans out for us!

People say this pulling it out of their butt but you never know whats going to happen, or who is going to do what. Jake Locker was supposed to be a late 1st rounder and look what happened? Maybe the 49ers had an inkling that some other team like the Cowboys were going to take this guy? Both the Redskins and Texans were heavily rumored to be interested in him.

If the 49ers believe in this guy, if they thought he was a top talent, then you pull the trigger and draft him rather than trading down and risking losing him. This is why we are fans on the forums and not professionals getting paid, you have no way of knowing what the pro's actually knew about this guy and other teams intentions for taking him.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by susweel:
f**k you Baalke, Im gonna kick your ass.

I'll remember those words

hahaha, you do that
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

I'm more angry at the fact that we didn't trade down to get him... that was horrible

I bet we tried to trade back but couldn't. Aldon Smith is the guy we were targeting considering who was left on the board, so when we couldn't move back, we took him at 7 anyway. All you guys who are angry will be eating crow, because this guy's got a motor and makes plays. We just marked a bug check mark next to pass rush.
GM Trent Baalke tells us #49ers will "take time" with Aldon Smith. Says he has to learn new position, will put hand on ground and stand up.

http://twitter.com/#!/knbrmurph/status/63769394488164352
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home