LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 137 users in the forums

Round 1, #7, the San Francisco 49ers selects Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Is this guy gonna be our next Charles Haley?

And by next Charles Haley I don't mean he's the guy who's gonna be jacking off during team meetings or any of that nonsense.

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
lol the people who like the Aldon Smith pick are already nearly as fervent in stifling opposing opinions as Alex supporters. I don't know what it is about us and A. Smiths. Hopefully this one will prove us doubters wrong.

Not at all - we're just not all jumping to conclusions as if we've personally scouted these players or as if we have the years of hands-on football knowledge as Fangio, Harbaugh, or Jim Leavitt. I'm trusting they're not building this team by purchasing the ESPN Premium content to read Kiper's mocks and say "this is who we should pick".

Every year every team personally scouts players with people who has hands on football knowledge. By that standard, no pick could be questioned.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
lol the people who like the Aldon Smith pick are already nearly as fervent in stifling opposing opinions as Alex supporters. I don't know what it is about us and A. Smiths. Hopefully this one will prove us doubters wrong.

lol ur entitled to ur opinion. i just see a guy who was amazing his freshman year and played with a broken leg last year and still got 5.5 sacks, has good size and quickness at OLB at 6'4" 265lbs and has huge arms for manhandling people and swatting passes. i didnt have him circled on any draftboard i saw or thought about but in hindsight it looks like a great pick. we'll see when football comes around how beast or non beastly he is lol

See, this is the type of disagreement and opinion that can be productive during discourse. No thinly veiled insults or trying to put the other person down. I really hope your right. At least we didn't draft Gabbert, then there would have been no consoling me.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
McShay had Aldon Smith going to ARZ at #5

I too had A Smith or R Quinn going to zona in my mock and got a bunch of laughs for it.
The zone is funny...... Oh wait, who's laughing now?
LOL at Don Banks of CNN/SI

"DonBanks Don Banks
Somewhere, Texans GM Rick Smith is sniffling at the sight of Aldon Smith coming off the board at No. 7.
3 hours ago"

Texans had a major hard-on for Smith, so much for that. Anyone who thinks that the 49ers could have traded down and still gotten this guy is delusional. The days of running OLB-By-Committee are pretty much done at this point and thank goodness.
Soooooooo are we gonna use this guy as an OLB or what?
McShay had him going #5 to the cards in his last mock

Link
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I will reserve criticism of this pick. Here's the thing, this guy was picked 7th overall. He better turn in to a hell of a passrusher.

This is the problem. The spot, not the player.

Semi-true. Even if we traded back and took him like 13th lets say, i'd still have very high expectations. When you take a passrusher top 10 or top half of the draft, they better get some sacks and pressure the QB.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
McShay had him going #5 to the cards in his last mock

Link

McShay is a tool.....he had Andre Woodson going first round a couple years ago. He went in the 7th and is now out of the league. More importantly though ask 2 different evaluators about a pick and you get 2 different opinions. Everyone loved Peterson, Parcells had Prince ahead of him. There are those who think Von Miller is Clay Matthews already and those who think he'll never play the run well enough and is too light. It's a guessing game, those making educated guesses are few and far between.
For a follow-up 49ers should find a way to trade-up and either acquire Dalton or Aaron Williams, taking this draft from good to stellar.

Maybe Aldon will get the same number so people can just recycle their jerseys...
Originally posted by JDeezy:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by JDeezy:
I don't mind the pick, it's just confusing as hell. First of all, they could've traded down and still gotten. Second, how many people had him ahead of Quinn as the second OLB on the board after Miller? I like the fact that he played on a broken leg last year. Shows some heart and some balls that can be added to the team. I don't like the fact that we're sitting there without a corner and perhaps more importantly we're going to need a nose tackle too. Say you trade down and he's gone you can still take Phil Taylor and shore up a need. At least it serves a need and we finally say bye to Lawson's underachieving ass. As for the second round, I can't say how imperative it is that we take a CB. Forgot Kap, i don't think Dalton will be there. We need to take either Aaron Williams or Ras-I Dowling. Then in the 3rd we can take Stanzi if he's still there and then take another rb in the 4th. While the Aldon Smith pick is underwhelming much like last years two first rounders, if he's as steady as Iupati was we won't be complaining too much.

same could have been said about Tennesee at 8. If they wanted Locker that much why not trade back? Ballke said that they knew ATL wanted to trade up, but the Falcons moved ahead of them. Maybe SF and Tenn couldn't find suitable trade partners.

ITA. I hate when people say "we could have traded back" when they have no idea if a trade was possible. And apparently trades aren't this smooth process - ala Baltimore and Chicago.

Lol amusing, how is it the good teams always find a trade partner and we're left reaching? My point is if you have to trade back and miss out on this guy there are better value guys out there. I'm glad we addressed a need, but to me its settling. We have a rotation at OLB. It sucks but at least its a rotation. We have no rotation at CB. We have 1 CB in Spencer who's a top 4 corner on any other team in the nfl. That's what I'm saying.

So basically your saying we should cut off our nose to sleight our face by trading back just because Aldon Smith was not number 7 on everyones mock draft. A reach is drafting Christian Ponder at 12 when he should have been 20-25 pick on a good day. I don't think we lost any value by drafting Aldon at seven, being that no team would not have payed anything extra to get another player at 7.

Not at all - we're just not all jumping to conclusions as if we've personally scouted these players or as if we have the years of hands-on football knowledge as Fangio, Harbaugh, or Jim Leavitt. I'm trusting they're not building this team by purchasing the ESPN Premium content to read Kiper's mocks and say "this is who we should pick".

Every year every team personally scouts players with people who has hands on football knowledge. By that standard, no pick could be questioned.

No, not at all - picks should be questioned based on their production, not mocks. You can question a pick, but to pass absolute judgment by saying as some have said "they (49ers) were unprepared" or "it's a terrible choice" or "they took the wrong player" isn't questioning, it's a statement implying you know more than those who made the choice. I'm simply saying that's definitively something you don't know unless you were in the war room.

I don't know who's questioning the pick based on a mock but I wanted Prince when most mocks had us taking Quinn if Peterson was gone. I would not have been happy with Quinn either. Every fan is gonna have their own opinion about a pick, mine just happens to not be on the positive side with this one.
We needed a pass rushing OLB and there weren't any better options available. Sure, we'd all have loved to land Von Miller, but that obviously wasn't an option.

The other position we looked at (I don't think QB was a real consideration) was CB and clearly we would've loved Peterson, but Amukamara slid, showing it wasn't an abberation to rate him lower than many thought and there was no one else worth consideration.

So we got the best available of our positions of need.

Dude is really young (20) and has only 1 full year of college experience, so he's obviously a bit raw, but given he was still projected top 15 or so by most, we can hope in not too long that he'll be a beast.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
For a follow-up 49ers should find a way to trade-up and either acquire Dalton or Aaron Williams, taking this draft from good to stellar.

think we could go williams and then Stanzi. if we miss on stanzi or just don't want him than i wonder if we go speedy RB or NT.
Share 49ersWebzone