There are 279 users in the forums

Joe Perry passed away

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
He was the greatest 49er running back ever and one of the greatest ever in the league.

No disrespect to The Jet, but it was a completely different game back then. Defenses weren't a fraction as complex as they are now and a superior athlete like Joe Perry could run wild. These days, schemes and game planning can make inferior athletes shut down better athletes.

R.I.P. Joe Perry
RIP
Originally posted by 49erRider:
He was the greatest 49er running back ever and one of the greatest ever in the league.

No disrespect to The Jet, but it was a completely different game back then. Defenses weren't a fraction as complex as they are now and a superior athlete like Joe Perry could run wild. These days, schemes and game planning can make inferior athletes shut down better athletes.

R.I.P. Joe Perry

Well, I believe "The Jet" is still the 49ers all-time leading rusher.
[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 25, 2011 at 11:46 AM ]
Served in WWII, Broke a rushing record, and was the first RB to have back to back one thousand yard rushing seasons. RIP.

• dj43

R.I.P. Joe Perry
But that works on both sides of the ball. Also, it is a relative study in time. Just because athletes now are bigger and stronger does not mean that they are more gifted than athletes in a previous era. Had Joe Perry grown up in the 1980s with the benefits of nutrition and training of today's athletes and gone on to play pro ball, his physical gifts would have still made him the top runner in the game.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
RIP
He was also the 49ers first black player.

R.I.P. Joe.
Originally posted by crabman82:
RIP mr perry
damn, my dad introduced him to me at a game when I was young. We were seated by him and he was a really nice guy.
damn... Respect.

RIP

Joe Perry

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
RIP
In peace

R.I.P. Joe Perry
But that works on both sides of the ball. Also, it is a relative study in time. Just because athletes now are bigger and stronger does not mean that they are more gifted than athletes in a previous era. Had Joe Perry grown up in the 1980s with the benefits of nutrition and training of today's athletes and gone on to play pro ball, his physical gifts would have still made him the top runner in the game.

It's speculation both ways...
rip
RIP Joe Perry. Perhaps the greatest running back SF has ever had.
Share 49ersWebzone