LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 201 users in the forums

Does having Harbaugh give you more comfort in this draft?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
To a degree, yes. We are going into this draft needing a QB, a change of pace RB, and a true WCO fullback. I believe Harbaugh knows what he's looking for in terms of those positions, so I expect us to do well in that department(although I'd prefer it if the QB talent pool wasn't littered with question marks).

Our first pick is likely to be on defense, and I don't know how much input Harbaugh will have on that. The teams that Fangio was DC for don't blow me away as far as their defensive picks during his tenure. Houston took Dunta Robinson, and Baltimore took Haloti Ngata. Robinson's an above average corner. Ngata is a stud on the d-line, but I think everyone saw that was going to be the case. I want to be sure that we take the best player we can in the first round, and I'd like to know that we've got someone who can spot the little differences that separate good from great.

Baalke did a decent job on his first draft, but the Taylor Mays pick has me concerned a little in this department. Mays has all of the talent in the world, but we're still not sure if that talent will translate to the football field. With the exception of Willis, we've had some draft misses on the defensive side of the ball in the last few years. We can't miss with that first pick this year.
It absolutely makes me feel better. This is the first time as fans you know what they team is drafting for, and you know or hope the new system will stay in place.

Offense. WCO, need a qb who is good decision maker and accurate.

Defense- 3-4 defense with OLB who get a pass rush.

Knowing this the major needs are

CB, with a shut down corner you can bring more rushers
OLB- need a pass rush beyone the 6 sacks between Parys and Lawson.
QB-need a qb who can dink and dunk and can read defenses.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Absolutely not. I witnessed Walsh and Seifert missing ocassionally. It's a crap shoot.

Albeit, Seifert more than Walsh (esp. in the 1st. rd. or 1st. pick)..It's definitely a crap shoot, but I think this years draft should be better than last years interms of Team needs, and Team vision..
Very obviously yes. I would put his QB evaluation among the top of the league if not THE TOP! Comparing him to NoWin QB evaluation is like comparing a pile of trash to a Rolls Royce.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Apr 18, 2011 at 1:14 PM ]
qb wise yes everything else remains to be seen
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Hell yeah it makes a big difference. I honestly dont care who we have at center, who we have on the Oline, or who we have at WR because I truly have faith that we have someone who knows offense, knows how to adjust, knows how to gameplan, and above all knows that every position on the team is different and has to be treated accordingly. Not too mention he was an NFL QB.

I dont think we could of asked for someone better, proven or not. I mean if Bradford can make it to the playoffs, with the same dinks and dunks that I saw all of our QB's throw, whether Shaun Hill, Alex, Troy, s**t even Carr, then we can do the same thing.

I was shocked at how their offense looked and Bradford had a horrible QB rating.

One thing I will pay close attention to tho, i noticed the difference with the Rams and even the Cards, and us, is that it seems like we are the only team in the league, who's WR's never manage to get open, and it dont matter who the QB was.

I'm sure much of this had to do with play calling though. Our WR corps. really isn't that bad. Also, let's not forget how many times QB's failed to look the way of WR's when they were wide open (not mentioning any names for fear of a thread hijacking).

LMAO, yeah u gotta be careful That happened, but i'll even add in, ran the wrong routes, didnt dive or fight for the ball, or things that i used to hate, was when it look like the WR stopped running the wroute. So why i def cant put it all on the WR's backs, and have to put some blame on the QB. I'll say that since JTO was here, and maybe even Rattay, did we have a true no 1 receiver that made other teams gameplan and respect their game.

I mean look at Crabs. I think the dudes name is Julius Jones, and he had the same injury as Crabs, but performed above and beyond when working out at the Combine. Now im not saying Jones will be better, but its funny how Crabs got hurt, and said how detrimental it would be to do all the combine things, etc. I mean even NFL network compared Jones to Crabtree, and said he worked thru the same thing, Crabtree said he couldnt. Say what u want but that speaks volumes.

I just want a star receiver, that no matter who the QB is, he can get it done, and im hoping that in year 3, maybe Crabs can be that guy, and if not him then someone.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Very obviously yes. I would put his QB evaluation among the top of the league if not THE TOP! Comparing him to NoWin QB evaluation is like comparing a pile of trash to a Rolls Royce.

Maybe...but if this year's evalutation says that there are no QBs worth taking a big risk (first to third round pick) then it almost doesn't matter how good he is at identifying a qb. At least for this year, the result will appear status quo unless we hire a FA.
This post should read "having Harbaugh and Baalke together" give you more comfort.

I met some of the 49ers staff at a function last week and they said that Baalke is the real deal as a scout and will be just fine as our GM. Add that to having someone who actually played and values the most important position on the field in Harbaugh, and this draft should be fine.

With this draft deep at almost all of the Niners positions of need (OLB, d-line, CB, and QB) and all of our picks, they have a big opportunity to turn this franchise around in a hurry.
Than Singeltary? You kiddin' me?

How could anyone say "No" ...

Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Absolutely not. I witnessed Walsh and Seifert missing ocassionally. It's a crap shoot.

Totally. Happens on every team, even those with great football minds working there.
Just regarding the QB search.
Yes.

Knowing the Dingletary won't be whispering in Balke's ear all three days just gives me comfort to start.
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
Yes.

Knowing the Dingletary won't be whispering in Balke's ear all three days just gives me comfort to start.

i hope harbaugh has final say on draft day
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Than Singeltary? You kiddin' me?

How could anyone say "No" ...

Indeed.
Share 49ersWebzone