There are 219 users in the forums

49ers "State if the Franchise" NFL Network

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by fakers23:
Same s**t we all already knew about a month ago.

Agreed with the same outcome as before.. I don't care who's the coach.. If the same QB under center.. The results wont be any different...

Yup if Alex comes back we will be drafting Andrew Luck next year.

Funny thing is the excuses will fly again after the 49ers go 2 and 6 or 0-5 again.. Like he has only 1 year under the system.. It's Crabtree fault,OL fault,coaches fault,or shoot they even blame Gore.. Plus I have yet to see an Alex fan explain with reason why a QB that has failed for 6 years in the league deserve a 7th with the same team. Number 2 name 1 QB that actually got 6 years to fail all on one team.. I hear Young,Gannon,and such,but those players went to different teams.. They weren't on the same team.. Plus frankly it pretty sad when the Raiders are smarter when it comes to getting rid of QBs then us...
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by PTulini:
49ers QB situation - NFL.com (VIDEO)

I really think the Niners HAVE NO CHOICE but to bring back Alex Smith because of the lockout. Smith isn't here as the QB of the future. He'll be here as a stop gap until our QB of the future is developed. Smith has obvious rapport with the current receivers so why not use his services for one more year. Kudos to Harbaugh for going against the popular opinion of letting Smith walk and knowing what is best for the franchise at the moment.

Why would the 9ers have no choice, basically Smith would be in a whole new offensive system and knowing players and chemistry would be pretty much a start from scratch. If anything a much more proven vet QB would be the best bet. And like I said before, a rookie would be the much better option, why, he wouldn't be a one year stop gap if he were to foul up like say a veteran or Smith. The rookie could actually have a chance to grow with the new coaching staff.

This is my honest opinion, hate on me if you want, but bringing back Smith only puts us closer to the next top 3 QB in the 2012 NFL Draft.
Same s**t we all already knew about a month ago.

Agreed with the same outcome as before.. I don't care who's the coach.. If the same QB under center.. The results wont be any different...

Yup if Alex comes back we will be drafting Andrew Luck next year.

Funny thing is the excuses will fly again after the 49ers go 2 and 6 or 0-5 again.. Like he has only 1 year under the system.. It's Crabtree fault,OL fault,coaches fault,or shoot they even blame Gore.. Plus I have yet to see an Alex fan explain with reason why a QB that has failed for 6 years in the league deserve a 7th with the same team. Number 2 name 1 QB that actually got 6 years to fail all on one team.. I hear Young,Gannon,and such,but those players went to different teams.. They weren't on the same team.. Plus frankly it pretty sad when the Raiders are smarter when it comes to getting rid of QBs then us...

I guess the reason would be because it looks like that is what Harbaugh wants.
Leadership quality is something that you are born and raised with, its not something that can learned. Either you have 'it" or you dont.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. I think leadership is something you have to learn, I don't think there's anything ingrained in our DNA that makes us leaders or followers, it's all about the environment that we were raised in and learned from.

I really think the Niners HAVE NO CHOICE but to bring back Alex Smith because of the lockout. Smith isn't here as the QB of the future. He'll be here as a stop gap until our QB of the future is developed. Smith has obvious rapport with the current receivers so why not use his services for one more year. Kudos to Harbaugh for going against the popular opinion of letting Smith walk and knowing what is best for the franchise at the moment.

I agree. Hopefully Jim Harbaugh can play to Alex Smith's strengths and give this team the best chance to succeed. Use Alex's mobility (move the pocket), shotgun formations, play-action, and more of a no huddle offense. He actually did quite well when he got to call his own plays. I expect to see much more creativity from Harbaugh and company.

Co-signed. Realistically he is as good as any other option that would most likely require more money or future draft picks. Let the guy run his own plays from time to time if he comes back! He is a different looking QB when he does that, as he knows what he does well. I'd like to see a statistical breakdown of him calling his own plays, I imagine it is stark in comparison.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Quanex:
Leadership quality is something that you are born and raised with, its not something that can learned. Either you have 'it" or you dont.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. I think leadership is something you have to learn, I don't think there's anything ingrained in our DNA that makes us leaders or followers, it's all about the environment that we were raised in and learned from.

I do agree with that also, however its something you are raised with in your younger years. Not something you are gonna pick up in your late 20s.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by 9erred:

Charlie Casserly and Madden just believe that Alex Smith does not have the "it ' factor. His stats are misleading, they appear OK, but if you want a person who is a leader, someone who can maintain a lead or come from behind, or convert on a criticial third down, that stat Alex is the worst.

Just like in the olden days folks would compare Marinos, Jim Kellys and Elways stats to Montana's. Joe lost in every statistical category, yet every sane person would want Joe as their qb.

I am disapointed Harbaugh even extendedSmith a contract offer. I would rather get a FA, play Carr or a rookie qb. ANYT?HING to get the stench of Alex Smith our of the niners. He is not even a niner and he is still mentioned, Ugh, the happiest day will be when he retires from the NFL or if another NFC west team picks up alex.

i agree he is not yet a great leader (but i have heard he is becoming a little bit better)

his 2 min drill passer rating is one of the best in the nfl

how many times have we heard that bs about that bum.....

6-10 here we come
Originally posted by fly15:

Charlie Casserly and Madden just believe that Alex Smith does not have the "it ' factor. His stats are misleading, they appear OK, but if you want a person who is a leader, someone who can maintain a lead or come from behind, or convert on a criticial third down, that stat Alex is the worst.

Just like in the olden days folks would compare Marinos, Jim Kellys and Elways stats to Montana's. Joe lost in every statistical category, yet every sane person would want Joe as their qb.

I am disapointed Harbaugh even extendedSmith a contract offer. I would rather get a FA, play Carr or a rookie qb. ANYT?HING to get the stench of Alex Smith our of the niners. He is not even a niner and he is still mentioned, Ugh, the happiest day will be when he retires from the NFL or if another NFC west team picks up alex.

i agree he is not yet a great leader (but i have heard he is becoming a little bit better)

6-10 here we come

first time we heard it was lat the end of last year

State of the Franchise - 49ers (VIDEO)
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fly15:

6-10 here we come

first time we heard it was lat the end of last year

a little 2 late

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Why can't they fire Jamie Dukes already.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Why would the 9ers have no choice, basically Smith would be in a whole new offensive system and knowing players and chemistry would be pretty much a start from scratch. If anything a much more proven vet QB would be the best bet. And like I said before, a rookie would be the much better option, why, he wouldn't be a one year stop gap if he were to foul up like say a veteran or Smith. The rookie could actually have a chance to grow with the new coaching staff.

This is my honest opinion, hate on me if you want, but bringing back Smith only puts us closer to the next top 3 QB in the 2012 NFL Draft.

I agree with most of the points you make, but would add this completely depends on how the draft turns out. If we end up with a QB like Stanzi or Mallet who seem to be the most NFL ready this is the way we should go.

It is a strange situation this year because the draft is going to influence free agency as opposed to how it usually goes the other way. I think this makes this draft much more important than it has been in the past. Smith is such a confusing topic. He can look good at times but this "it" factor situation is something I can't seem to figure out. Smith can have times like the Saint's game where he looks like he has it but then blows up other times.

Personally I am ready for a change, but understand Harbaugh's approach to keep all options open.
NFL Network reported, through Barrows, that the Niners offered Smith a 3.5 million dollar contract.
what's a state if the franchise segment?
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by global_nomad:
what's a state if the franchise segment?

I was wondering how long it would be until someone caught that.
Share 49ersWebzone