There are 180 users in the forums

Poll: Which would you rather have?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Poll: Which would you rather have?

You dont throw games. You dont call for your team to throw games. You dont wish they had thrown a game.

Like all the posters who wanted the 49ers to throw the last few games the other year. So we could draft the cant-miss franchise saviour. Reggie Bush.

End thread.
Why do you want the 5th spot? We are in a very good position and with a s**t load of picks this year we can move up if we want. Baalke has shown he is willing to do that.

f**k the Cards we should always beat them ALWAYS
I'm good with us winning the game because i don't want to throw games and i'm sure the players don't as well. As a fan i was hoping for a loss because it was meaningless and is a better draft pick over a division rival. Really what i would like to see is something kind of like a preseason game. If the team has no chance at the playoffs, than the starters obviously didn't get it done. If that's the case than i would like to see some of the rookies get significant playing time or other position players get playing time so that we can see as an organization what we have...or to get them some in game experience.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Why do you want the 5th spot? We are in a very good position and with a s**t load of picks this year we can move up if we want. Baalke has shown he is willing to do that.

f**k the Cards we should always beat them ALWAYS
i would never trade a win for anything, the draft is such a crapshoot, i was happy to end on a good note and see tomsula get drenched
Originally posted by English:
You dont throw games. You dont call for your team to throw games. You dont wish they had thrown a game.

Like all the posters who wanted the 49ers to throw the last few games the other year. So we could draft the cant-miss franchise saviour. Reggie Bush.

End thread.

Don't have to "throw a game". If the game itself is meaningless in regard to playoff contention, then why not let your starters who have battled throughout the entire season end their season a week early and get your backups much needed game time experience?

I never have understood that about the NFL, cause it doesn't make a lot of sense. Teams who are going to the playoffs, and the record wont change seeding will often times give starters a rest and play backups and it's perfectly acceptable, even though they are potentially messing with the draft order.

Teams already out of the playoffs are frowned upon if they do the same. I spose thats kinda of opening pandora's box again in regard to draft position, but as long teams truly play to win with those backups then I don't see the problem.
There are several reasons not to throw a game. One if the niners threw the game, it would show that the players and organization has no pride. A team like that will never get it done even with a good coach coming in. They'll be like whats the sense? The organization doesn't care, why should we? For a higher draft pick? What about us (players).

Plus a win over a division rival can affect both teams psychologically. The Cards know that we own them. If they won they can say, hey we can beat them even when we don't have a QB. You never let the opposition come up for air and catch his breath.

Originally posted by crabman82:
never lose on purpose to a div rival, we had beaten them 3 in a row, now its 4, i'm not concerned about them picking in front of us, last time they were @5 they picked levi brown

It's not about "them" picking before us - it's about us having a better chance at a player like Peterson. Imagine Peterson getting picked at #6...and 49ers fans can say "Well the Browns just got a shutdown corner for the next 10 years, but dang at least WE beat the Cardinals in that meanigless game last year."
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by valrod33:
If we would have beat the Saints and Falcons we would probably have had the Seahawks draft position. See I can do that too

big difference. We still had hope for the season then. Cards game was completely meaningless with the exception of draft position.

Hindsight is hindsight. Just like you can say if we lost to the Cards this would have happened. Valrod can say if they beat the Falcons then something else could have happened. it's all hindsight. The results are different but it's the same premise.

its speculative what would have happened in his example. Teams wins and losses have ripple effects. The Arizona game is not speculative. We know exactly what the effects of that game are in terms of draft position.

So you are advocating evaluating a season based solely on draft position? Last game can be used to evaluate players and coaches.

*channeling Herm Edwards*
You play to win the game

• Veteran
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
organization is too stupid to think that far ahead.
This.
Originally posted by English:

End thread.

Exactly, you teach these guys to go 100% all the time, then you tell them to turn it off for the hopes of getting one player NEXT year? Thats not the business
Yeah, if they only drafted at #5, they would be in the Superbowl next year. The Niners have proven how draft position translates to success when they last had a #1 overall pick. Riiiight.
  • Ring6
  • Veteran
good poll.

Win all the way... I'm surprised how many people actually would want us to go out and purposefully lose. F*** that.
NEVER LOSE MENTALITY, ALL THE TIME!!!
Share 49ersWebzone