LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 353 users in the forums

Harbaugh channels Walsh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Who here has played offense at at least a high school level? I played on teams in H.S. that ran the same system throughout the program for years. We were taught the same offensive system from freshman year forward so by the time we were Juniors we had it down pat. We did spring football, we did passing camps and we got together on our own to put in more reps. And even with that, once August hit it took us at least two weeks of two a days to get our s**t together enough to function in a game situation.

I know we're talking about the best football players in the world when it comes to the NFL, and it might seem silly to compare this to High School in any way, but I can only imagine what it's like trying to cram learning an entirely new NFL caliber system into 12 practices and expect to compete at a high level.

I had high expectations, but looking back that was wishful thinking and pretty naive.

Great post!
Who here has played offense at at least a high school level? I played on teams in H.S. that ran the same system throughout the program for years. We were taught the same offensive system from freshman year forward so by the time we were Juniors we had it down pat. We did spring football, we did passing camps and we got together on our own to put in more reps. And even with that, once August hit it took us at least two weeks of two a days to get our s**t together enough to function in a game situation. I know we're talking about the best football players in the world when it comes to the NFL, and it might seem silly to compare this to High School in any way, but I can only imagine what it's like trying to cram learning an entirely new NFL caliber system into 12 practices and expect to compete at a high level. I had high expectations, but looking back that was wishful thinking and pretty naive.

Very well put. Couldnt agree more. This team is proba lt going to be sloppy for a good part of the season. I'm really not expecting much. I just hope to see them consistently improve.
Who here has played offense at at least a high school level? I played on teams in H.S. that ran the same system throughout the program for years. We were taught the same offensive system from freshman year forward so by the time we were Juniors we had it down pat. We did spring football, we did passing camps and we got together on our own to put in more reps. And even with that, once August hit it took us at least two weeks of two a days to get our s**t together enough to function in a game situation.

I know we're talking about the best football players in the world when it comes to the NFL, and it might seem silly to compare this to High School in any way, but I can only imagine what it's like trying to cram learning an entirely new NFL caliber system into 12 practices and expect to compete at a high level.

I had high expectations, but looking back that was wishful thinking and pretty naive.

Awesome post. We can both agree that a good amount of posters on here have never played football.
Originally posted by 190836:

Unless your HC is Singletary and OC Jimmy Raye, then it would take you maybe 2 hours to learn the system. Run up the middle 90% of the time and then throw to the TE on a fly pattern the rest of the time.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Singletary would have ripped Lowell limb from limb if he came at him with this type of article.

You don't know that!

I don't know why but this made me lol.
The Saints game and the Aftermat are perfect for a Mike Singletary phrase.
It was good medicine, bitter to swallow but good medicine.

And I have to agree with that one, and it´s better to get your O line´s ass violated in the first preseason game in mid August.

Also preseason means nothing we wen 4-0 last year destroyed the colts 31-7 and then went off to lose 5 in a row.

Harbaugh will be fine, give him time.
Originally posted by niner4life21:

Awesome post. We can both agree that a good amount of posters on here have never played football.

Thanks. It sure feels that way . . . especially after a loss.

Profile pic?

Seriously, Post of the Day
Unlike Cohn, Harb is a thinker. I'm sure he watched closely as the Niners were missed handled by Singletary last year and how he named Smith the QB with NO competition, and that truly hurt the team. The point of the QB comp talk is to not about let one guy breathe easy because he has the job in the bag like Alex did last year. Same goes with him not willingly calling out the O Line. He knows they looked like garbage.

But it seems like Cohn aka "Bill Walsh's jock sniffer because he helped him write a book in the 80's or 90's", thinks he knows what it takes to be a great coach because he was Walsh's scribe for his book as Walsh talked about his knowledge of the game. Harb knows its not necessary for the new coach to call guys out, make players feel like they have a free pass to a starting spot and let the media know after pre-season Game 1. Cohn has some occasional good write up. OCCASIONAL. But for the most part, when Cohn writes, I always expect bull****.

• kray28
  • Veteran
I can be pretty alarmist, but Cohn is flat out overreacting right now.

1. There's no QB controversy...Alex Smith is the starter, you know it, I know it. Harbaugh mentioning a veteran is more a nod towards Kaepernick's lack of experience than it is say anything about Smith's play. He somehow managed to get off 7 passes in a blitz onslaught where he basically hung out to dry my his line and choice of play calls.

2. It really is too early to say anything definite about this team or Harbaugh at this point. The front office just finished purging 5 starters and there were several more that missed the flight due to injury. In addition it was clear that Harbaugh wasn't opening up the playbook right now.

3. They played terrible and I fault the line more than anything because of that....but even that factored in, the Niners have had way better team lose first exhibition in way more pathetic fashion. It was a meaningless game where 80% of the time it was scrub vs. scrub.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by PTulini:
This was my response...

The great Bill Walsh was a combined 8-24 during his first 2 years with the 49ers. It wasn't until the end of his second year and into his third that things really began to click. As much as you want to be Debbie Downer, the real fans know that we have to give Harbaugh time to build this team his way. As the saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day."

that is an excuse for poor performance, because every BAD coach will also start the same way. It's back to the "Einstein got F's in science. My son get's F's in science. Therefore, my son may be the next Einstein" logic again.

you are right. getting smashed in a preseason game is irrefutable proof that Harbaugh is a bad coach and we are a bad team. fire them all now, blow it up!

for the last 6 months, you've been responding to my posts exactly like another poster did for a few years as a part time job..... taking something I didn't say or extrapolating something I did say to the point of ridiculous and then embedding it in a response dripping with sarcasm. what's up with that, brah?

You know that's not what I said. What frustrates me is when fans not only tolerate but embrace ineptitude by drawing comparisons to super stars that were inept early on, as if that somehow justifies ineptitude, knowing that 99.9999999% of the time, ineptitude is not later followed by genius. It's the Einstein example, I don't know how to make it any more clear than that. It may be totally normal for us to lay an egg in that first preseason game, but I'll be damned if I'll sit back while someone justifies three bad seasons to come because some other niner team followed that up with a superbowl. It's like welcoming cancer because you might be the next Lance Armstrong.
This was my response...

The great Bill Walsh was a combined 8-24 during his first 2 years with the 49ers. It wasn't until the end of his second year and into his third that things really began to click. As much as you want to be Debbie Downer, the real fans know that we have to give Harbaugh time to build this team his way. As the saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day."

that is an excuse for poor performance, because every BAD coach will also start the same way. It's back to the "Einstein got F's in science. My son get's F's in science. Therefore, my son may be the next Einstein" logic again.

you are right. getting smashed in a preseason game is irrefutable proof that Harbaugh is a bad coach and we are a bad team. fire them all now, blow it up!

for the last 6 months, you've been responding to my posts exactly like another poster did for a few years as a part time job..... taking something I didn't say or extrapolating something I did say to the point of ridiculous and then embedding it in a response dripping with sarcasm. what's up with that, brah?

You know that's not what I said. What frustrates me is when fans not only tolerate but embrace ineptitude by drawing comparisons to super stars that were inept early on, as if that somehow justifies ineptitude, knowing that 99.9999999% of the time, ineptitude is not later followed by genius. It's the Einstein example, I don't know how to make it any more clear than that. It may be totally normal for us to lay an egg in that first preseason game, but I'll be damned if I'll sit back while someone justifies three bad seasons to come because some other niner team followed that up with a superbowl. It's like welcoming cancer because you might be the next Lance Armstrong.

I don't normally agree with Shaj on a lot of things but I can definitely understand your perspective. It's VERY hard to believe that this team will turn it around. And let's be even more honest...this first pre-season game was easily one of the worst starts (pre-season or not) I've seen. So..add that to the mix and it's even harder to accept, "guys...it will get better...give it time." We've given it 9 years (yes 9 years..believe it or not...49ers had problems BEFORE we drafted Alex).

Now that said...what differentiates today from "yesterday" is that we hear the coaches and players ACTIVELY working on the very specific mistakes that plagued them before. Like today, Harbaugh made the QBs work on throwing to WRs running slant patterns to COUNTER heavy blitzes. He made them do this over and over. They also spent time working on protection and the passing game. So..if we're going to put so much stock in what we saw in the first game of preseason..then it's only fair to put stock in these adjustments we see afterwards.

Agree or no?
Originally posted by AJ_Larrea954:

. . . and they both like jumping the shark
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
This was my response...

I don't normally agree with Shaj on a lot of things but I can definitely understand your perspective. It's VERY hard to believe that this team will turn it around. And let's be even more honest...this first pre-season game was easily one of the worst starts (pre-season or not) I've seen. So..add that to the mix and it's even harder to accept, "guys...it will get better...give it time." We've given it 9 years (yes 9 years..believe it or not...49ers had problems BEFORE we drafted Alex).

Now that said...what differentiates today from "yesterday" is that we hear the coaches and players ACTIVELY working on the very specific mistakes that plagued them before. Like today, Harbaugh made the QBs work on throwing to WRs running slant patterns to COUNTER heavy blitzes. He made them do this over and over. They also spent time working on protection and the passing game. So..if we're going to put so much stock in what we saw in the first game of preseason..then it's only fair to put stock in these adjustments we see afterwards.

Agree or no?

I didn't say anywhere that this team can't or won't turn things around. It's entirely plausible, and I hope they do. But I'm not going to compare us to bad teams that later won the superbowl and extrapolate that because we too are a bad team, therefore we may also be on that SB track. Complacency and arrogance are the biggest enemies of the road to success.
Share 49ersWebzone