LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 218 users in the forums

Fangio not impressed by Lawson (per Glenn Dickey article)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WillisOnThree:
What is Lawson worth, far as trading for draft picks?

Nothing. You can't trade a free agent.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Lawson is probably the most overrated player on the webzone.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
from the day he was drafted, i was against it.. the guy was a very good athlete, but i just never thought he was worth a top 20 pick.. of cors, that was under Nolan..

he got impressed when Lawson's elbow passed the basketball rim when they asked him to jump.. i doubted that they bothered watching him play at NC State.. ive always said that he was an athletic DE, but he isnt a true LB..

Nolan infact tried this with Andre Carter and ended up failing...
  • dj43
Originally posted by 9moon:
from the day he was drafted, i was against it.. the guy was a very good athlete, but i just never thought he was worth a top 20 pick.. of cors, that was under Nolan..

he got impressed when Lawson's elbow passed the basketball rim when they asked him to jump.. i doubted that they bothered watching him play at NC State.. ive always said that he was an athletic DE, but he isnt a true LB..

Nolan infact tried this with Andre Carter and ended up failing...

He would be a very good OLB in a 4-3. Put him behind John Abraham in Atlanta and he would be terrific. Chicago and NY Giants would also be a good fit for him.

Lawson is a bright guy who understands the game and situation very well. I fully expect him to leave as soon as FA opens, and he will wind up with some very nice offers from some very good teams. He just isn't the right fit in the defense that Nolan/Sing had been running.
Manny Lawson in a 3-4 is like having a pitcher who is great at hitting but below average at pitching. A good player but not good at what you need to be good at for that position. I think he could do good in a different scheme but he simply is a very poor pass rusher. The niners have probably given up many big passing plays that they wouldn't have given up if Manny could get to the QB.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
You guys that think Davis should have started are just pathetic. Smith may not be a great QB, but he was definitely the best one on the roster last year.

Well here is food for thought, if you think that Singletary and Raye were inept and screwed over you know who (whose name shall not to mentioned-Voldemort-aaaaiiiiiyyeeeee!) then who is to say they were wrong about Nate. Only time will tell. It will be a b***h if he makes the seachickens team and beats us in the future.
This guy Razzano is a dope. What does he think? that Harbough's player analysis consisted of youtube highlight videos??? and Alex got 2 head coaches fired??????
It had nothing to do with the fact that they couldn't actually you know, coach. I always look back to when Urban Meyer (Alex's most success under him) said that Alex needs to learn a system and get comfortable and then he is extremely good as his college numbers support. So what do the niners do? 7 OC's in 7 years, not to mention ignoring the receiver position for years. Way to help a guy out.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Shaj:
He also said that Smith already got two coaches fired. I couldn't agree more.

Those guys got themselves fired. Dingleberry has no business ever being a HC at any level. The guy is an absolute idiot. NoWin throws his players under the bus. You need more of a leader than that. 2 guys who really shouldn't have been HC's. But it's not surprising since the York family has made almost all disastrous hires until Harbaugh. Everybody up to him was terrible.

If Smith lit it up like a #1 pick is supposed to, Nolan would still be our coach.

Those guys got themselves fired. Dingleberry has no business ever being a HC at any level. The guy is an absolute idiot. NoWin throws his players under the bus. You need more of a leader than that. 2 guys who really shouldn't have been HC's. But it's not surprising since the York family has made almost all disastrous hires until Harbaugh. Everybody up to him was terrible.

If Smith lit it up like a #1 pick is supposed to, Nolan would still be our coach.

nolan was smart enough to get norv to run the offense (didnt do tht bad under him) his fault was that no one on the team respected him enough for him to run the team his problem wasnt really coaching its just no one was willing to follow him much like wade phillips in dallas
  • dj43
Originally posted by excelsior:
I am extremely skeptical of Rozanno's claim that the only calls Smith will get are from teams wanting him as a backup.

I am sure Alex wants to start. If Maiocco is right that Alex's agent told the 49ers that they are intent on testing the free agent market this year - i. e. - don't bother to make an offer to extend his contract now - this suggests that Alex's agent KNOWS that there are other pretty good opportunities out there.

I know that teams are not supposed to engage in tampering, but it is the agent's job to know what interest there is out there, and there are ways that teams get the word out to agents. If Alex and his agent thought Razanno was right, they would cut a deal with the 49ers now because it would be a place where Alex would have a good chance of starting next year.
Rozanno has an opinion like anyone else...and his is no better than a couple dozen others who are trying to turn their opinion into cash.

I fully agree with your statement on Smith's agent. We can be certain he already has about half a dozen teams on speed dial as a result of previous conversations about Alex. If Smith really is not interested in returning to the 49ers, his agent will be on the phone the minute the new CBA is signed. There is nothing preventing him from contacting other teams at this point. Alex already knows how much interest there is out there and from whom.

• dj43
Originally posted by walker807:
Manny Lawson in a 3-4 is like having a pitcher who is great at hitting but below average at pitching. A good player but not good at what you need to be good at for that position. I think he could do good in a different scheme but he simply is a very poor pass rusher. The niners have probably given up many big passing plays that they wouldn't have given up if Manny could get to the QB.

He isn't "poor," he just hasn't been used very much in that role.

I would like to see what he could do in some of the Capers/Fangio blitz packages. With his speed and quickness, he could be very effective as a pass rusher. For an example of what that would look like, review tapes of GB and how many times Capers would bring a guy off the corner untouched to the QB. He has several packages where his schemes just overloads the pass protection and a quick, fast guy like Lawson can cause havoc.
Alex sure did prove Razzano wrong!
not saying much but Alex was by far the best statistical QB in the west. Think if he had recievers who could catch and a coach who could scheme......
lol it looks like will be taking a passrusher.

Come on Shaj, I know you're better than this.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone