LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

Does anybody agree with Harbaugh in this article?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does anybody agree with Harbaugh in this article?

Why doesn't a reporter call him out on I with a followup question about Smiths inconsistency wig the short pass and if he's noticed that Smith does not throw slants and that most of his completions are on the 12 plus routes.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by WildBill:
I said this before and will beat the dead horse again. Harbaugh is just keeping his options open in an uncertain year due to CBA. He doesn't want to burn bridges. Alex is famliar with the team. Is he what Harbaugh says and does Harbaugh really mean it? Well, its just good poker playing if you ask me, or in football, a good misdirection. why are people so simple minded?

Why does he make no comments about Troy Smith? when he is asked about him he says oh well i dont want to talk about specific players and blah blah but yet he openly talks about Alex Smith?

Harbaugh has said he has studied all potential FA as well as our current players maybe he thinks Alex is the best option for QB.

Because why go after two FA QBs who are lame, pick one and he chose Alex. Alex is the lesser of two evils and Smith has a better rapport with VD.
Lol I can't believe 55% voted yes. LMAO.

I know people will say the whole 'how can you think you know more than Harbaugh?' argument, but I am not fooled by a head coach saying nice things about a player. I know he is just trying to stay close to Alex in case there is a lockout, and also because there's this thing called being politically correct.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Apparently having been a NFL qb and the hottest coach coming out of college who had developed a couple of qb, could not compare to some experts on the Zone. This thread is evident, there are many who think they are much more qualified than Harbaugh.

By no means do I think I am more qualed than JH. But people are so simplistic and take everything at face value. Don't good coaches cause alot of misdirections to create mismatches that is favorable to the team. Well it applies with personnel also and not just on the field.
  • dj43
Harbaugh sees the little things the fans don't see, such as, the OL not creating passing lanes, the receivers not running consistent routes, receivers not reading defenses correctly...Harbaugh sees those things and compares them to times when the pieces fit, and he makes a professional judgement.

Most fans only watch the ball and have no idea about how many other pieces must fit in this TEAM game in order for a pass to be completed. As a result, they call all of these other things "excuses."

That is the difference between fanATICSs and professionals.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Apparently having been a NFL qb and the hottest coach coming out of college who had developed a couple of qb, could not compare to some experts on the Zone. This thread is evident, there are many who think they are much more qualified than Harbaugh.

By no means do I think I am more qualed than JH. But people are so simplistic and take everything at face value. Don't good coaches cause alot of misdirections to create mismatches that is favorable to the team. Well it applies with personnel also and not just on the field.

You're inferring from his statement that somehow Harbaugh is talking up Smith to keep Smith on the team for next year as one of our qb, but at the same time he stands to lose a lot of credibility with the rest of the NFL if Smith is contrary on tape to his evaluation. So the simplest explanation is most likely true, which is Harbaugh means exactly what he said about Smith.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 18, 2011 at 9:54 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
Harbaugh sees the little things the fans don't see, such as, the OL not creating passing lanes, the receivers not running consistent routes, receivers not reading defenses correctly...Harbaugh sees those things and compares them to times when the pieces fit, and he makes a professional judgement.

Most fans only watch the ball and have no idea about how many other pieces must fit in this TEAM game in order for a pass to be completed. As a result, they call all of these other things "excuses."

They are excuses. How come we've never said: 'Wow, these receivers are not getting the ball. Why aren't they producing?'

Why is it ALWAYS the other way around. Every excuse applies to Alex Smith, but not to he rest of the team.
58% of the time, he's accurate EVERY time!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Alex is about accurate as a blind gang banger doing a drive by shooting.

Could not have said it better!

Alot of people wont want to hear that Jim sees something in Alex cause it conflicts with all the hate/blame they have placed on one person - Alex. The world will end and up will be down. Seems like most people these days look for an easy answer or solution and never dig deep. Most things are not black or white but rather shades of gray and I think Jim knows sees that in Alex and probably alot of our players that have not fully developed under the previous HC's.

Originally posted by niner4life21:

They are excuses. How come we've never said: 'Wow, these receivers are not getting the ball. Why aren't they producing? Could it be that the QB isn't delivering them the ball when they're open?'

Why is it ALWAYS the other way around. Every excuse applies to Alex Smith, but not to he rest of the team.
What else is he supposed to say? He rated accuracy as THE #1 trait he wants in a QB. Carr is the only QB under contract. It's called the CYA provision, if for some reason this position can't get upgraded through FA or the draft, Alex is the best option we have and kudos to Jim for playing it this way. Finally a coach with foresight!

It's true though, Alex is very accurate... when everything goes right, but his mechanics(happy feet, waits for a WR to get open rather than throwing him open) cause him to be inaccurate and allows for the defense to key in on where he is going with the ball. But every NFL QB is accurate under the perfect circumstances, that's why they are in the NFL. Just like we needed with our coaching staff, and hopefully finally got, we need a QB with creativity.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
I said this before and will beat the dead horse again. Harbaugh is just keeping his options open in an uncertain year due to CBA. He doesn't want to burn bridges. Alex is famliar with the team. Is he what Harbaugh says and does Harbaugh really mean it? Well, its just good poker playing if you ask me, or in football, a good misdirection. why are people so simple minded?

i think u may be in denial

if its just a poker game there is no need to like alex this much and also there is no point of talking him up this much because its not like they can trade him he is going way above and beyond on what he has t do to let alex join the team if there is no cba

No I am not in denial-several beat writers and analyst have said something to the effect. Why? It has nothing to do with trade. It has to do with making other teams think that the niners might not be that desperate at that position. This is to make them think that the niners might not be after a QB so high in the draft 1rst or 2nd round or even third and that the niners will not be as desperate to trade or get milked in a trade.

So my friend it is you who are in denial and need to learn poker. As I have also said in an uncertain year, alex maybe the only solution till he gets someone he really wants for the second and third year.

I think most of what you are saying is true, but I have a feeling Harbaugh is warming up to (settle for) Smith now. Remember that Smith is likable, hardworking and good at practices. And he was tossing the ball around with Harbaugh. My guess is he was pretty accurate and confident during practices.
If you're going to put a poll up, just put the effin poll up without trying to persuade people with your bias. Not really a poll if you're telling people how you feel right off the bat.
Originally posted by pigskin:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

i think u may be in denial

if its just a poker game there is no need to like alex this much and also there is no point of talking him up this much because its not like they can trade him he is going way above and beyond on what he has t do to let alex join the team if there is no cba

No I am not in denial-several beat writers and analyst have said something to the effect. Why? It has nothing to do with trade. It has to do with making other teams think that the niners might not be that desperate at that position. This is to make them think that the niners might not be after a QB so high in the draft 1rst or 2nd round or even third and that the niners will not be as desperate to trade or get milked in a trade.

So my friend it is you who are in denial and need to learn poker. As I have also said in an uncertain year, alex maybe the only solution till he gets someone he really wants for the second and third year.

I think most of what you are saying is true, but I have a feeling Harbaugh is warming up to (settle for) Smith now. Remember that Smith is likable, hardworking and good at practices. And he was tossing the ball around with Harbaugh. My guess is he was pretty accurate and confident during practices.

All these point are great. It's a pretty conceivable scenario that getting Alex to stay in SF next year is our best option. A great option, no, but his work ethic is never questioned, he has the physical tools, and he is established as an "average/mediocre/capable" NFL QB. There is no uncertainty to what a coach is getting with Alex at this point. There are 31 other teams that would sign him in a heartbeat as a backup QB.

If the draft wasnt happening before FA, the niners could probably sign Alex to an extension and then bundle him in a trade along with picks and get Kolb. Would of been nice, we get Kolb and Philly gets a decent backup for when Vick gets injured. Who knows maybe Philly is already targeting Alex so they can shop Kolb.

A drafted QB not only would have ?'s but with this CBA BS we are already at a disadvantage. As much as I want to win now, we as fans probably need to view this season as a practice season. With our main needs at QB, CB, OLB, and OL depth, the niners could be screwed.
Share 49ersWebzone