LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 313 users in the forums

Alex Smith the starter next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I give this thread 15 pages before a few vehement posters force the mods to lock it up for inappropriate comments.

15...wow I think much less haha.

But I'm all for bringing Alex back.

It might go over...

I don't mind if he comes back, but I do want us to try and improve at the position. I just don't want another Troy Smith experiment because people are so fed up with Alex that they'd actually try a QB who is worse.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
I don't think my TV can take another year of Alex Smith...

Seriously though, if Alex starts, there is no way I'm renewing my NFL Sunday ticket. I'm sick of paying so much to watch our team lose year after year...

Exactly. It's just better to move on and start over. However, if the CBA doesn't get resolved, then I obviously want him back. But if there is a FA period in the next couple months, I'd like the team to look outside the roster for our QB.

I just don't think he's a good fit for the WCO and would rather see any QB with an upside get the reps or a vet that already knows the system start. Most of us know Alex isn't the answer. If we brought him back, it would be for only one season; and we all know how well Alex does in his first, or even second, season of a new system.

There are always a few, on the decline, veteran QBs available each year. I'm sure we could find a much better stopgap WCO QB as we develop a rookie for the future...
Who? What would they cost?

We've been through this examination ad nauseum and there are just no reasonable options out there. Without sacrificing a 1st round draft pick, or at the very best, the #45 overall pick (2nd round) there just aren't any decent QBs available.

Does anyone really think Carson Palmer is worth either of those picks? Orton? Kolb?

Johnson might be available, but at what price?

??????

Who would have thought Troy Smith would have been cut last year????? How about all the Vet QB trades? Mcnabb, Rosenfels, etc...

The point is that a handful of QB's that are not currently being talked about in trade circles will be traded or cut or somehow become available. What you have been examining "ad nauseum" is the players that are known to be available or rumored about. Other options will present themselves in time...

Now, I'd rather go with a guy that knows the WCO on the decline than a guy who sucks at picking up a new season for our one year stop gap QB... That would be McNabb or maybe even Bulger or some other surprise WCO QB cut or trade.

Smith = Fail and I want the Niners to Win!!!
I don't see any "vet" QBs out there, apart from Orton, who are worth more than a 4th...and I am not very crazy about starting the season with a 4th round draft pick level guy.

As to the issue of "picking up the offense," that has been pretty well debunked here. If Smith could pick up the Martz offense in one off-season I'm pretty sure he would have no trouble recalling what he learned from McCarthy and adding in Harbaugh's tweaks.

Thats the problem he did not p/u Martz offense, that is why Hill was placed in front of him when the season started.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:

Seriously though, if Alex starts, there is no way I'm renewing my NFL Sunday ticket. I'm sick of paying so much to watch our team lose year after year...

Exactly. It's just better to move on and start over. However, if the CBA doesn't get resolved, then I obviously want him back. But if there is a FA period in the next couple months, I'd like the team to look outside the roster for our QB.

I just don't think he's a good fit for the WCO and would rather see any QB with an upside get the reps or a vet that already knows the system start. Most of us know Alex isn't the answer. If we brought him back, it would be for only one season; and we all know how well Alex does in his first, or even second, season of a new system.

There are always a few, on the decline, veteran QBs available each year. I'm sure we could find a much better stopgap WCO QB as we develop a rookie for the future...

We've been through this examination ad nauseum and there are just no reasonable options out there. Without sacrificing a 1st round draft pick, or at the very best, the #45 overall pick (2nd round) there just aren't any decent QBs available.

Does anyone really think Carson Palmer is worth either of those picks? Orton? Kolb?

??????

Who would have thought Troy Smith would have been cut last year????? How about all the Vet QB trades? Mcnabb, Rosenfels, etc...

The point is that a handful of QB's that are not currently being talked about in trade circles will be traded or cut or somehow become available. What you have been examining "ad nauseum" is the players that are known to be available or rumored about. Other options will present themselves in time...

Now, I'd rather go with a guy that knows the WCO on the decline than a guy who sucks at picking up a new season for our one year stop gap QB... That would be McNabb or maybe even Bulger or some other surprise WCO QB cut or trade.

I don't see any "vet" QBs out there, apart from Orton, who are worth more than a 4th...and I am not very crazy about starting the season with a 4th round draft pick level guy.

As to the issue of "picking up the offense," that has been pretty well debunked here. If Smith could pick up the Martz offense in one off-season I'm pretty sure he would have no trouble recalling what he learned from McCarthy and adding in Harbaugh's tweaks.

Thats the problem he did not p/u Martz offense, that is why Hill was placed in front of him when the season started.

Alex got hurt in the preseason and JTO started that year and Smith was going to be the #2 and Hill the #3.

??????

WTF? Smith picked up Martz's O... How many games did Alex start with Martz as the OC? How many regular season passes did he attempt? Who won the TC competition?

How well did Alex do in McCarthy's WCO? How much did he really learn then? Honestly, do you remember just how bad he looked back then?
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Kolb, IMO more upside. We pretty much now what Orton can do with a full season.

Alex Smith is better or on par with both Kolb and Orton. Kolb is the same age as Alex and has been groomed by coaches that know how to bring along QB's. Orton is 28 and didn't really get good until he was 27 or 28 playing under a coach who is good with QB's. Smith's numbers over the last 2 years have been on par or better than both Kolb and Orton. I think under Harbaugh he can get better. We also have to look at the fact that Smith was the best redzone QB in the NFL last year.

Mind = blown

Orton's numbers are far better than Alex's. He has a 2:1 TD to INT ratio in the last 2 years and a QB rating 5 or so points higher. He also turned Brandon Lloyd (the guy who people called a bum) into a pro-bowler. Orton is far better than Alex.

Statistically Alex is better. That Dallas game at the end of the year really hurt Kolb's numbers whereas, Alex's game against the Cards really helped his numbers. But statistically, yes, Alex (with 60 games under his belt) had better numbers than Kolb (20 games experience). Thing is, I still think Kolb is better than Alex. He's more accurate, throws a far better deep ball, has better mechanics, footwork and can still be developed. The fact that he threw for over 300 yards and 3 touchdowns against Atlanta shows me that there's something there. Then throwing for almost 400 against the SB champions the year before was impressive. Alex has never done this.

Anyways, you can make the argument that Alex is better when you look at their stats. But, if you compare them fairly. If you look at Alex's/Kolb's first 20 games. Who was better? I'd rather roll with Kolb, just wouldn't give up much for him as I don't think he's all that good.

Come on man are you comparing the surrounding cast of Kolb and Alex Smith from their first 20 games? Or even this years cast. Let's be real. Kolb hasn't shown that he is better than Alex Smith. He has had some good games and alot of bad ones. You don't like Alex as much because you see his weaknesses every week whereas Kolb's weaknesses are sitting on the bench. It is the classic backup QB siyndrome.

The reality is that Kolb might be better than Smith, but there is a real possibility that Kolb may be worse. If you can't look fairly at the mitigating factors in Smith's tenure with the 49ers then you aren't being reasonable or fair.

The reality is that an unknown, at this point, is better than the known perception of Alex. What that means is that everyone is so fed up with Alex, that we are willing to take a slightly worse player (not saying Kolb is better or worse here) that is an unknown over our preconceived notions of Alex being a failure.

Every incompletion, every INT, every overthrow/off target pass will be over analysed with Alex because under performing has been his norm. With Kolb, a couple of off target passes, or int's will be acceptable because we will still have hope that this is not his norm. This will allow time for Kolb to develop which is something our fan base is not willing to give Alex any more of...

Yeah I agree that when factoring in the fan reaction it would probably be best to move on. I've said that pretty consistently since things started going sour. I'm fine with that, but what that is basically saying is that the fans can't look at the situation objectively. So the organization will be (again this is all hypothetical) letting go of the best option just to appease ignorant fans. That doesn't sit well with me, but I understand why some fans might feel that way, and why the organization will have to think very hard about whether it would be worth it to keep Smith in the event that he is the best option available.
  • dj43

??????

No, if you recall, Smith was injured in '07. Hill was the starter because Smith was coming off the injury in '08 and Nolan chose to stay with his prior starter.

When Smith was re-injured in '07, Martz commented that it was a shame because he had progressed to the point he was ready to take over the offense at that time.

But I'm tired of all this history. None of it will change anyone's mind. Debate is pointless. Smith is clearly the best option this next season.

??????

No, if you recall, Smith was injured in '07. Hill was the starter because Smith was coming off the injury in '08 and Nolan chose to stay with his prior starter.

When Smith was re-injured in '07, Martz commented that it was a shame because he had progressed to the point he was ready to take over the offense at that time.

But I'm tired of all this history. None of it will change anyone's mind. Debate is pointless. Smith is clearly the best option this next season.

Smith is the best option when he is the only option. We cannot afford to go down that road again.

??????

Alex got hurt in the preseason and JTO started that year and Smith was going to be the #2 and Hill the #3.

My goof-was thinking of JTO-point is even though he got hurt Smith was not the man even if he didn't get hurt, people who backed Smith were complaining it was not a fair shake, then Hill came along and took it away from Alex. In the following year. Martz didn't think Smith had what it takes. When all is said and done-I am willing to bet Turner-who smith had his best year (which is not saying much) will say that Smith is not a QB you can ride on.
[ Edited by WildBill on Feb 17, 2011 at 10:40 AM ]
  • dj43

??????

My goof-was thinking of JTO-point is even though he got hurt Smith was not the man even if he didn't get hurt, people who backed Smith were complaining it was not a fair shake, then Hill came along and took it away from Alex. In the following year. Martz didn't think Smith had what it takes. When all is said and done-I am willing to bet Turner-who smith had his best year (which is not saying much) will say that Smith is not a QB you can ride on.
WOW. I have a very different recall of the Martz timing. My recollection is that Smith was -re-injured at a point in '07 where Martz said he was ready to take over the offense. In '08, after Hill had taken over from JTO in '07, Nolan chose to stay with the starter (Hill) based on his '07 performance rather than give the job to Smith. Part of that reasoning by Nolan was that Smith had not begun to throw at 100% until into TC.

As to Smith and McCarthy; that team was so devoid of talent as to be unworthy of discussion. Still, Smith likely would recall some of the theory of WCO from that time.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by excelsior:
The common attitude that I get from most Alex critics is to get rid of him and get someone better. That sounds so simple on the surface. But it bespeaks a failure to appreciate how difficult it is to play QB in the NFL. It is the most difficult position to play and that is why there are so few really good ones.

Consider all of the QBs starting for about 200 major college teams. We have about 80 QBs on 32 NFL rosters. Assuming a 10 year career span, that is only 8 QB rookies going into the NFL each year. Yet, of the 32 teams, there are probably 10 that you would call "elite," the kind a 49er fan demands guide his team in the years to come. On average, that represents only 1 QB coming out of college each year. There may be a few more on rosters that someday will be considered "elite" but history suggests that it isn't many.

Some claim Alex is the worst QB in the NFL, which is a laughable claim. Others, however, complain that he is only average, which he may be, but some teams would love to have just an average QB at the moment.

Some demand that we trade for Kolb, Orton, Palmer, etc. But do not forget that there a at least 10 other teams looking to upgrade their QB and the competition for these guys will be intense and their price will be inflated.

The upshot of this discussion is that I think Harbaugh realizes this as well as any; after all he struggled to be a quality QB himself. He knows that most teams must find a way to win with a QB who is not elite.

Harbaugh probably realizes that Alex is the best available for the moment. It is not certain that Orton, Kolb, Palmer are better than him, and they will cost in valuable draft choices will be excessive, while Alex will not cost them any d/c. So until his critics can point out a truly intelligent alternative path, they should hold their tongues.

Alex Smith has been garbage for his entire career. Anyone is better than him.

Anyone? Really?

This is my only issue with the Alex Smith hate...Some haters, just as some supporters, are so blind that they'd really think ANYTHING is better than alex smith...Case and point: Troy Smith...to me Troy smith was just terrible, far worse than Alex at his worst...yet he has some feverish support just for the fact that he's not alex

David Carr? Nate? just Anyone, really? thats not the answer

When bringing up numbers and stats, consider this, Alex only did decent against low ball competition, and struggled big time against playoff teams. As for the claim someone made about best QB in the redzone-please post the numbers and links before I believe that. Fact is- he didn't get into the red zone that much, else the fans wouldn't be complaining about offense production.

I will say this, Alex will if he comes back, stiffen if things don't go well and people get on his case. I have no doubt that JH can make Alex look better because of his schemes, however, he will never become a QB you can ride the shoulders on. that is my whole point. I have watch games where he misses open receivers more than he should.

Sorry, but Harbaugh's stance and talks is just a man covering his bases and the team, if they are smart, playing the game of deception that will only intensify as the draft looms closer.

nfl.com Situational Stats. Smith inside the 20 QB rating of 118.8.

Compared to:

Brady: 109.8
Manning:105.5
Kolb: 98.2
Rogers: 108.5
Orton: 91.5
McNabb: 99.7
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 17, 2011 at 11:24 AM ]
Originally posted by 1swift:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by excelsior:
The common attitude that I get from most Alex critics is to get rid of him and get someone better. That sounds so simple on the surface. But it bespeaks a failure to appreciate how difficult it is to play QB in the NFL. It is the most difficult position to play and that is why there are so few really good ones.

Consider all of the QBs starting for about 200 major college teams. We have about 80 QBs on 32 NFL rosters. Assuming a 10 year career span, that is only 8 QB rookies going into the NFL each year. Yet, of the 32 teams, there are probably 10 that you would call "elite," the kind a 49er fan demands guide his team in the years to come. On average, that represents only 1 QB coming out of college each year. There may be a few more on rosters that someday will be considered "elite" but history suggests that it isn't many.

Some claim Alex is the worst QB in the NFL, which is a laughable claim. Others, however, complain that he is only average, which he may be, but some teams would love to have just an average QB at the moment.

Some demand that we trade for Kolb, Orton, Palmer, etc. But do not forget that there a at least 10 other teams looking to upgrade their QB and the competition for these guys will be intense and their price will be inflated.

The upshot of this discussion is that I think Harbaugh realizes this as well as any; after all he struggled to be a quality QB himself. He knows that most teams must find a way to win with a QB who is not elite.

Harbaugh probably realizes that Alex is the best available for the moment. It is not certain that Orton, Kolb, Palmer are better than him, and they will cost in valuable draft choices will be excessive, while Alex will not cost them any d/c. So until his critics can point out a truly intelligent alternative path, they should hold their tongues.

Alex Smith has been garbage for his entire career. Anyone is better than him.

Anyone? Really?

This is my only issue with the Alex Smith hate...Some haters, just as some supporters, are so blind that they'd really think ANYTHING is better than alex smith...Case and point: Troy Smith...to me Troy smith was just terrible, far worse than Alex at his worst...yet he has some feverish support just for the fact that he's not alex

David Carr? Nate? just Anyone, really? thats not the answer

Come on now, Troy didn't know enough of the playbook to be fairly evaluated; but even with his limited knowledge, he directed some nice comebacks and had a couple good games.

With as many excuses people make for Alex, I cant understand why they cannot see a simple fact like knowing the playbook helps a QB execute the O.
Get me a REAL proven vet QB like a Carson Palmer or Kyle Orton
shoot ill take Kevin Kolb right now over this pampered little b*tch

GTFO OUT ALEXIS!!!

PLEASE DONT CONSIDER COMING BACK!!!!!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
When bringing up numbers and stats, consider this, Alex only did decent against low ball competition, and struggled big time against playoff teams. As for the claim someone made about best QB in the redzone-please post the numbers and links before I believe that. Fact is- he didn't get into the red zone that much, else the fans wouldn't be complaining about offense production.

I will say this, Alex will if he comes back, stiffen if things don't go well and people get on his case. I have no doubt that JH can make Alex look better because of his schemes, however, he will never become a QB you can ride the shoulders on. that is my whole point. I have watch games where he misses open receivers more than he should.

Sorry, but Harbaugh's stance and talks is just a man covering his bases and the team, if they are smart, playing the game of deception that will only intensify as the draft looms closer.

nfl.com Situational Stats. Smith inside the 20 QB rating of 118.8.

nfl.com statistics Smith's 1st down% 30.1 only better than Derek Anderson and Jimmy Clausen....

??????

Why does everyone say that Alex had his best year under Norv? He didn't. He looked awful compared to even last year and this year. This year especially he was much better in the pocket, and in making reads. His QB rating was higher, he was more in control of the offense... these arguments on both sides are just more proof of how many times things are regurgitated, spun, and codified without USING YOUR BRAIN. I mean that on both sides too. I have seen supporters use 2006 and say it was his best season. Guess what? He looked horrible for a good part of 2006, but was only better because in 2005 he was maybe the worst rookie Starting QB of all time.

To say that He hasn't improved shows no lack of football or QB understanding. He has improved an incredible amount since 2006 in almost every facet of the game. He has improved to the point where he is at least a servicable starting QB in the league who still possesses some upside.
Share 49ersWebzone