Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
--What team do you model the 49ers after to make them a champion? Baalke said he's not sure they're going to model themselves after anybody. They want to build a winning organization, Baalke said. They look back at the formulas that have been successful, but they're going to build it their way, he said. "You got to be who you are. We're going to respect what other teams have done, but we're going to build it our way." Harbaugh said they have the best model in all of professional, how the 49ers did it. "We want to build a bully," Harbaugh said.
Read more: Harbaugh, Baalke answer questions from 49ers fans
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

For some reason this one line of Harbaugh's really got me pumped. For years now, I've watch 49er games never more than hoping we would be lucky enough to eek out a victory. Long gone are the days when I turned on a Niner game only to wonder how much we would win by and not if we would win. So when Harbaugh said, "we want to build a bully," I near jumped out of my chair. Oh how I hope the Niners get it right this time, because I'd love to watch a bully on Sunday morning.

Sing said that same stuff with our ol.....but i actually believe our new coach can do that. All we need is another fight guard and we will win our division as is. Even with our qb situation and our cbs.

as is? that's a reach, i don't think Troy smith can do it.....

No not a reach at all.....in our division it is not a reach. We have the best d the best running game best te....and with alex smith the best or at least similar qb.....without alex our qb takes a bit of a hit bit still on d running game and te we could win the division with these new coaches ALONE

Sorry, but there's no way Alex Smith is the best QB in the division (if he stays). Sam Bradford was better last year and will probably get a lot better than that this year. No chance.

If you check, Smith's rating was well above Bradford's.

This past season, Hasselback was the best in the division. Smith was #2. Bradford #3. AZ not in the mix.

So let me get this straight.. You're gonna imply that Smith was better than Bradford because his QB rating was higher, but then you're gonna turn around and say that Hasselbeck was the best in the division when his rating was even lower than Bradford's? Get your argument straight.

That being said, I'm basing Bradford's superiority on his actual play, not his stats. Bradford was the best QB in the NFC West last year, period. He'll probably get a lot better next year.
Bradford simply was not superior. Not in play or statistically.

You must not have seen him play very much.

Yes, Hasselback was superior.

On the contrary. My cousin is a Rams fan who has been living with me since last summer. Due to this, I've watched every single game Sam Bradford has played in on DVR, hoping I'd see him fail miserably. I never got my wish.
  • dj43
--What team do you model the 49ers after to make them a champion? Baalke said he's not sure they're going to model themselves after anybody. They want to build a winning organization, Baalke said. They look back at the formulas that have been successful, but they're going to build it their way, he said. "You got to be who you are. We're going to respect what other teams have done, but we're going to build it our way." Harbaugh said they have the best model in all of professional, how the 49ers did it. "We want to build a bully," Harbaugh said.
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

For some reason this one line of Harbaugh's really got me pumped. For years now, I've watch 49er games never more than hoping we would be lucky enough to eek out a victory. Long gone are the days when I turned on a Niner game only to wonder how much we would win by and not if we would win. So when Harbaugh said, "we want to build a bully," I near jumped out of my chair. Oh how I hope the Niners get it right this time, because I'd love to watch a bully on Sunday morning.

Sing said that same stuff with our ol.....but i actually believe our new coach can do that. All we need is another fight guard and we will win our division as is. Even with our qb situation and our cbs.

No not a reach at all.....in our division it is not a reach. We have the best d the best running game best te....and with alex smith the best or at least similar qb.....without alex our qb takes a bit of a hit bit still on d running game and te we could win the division with these new coaches ALONE

Sorry, but there's no way Alex Smith is the best QB in the division (if he stays). Sam Bradford was better last year and will probably get a lot better than that this year. No chance.

This past season, Hasselback was the best in the division. Smith was #2. Bradford #3. AZ not in the mix.

So let me get this straight.. You're gonna imply that Smith was better than Bradford because his QB rating was higher, but then you're gonna turn around and say that Hasselbeck was the best in the division when his rating was even lower than Bradford's? Get your argument straight.

That being said, I'm basing Bradford's superiority on his actual play, not his stats. Bradford was the best QB in the NFC West last year, period. He'll probably get a lot better next year.

On the contrary. My cousin is a Rams fan who has been living with me since last summer. Due to this, I've watched every single game Sam Bradford has played in on DVR, hoping I'd see him fail miserably. I never got my wish.
Well, if the two of you saw those games, especially the second half of the season, and truly still think Bradford is better than Alex Smith and Matt Hasselback, then I have nothing for you.

Well, if the two of you saw those games, especially the second half of the season, and truly still think Bradford is better than Alex Smith and Matt Hasselback, then I have nothing for you.

There were about 4 games in which he looked bad. Two of them were against playoff-bound teams, but there's no excuse for the poor play against Seattle and Arizona (I don't even count Seattle as a playoff team). However, he wasn't bad in either of the games against us or against Atlanta and Denver.

That being said, I'm looking at his overall body of work, meaning the whole season. Unless, of course, the 2nd half is the only portion of the season that counts.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I don't get too excited about these punchlines, whether they are coming from Singletary or Harbaugh or anyone.

All these Physical with a F or building a bully - all same to me. We just need to win the game, whether we win with finesse and guile or with beating down the opponent physically - either way - I just want to WIN.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
All of you Debbie Downers can twist this however you like, (comparing Jim Harbaugh to Singletary and Nolan ) but truthfully there are different ways to accomplish what he's talking about doing. You can be tough and physical while still being creative with the playbook. You will see more creativity on offense. It won't be the same predictable runs up the middle. I don't think that the word predictable is even in Jim Harbaugh's vocabulary!

The point I'm tryin' to make is - these things are meaningless. It's more of a PR stunt than anythin' else. No one is going to come out and say, we want a smart finesse team that will beat other teams with with trick plays and mis-directions - even if that's what their identity is. They will always say, we want a physically dominating team.

I would much rather prefer a coach who will adapt to his players, rather than fit players into his system. I hope if Harbaugh feels that we have a better chance by spreading them out and throwing 5-8 yard passes - he willl install that sort of offense.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Feb 17, 2011 at 5:42 AM ]
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
And his stats are not a reflection of his play? That makes no sense.

-9fA

Let me put it to you like this: Frank Gore is a top rushing RB in the NFL. Do his rushing stats reflect that? No. Why? Well, if I have to answer that for you, you haven't been keeping up with this team.

If you watch him, you know he's elite. If you just sit there and look at his stats, you don't.

Whether you want to be oblivious to it or not, a player's stats are in a large part, a reflection of their play. Do they tell the whole story? No. And yes Frank Gore is a good example.

You said "Sam Bradford was better last year and will probably get a lot better than that this year." If you're going to chuck out stats, then your view is simply a subjective opinion which I'm not going to change. Bradford has been far from "elite".

I do however agree with your second statement that Bradford will likely be at least equal if not better than Smith next year. I also agree that Bradford has the potential to be a very good QB in the future.

-9fA
  • dj43

There were about 4 games in which he looked bad. Two of them were against playoff-bound teams, but there's no excuse for the poor play against Seattle and Arizona (I don't even count Seattle as a playoff team). However, he wasn't bad in either of the games against us or against Atlanta and Denver.

That being said, I'm looking at his overall body of work, meaning the whole season. Unless, of course, the 2nd half is the only portion of the season that counts.
Ask NO about how "non-playoff" Seattle is.

Bradford got off to a good start last season because other teams had no film on him and Shurmur did a very good job giving him only half the field to read and used Amendola and Jackson very well to make sure he always had an easy target. As the season progressed, and teams figured out what Shurmur was doing, Bradford struggled mightily.

Other than the two SF games and one game against that horrid Denver defense, in the final 8 games of the season, his rating was 59! In fact, if you take out the SF games, Denver and Carolina, his season rating was 61. I agree he showed promise but that is hardly an overall impressive body of work, IMO.
Maybe we should lobby to change the name of this website to, "TheAlexSmithWebzone"
Maybe we should lobby to change the name of this website to, "TheAlexSmithWebzone"

nah just need 2 websites

proalex9erwebzone.com
antialex9erwebzone.com
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

nah just need 2 websites

proalex9erwebzone.com
antialex9erwebzone.com

This will go down as one of the epic philosophical battles of all time.

Catholics vs. Protestants

Sunni vs. Shiite

Bradford got off to a good start last season because other teams had no film on him and Shurmur did a very good job giving him only half the field to read and used Amendola and Jackson very well to make sure he always had an easy target. As the season progressed, and teams figured out what Shurmur was doing, Bradford struggled mightily.

Other than the two SF games and one game against that horrid Denver defense, in the final 8 games of the season, his rating was 59! In fact, if you take out the SF games, Denver and Carolina, his season rating was 61. I agree he showed promise but that is hardly an overall impressive body of work, IMO.

By the end of the season, Alex Smith > Bradford.

Bradford had major limitations this year and once they were figured out, he sucked just as bad as any rookie QB.

The numbers also don't represent how Alex Smith actually plays and he sucks also, but he's better than Bradford right now. Having said that, Bradford was a rookie.

You're acting like I'm saying he's already one of the better QBs in the league or something. I'm only comparing him to Alex Smith and an injured, over-the-hill Matt Hasselbeck.

I'll retract my statement about Bradford being better than Hasselbeck because I admit I only saw him in 4 or 5 of Matt's games all year and I wasn't particularly paying a whole lot of attention to him, but I am very confident in saying Bradford was a better QB than Alex Smith was last year. I saw every single snap they took.

As for your "take away this and that" argument, I'll completely disregard it. Take away a couple games and Jerry Rice doesn't hold the single-season receiving yardage record, Moss doesn't hold the receiving TD record, Marino doesn't hold the passing yardage record, Brady doesn't hold the passing TD record and Peyton Manning doesn't hold it before that. The fact of the matter is the things you're trying to take away from him did indeed happen. No ifs, ands or buts.

-9fA

Let me put it to you like this: Frank Gore is a top rushing RB in the NFL. Do his rushing stats reflect that? No. Why? Well, if I have to answer that for you, you haven't been keeping up with this team.

If you watch him, you know he's elite. If you just sit there and look at his stats, you don't.

Whether you want to be oblivious to it or not, a player's stats are in a large part, a reflection of their play. Do they tell the whole story? No. And yes Frank Gore is a good example.

You said "Sam Bradford was better last year and will probably get a lot better than that this year." If you're going to chuck out stats, then your view is simply a subjective opinion which I'm not going to change. Bradford has been far from "elite".

I do however agree with your second statement that Bradford will likely be at least equal if not better than Smith next year. I also agree that Bradford has the potential to be a very good QB in the future.

-9fA

With or without stats, everybody's opinion is subjective.

Alex Smith's stats, especially the QB rating, are deceiving. He checks down without even scanning his options. Of course his numbers are going to look OK. They'd look even better if he didn't f*ck that up as often as he managed to do. He was the most conservative starting QB in the league. He plays scared and without confidence. Going the safe route makes his numbers look decent, but as we all know, it doesn't help us win any games. If a QB with accuracy on a screen pass would play the way Alex Smith plays, he'd complete 75%+ of his passes and his QB record would probably be in the 90s, however, he wouldn't be helping his team all that much.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Feb 17, 2011 at 4:07 PM ]

-9fA

-9fA

With or without stats, everybody's opinion is subjective.

Alex Smith's stats, especially the QB rating, are deceiving. He checks down without even scanning his options. Of course his numbers are going to look OK. They'd look even better if he didn't f*ck that up as often as he managed to do. He was the most conservative starting QB in the league. He plays scared and without confidence. Going the safe route makes his numbers look decent, but as we all know, it doesn't help us win any games. If a QB with accuracy on a screen pass would play the way Alex Smith plays, he'd complete 75%+ of his passes and his QB record would probably be in the 90s, however, he wouldn't be helping his team all that much.

I thought you said that you saw every game that Bradford played?

If by your account, Smith's QB rating is inflated due to this tendency to checkdown then what does that say about Bradford? Again, if Smith was the "most conservative starting QB in the league", then what does that say about Bradford?

Consider these statistics:
Alex Smith - yards/attempt: 6.9
Sam Bradford - yards/attempt: 6.0

Alex Smith - throws of 20+ yards: 30
Sam Bradford - throws of 20+ yards: 36

Alex Smith - throws of 40+ yards: 7
Sam Bradford - throws of 40+ yards: 4

Bradford completed 354 passes. A. Smith completed 204 passes. Normalizing the above statistics to allow for a fair comparison, you have the following:

Alex Smith - percentage of completions over 20+ yards: 14%
Sam Bradford - percentage of completions over 20+ yards: 10%

Alex Smith - percentage of completions over 40+ yards: 3.4%
Sam Bradford - percentage of completions over 40+ yards: 1.1%

It can be argued that Bradford was more conservative than Smith. So is Bradford's QB rating inflated as well? I personally believe that the QB rating is a good overall indicator of QB performance. I have yet to see anything better. Conclusion: A. Smith was a better QB than Bradford this past year.

-9fA
I can't wait for the day we're blowing people out again...
Share 49ersWebzone