LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 160 users in the forums

"We want to build a bully." - J.Harbaugh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
All of you Debbie Downers can twist this however you like, (comparing Jim Harbaugh to Singletary and Nolan ) but truthfully there are different ways to accomplish what he's talking about doing. You can be tough and physical while still being creative with the playbook. You will see more creativity on offense. It won't be the same predictable runs up the middle. I don't think that the word predictable is even in Jim Harbaugh's vocabulary!
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by dmax:
Didnt coach "dingleberry and idiot nolan" say the same things...really

I just want ...."a good offensive gameplan/structure"

Not only that... They also sung praises of number 11 as well... Harbaugh is sounding more and more like them... Which to me is scary!

Reporter: "Coach, what are your feelings about Alex Smith?"

Coach: "Well, first of all I met him the other day, and, well, meh..."

Reporter: "Meh?"

Coach: "What I mean by that is, I don't particularly like his personality that much; hey don't get me wrong, I don't hate the guy. He's cordial and polite, well spoken, but I don't know, kind of overall, just 'meh'..."

Reporter: "Have you seen film of his play on the field?"

Coach: "Oh ya, definitely. I absolutely spent time watching film of Alex Smith."

Reporter: "And?"

Coach: "Meh..."

Reporter: "Please explain what the heck you mean by, 'meh'".

Coach: "Well, you know, it wasn't all that impressive to me, he's obviously no Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, that's for sure."

Reporter: "Thanks coach, your answers are certainly different from the norm."

LOL.....point taken....
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Our philosophy is this, we go out and hit them in . . .

Oh wait, nevermind.

Between all the praising of Gore and saying we get a big helping of CREATIVE Gore and praising Alex it SOUNDS a lot like No Win and Sing.

God I hope I am wrong and I think Harbaugh actually will not be afraid to win instead of pulling crap like kicking after winning the coin toss.

The Rhetoric, at least, sounds similar so far. Time will tell about the results and I am optimistic. Not Hating.

What do you expect Harbaugh to say at this point?

By the way, I never heard any claims of offensive CREATIVITY from Singletary or Nolan.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
--What team do you model the 49ers after to make them a champion? Baalke said he's not sure they're going to model themselves after anybody. They want to build a winning organization, Baalke said. They look back at the formulas that have been successful, but they're going to build it their way, he said. "You got to be who you are. We're going to respect what other teams have done, but we're going to build it our way." Harbaugh said they have the best model in all of professional, how the 49ers did it. "We want to build a bully," Harbaugh said.
Read more: Harbaugh, Baalke answer questions from 49ers fans
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

For some reason this one line of Harbaugh's really got me pumped. For years now, I've watch 49er games never more than hoping we would be lucky enough to eek out a victory. Long gone are the days when I turned on a Niner game only to wonder how much we would win by and not if we would win. So when Harbaugh said, "we want to build a bully," I near jumped out of my chair. Oh how I hope the Niners get it right this time, because I'd love to watch a bully on Sunday morning.

Sing said that same stuff with our ol.....but i actually believe our new coach can do that. All we need is another fight guard and we will win our division as is. Even with our qb situation and our cbs.

as is? that's a reach, i don't think Troy smith can do it.....

No not a reach at all.....in our division it is not a reach. We have the best d the best running game best te....and with alex smith the best or at least similar qb.....without alex our qb takes a bit of a hit bit still on d running game and te we could win the division with these new coaches ALONE

Sorry, but there's no way Alex Smith is the best QB in the division (if he stays). Sam Bradford was better last year and will probably get a lot better than that this year. No chance.

If you check, Smith's rating was well above Bradford's.

This past season, Hasselback was the best in the division. Smith was #2. Bradford #3. AZ not in the mix.

So let me get this straight.. You're gonna imply that Smith was better than Bradford because his QB rating was higher, but then you're gonna turn around and say that Hasselbeck was the best in the division when his rating was even lower than Bradford's? Get your argument straight.

That being said, I'm basing Bradford's superiority on his actual play, not his stats. Bradford was the best QB in the NFC West last year, period. He'll probably get a lot better next year.
Originally posted by pd24:
--What team do you model the 49ers after to make them a champion? Baalke said he's not sure they're going to model themselves after anybody. They want to build a winning organization, Baalke said. They look back at the formulas that have been successful, but they're going to build it their way, he said. "You got to be who you are. We're going to respect what other teams have done, but we're going to build it our way." Harbaugh said they have the best model in all of professional, how the 49ers did it. "We want to build a bully," Harbaugh said.
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

For some reason this one line of Harbaugh's really got me pumped. For years now, I've watch 49er games never more than hoping we would be lucky enough to eek out a victory. Long gone are the days when I turned on a Niner game only to wonder how much we would win by and not if we would win. So when Harbaugh said, "we want to build a bully," I near jumped out of my chair. Oh how I hope the Niners get it right this time, because I'd love to watch a bully on Sunday morning.

Sing said that same stuff with our ol.....but i actually believe our new coach can do that. All we need is another fight guard and we will win our division as is. Even with our qb situation and our cbs.

No not a reach at all.....in our division it is not a reach. We have the best d the best running game best te....and with alex smith the best or at least similar qb.....without alex our qb takes a bit of a hit bit still on d running game and te we could win the division with these new coaches ALONE

Sorry, but there's no way Alex Smith is the best QB in the division (if he stays). Sam Bradford was better last year and will probably get a lot better than that this year. No chance.

If you base it on numbers, you are wrong.

If you base it on numbers, you didn't watch Sam Bradford play.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

This past season, Hasselback was the best in the division. Smith was #2. Bradford #3. AZ not in the mix.

ya but braford was in his rookie year

the bigest reason is why bradford did well is because their coaches are smart they ran a spread offense in stl which bradford was familar with rather than try to make him run a pro style offense

thats is how u deal with a project qb
Pat Shurmur built the offense in a very conservative way that put very little pressure on Bradford. That was the good news. The bad news was that the package was so limited defenses scouted him and took away much of what he had done in the early season. He really struggled in the second half.

Who was he throwing to again?

Exactly.

So let me get this straight.. You're gonna imply that Smith was better than Bradford because his QB rating was higher, but then you're gonna turn around and say that Hasselbeck was the best in the division when his rating was even lower than Bradford's? Get your argument straight.

That being said, I'm basing Bradford's superiority on his actual play, not his stats. Bradford was the best QB in the NFC West last year, period. He'll probably get a lot better next year.

And his stats are not a reflection of his play? That makes no sense.

-9fA
Not going to be hard being a BULLY in the NFC west, we gotta be a bully in the NFL.......only way to do it is to beat the s**t out of teams. Lets go WCO!!!
Ok, he wants to build a bully. I guess that means a really strong team that opposing teams fear...fine.
As long as he has a smart/good strategy to "consistently" win games, he can say whatever he wants.

Unlike Sing, Harbaugh is talking more than physical. I believe he is talking about the aggressiveness of the overall philosophy. The idea that winning by 7 points is almost losing. The mentality that says we want to beat you so bad in the first three quarters that you are playing our 3rd string QB in the fourth. That's what I picture when he talks about bullying.

That is what I think he meant, this team has not been aggressive enough under the last few coaches, granted the talent level has sucked until the past couple of years, but even when we had talent, the coaches we have had have been unable to take proper advantage of it.

It's hard to build a team into a bully, I think at this stage of next season or next next season with a potential lock out, I might just focus on getting all of the techniques right as far as coaching and getting the players ready for the ideas of the WCO before the march 1st lockout date, and just leaving the media alone. I would follow Walsh's method of coaching, not really saying all that much to the media, and letting my actions speak louder than all of my words put together. There's so much to focus on, I don't know if I would be saying all that much. Not saying that Harbaugh is saying all that much, just speaking of the overall structure of success, and what I believe should be the focus. Just a hurting 9ers fan wishing to get up from this terrible 8-9 year nightmare and get up to an organization headed in the right direction.
ALL 111 MINUTES OF IT BELOW:

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/audio/49ers-Fan-Forum-2011/681efceb-62ef-40ae-b66e-da21f9bf4951

Also, check out interviews with the new coaches (good stuff).

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/video-channel-all-videos.html

Vic, Brad, Greg,

Anyone who doesn't visit the 49ers.com video section on a regular basis should. Lots of interviews on there from the Senior Bowl with players that could potentially be playing for us. 49ers stuff from NFLN on there, coaches, players, etc.
Both Singletary and Harbaugh would like to have a physical football team. The difference is, Harbaugh seems to have the ability to instill the intelligence and mental toughness part of the game for his players. Can't be physical if your players don't know what they are doing on the field half the time. It gets old saying it, but Walsh always prepared the mental, the X and O's, side of football to his guys first before asking them to be physical.
  • dj43

Bradford simply was not superior. Not in play or statistically.

You must not have seen him play very much.

Yes, Hasselback was superior.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

And his stats are not a reflection of his play? That makes no sense.

-9fA

Let me put it to you like this: Frank Gore is a top rushing RB in the NFL. Do his rushing stats reflect that? No. Why? Well, if I have to answer that for you, you haven't been keeping up with this team.

If you watch him, you know he's elite. If you just sit there and look at his stats, you don't.
Share 49ersWebzone