There are 133 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Out of these QB's, who would you start and why?

Out of these QB's, who would you start and why?

Originally posted by DesiDez:
Grbac is the only QB on that list to make the pro bowl.

Judging from the current poll though, its obvious that Alex Smith has been busy this offseason making sure his family members and girlfriends visit this site to support him. That would explain why he hasn't bothered to try to improve his actual football talent in the past 6 years.


Originally posted by excelsior:
I just read yesterdays' article by Maiocco about his interview with Harbaugh. H. said he is doing his assessment of each player on the roster as well as available FAs, and he will make his evaluations "without outside influences." Does that mean he will not be consulting with the Alex haters?

That can't be true as they have assured us:

1) Smith won't be back
2) Smith is worse than every FA QB currently available
3) Anyone who doesn't hate Smith is a Fanboy
4) Snark, snark, snark

Edit: Forgot
5) (Couldn't stand having the laughing smileys here!)

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 10, 2011 at 07:23:20 ]
Have to go with Bono or Grbac. After that, it's a crapshoot.
Ah hell put the franchise tag on Alex Smith
Its only 17 million to tag him!

[ Edited by kezar49er on Feb 10, 2011 at 19:47:49 ]
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,155
Originally posted by DefSikNiner:
Have to go with Bono or Grbac. After that, it's a crapshoot.

Both played with some very good teams. I wonder what they might have done here the past few years.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by DefSikNiner:
Have to go with Bono or Grbac. After that, it's a crapshoot.

Both played with some very good teams. I wonder what they might have done here the past few years.

They would hand off the ball to the CowBell, gets injured by a shotty O-line in week 5, comes back to get 'coached' up by Sing on the sideline, holds no to the ball too long with no confidence in the receivers to run timing routes consistently. Sing threaten to switch Bono for Grbac for Bono. Gets booed by the fans. Awaits FA in the off season.

Pretty sure I've missed others...
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 625
Its gotta be Grbac. Bono would be my second choice... after that its a crap shoot. Hill probably comes in 3rd cuz he's tough as hell and wins games in spite of ability (and he's a Kansas boy)

Grbac threw for 3k 3 times and went for over 4k one season in KC. He only played for 8 seasons too. Bono threw for over 3k one time... and well thats about it.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,155
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by DefSikNiner:
Have to go with Bono or Grbac. After that, it's a crapshoot.

Both played with some very good teams. I wonder what they might have done here the past few years.

They would hand off the ball to the CowBell, gets injured by a shotty O-line in week 5, comes back to get 'coached' up by Sing on the sideline, holds on to the ball too long with no confidence in the receivers to run timing routes consistently. Sing threaten to switch Bono for Grbac for Bono. Gets booed by the fans. Awaits FA in the off season.

Pretty sure I've missed others...
Well, that just about covers it.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by DefSikNiner:
Have to go with Bono or Grbac. After that, it's a crapshoot.

Both played with some very good teams. I wonder what they might have done here the past few years.

They would hand off the ball to the CowBell, gets injured by a shotty O-line in week 5, comes back to get 'coached' up by Sing on the sideline, holds on to the ball too long with no confidence in the receivers to run timing routes consistently. Sing threaten to switch Bono for Grbac for Bono. Gets booed by the fans. Awaits FA in the off season.

Pretty sure I've missed others...
Well, that just about covers it.

...
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,155
Originally posted by DesiDez:

Judging from the current poll though, its obvious that Alex Smith has been busy this offseason making sure his family members and girlfriends visit this site to support him. That would explain why he hasn't bothered to try to improve his actual football talent in the past 6 years.


On a serious note, what the poll shows, is that with the exception of a hard-core few who have become ego-identified with their anti-Smith position, the rest of the 'zone has looked at all the options and the circumstances and recognized that Smith is the best option out there, and with Harbaugh coaching him, will come much closer to what the team needs than any of the other options. In fact, the Green Bay win and the scrutiny that has placed on that team and organization, it has become even more clear how handicapped Smith has been by his time here in SF.
Not too mention, it's funny because every poll taken that includes Alex, most say they want him back if coach wants him back.

I'm still trying to understand why thats a problem if thats what our HC wants.

If he's watched every game, and in details watching ALL of the issues with offense, defense, and special teams.

What really amazed me about coach is when just from watching tape, he came to the conclusion that there was a certain pass play that almost all the NFL TEAMS used for about 6 weeks, before he noticed, that everyone now gameplanned for preventing that type of play.

Pretty good observation I'll say and he's only been in the NFL for a month or soo.

I wish we could all let go of the Alex hater, or Alex Fanboy bulls**t. Is some of our personal hate for one player so deep that it clouds you supporting your team or finally having a HC that WILL, and CAN, put every player in position to be successful for the first time in 6 to 8 years.

I mean I dont care if Smith is back one bit because it's not just about Smith, it's about the team. And if Alex comes back whether as a starter, backup, 3rd string, or cheerleader, then obviously coach wants him there for a reason. I really wish tho we could move the hell on and realize it's a new era, regardless of who may or may not be brought back.
Jersey, your sentiments are logical and sensible.

But I have to admit that I enjoy the verbal jousting that goes on between me and a few other Alex defenders, on the one hand, and the ABA (Anyone But Alex) crowd on the other. After all, debate is a sport on some campuses.

Effective debating is a skill, and critical thinking is a valuable tool in today's society. These exercises have helped some develop the art of taking a postion, then defending it with facts and figures. Some are getting better at it. For others ... well it may be hopeless.
Frankly bringing Alex back would be a bad idea. I like the kid and I think he'll find some reasonable level of success on another team. That said...it's just such a bad PR move (which is sort of ironic because Alex himself and the things he does for the local community, like the foster kids fund, etc is exactly what you want). Alex and the fans relationship is beyond repair (understandably). It's been said over and over...Alex wasn't the best here and we certainly werent the best for him.

I'd rather just start fresh and go 8-8 with a new guy who is still really young and shows promise then go 9-7 and get bounced in the 1st round with Alex in his 7th year. I mean if anything it would be a monumental waste of time for him. There are better opportunities out there. Not to mention...why not go somewhere no one knows you and thus expect nothing. No pressure.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Frankly bringing Alex back would be a bad idea. I like the kid and I think he'll find some reasonable level of success on another team. That said...it's just such a bad PR move (which is sort of ironic because Alex himself and the things he does for the local community, like the foster kids fund, etc is exactly what you want). Alex and the fans relationship is beyond repair (understandably). It's been said over and over...Alex wasn't the best here and we certainly werent the best for him.

I'd rather just start fresh and go 8-8 with a new guy who is still really young and shows promise then go 9-7 and get bounced in the 1st round with Alex in his 7th year. I mean if anything it would be a monumental waste of time for him. There are better opportunities out there. Not to mention...why not go somewhere no one knows you and thus expect nothing. No pressure.

This sentiment might be what Harbaugh was talking about when he said he'd make up his own mind. I agree with you that it would be an up hill battle but my money is on Harbaugh making the best decision. A part of me is really curious to see what can happen to Smith given a superior coach and situation. But I would not put all my chips on him! The team should go after any true alternative and I think this brain trust will.
Bono, cause he is the only winner in the group.