LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Out of these QB's, who would you start and why?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Out of these QB's, who would you start and why?

I think the bottom line is that, like someone else said...at this point it really doesn't matter WHO is at fault and why, how, etc etc...it's just time for a change.

I root for Alex and I still think had he been properly (make that NORMALLY) coached..we wouldn't be in this situation..but that's all in the past now and it's time to move on. I think Smith should just go to another team and start over. A change of scenery can sometimes do wonders for your career REGARDLESS of how bad you were somewhere else. I know from personal experience how a change of scenery can help.

Bottom line: There is no point to even debate Alex. It's a circular argument.
I just want to lend my support to you, dtg and oldman, for hanging in there. There are many other fans who see redeeming value in Alex. But many Alex supporters, I guess, have grown weary trying to pursuade others that their dismal characterization of Alex's skills has gone beyond reality.

The argument that I least understand are those who concede that Alex may have been good if properly coached and supported, but they think we should "turn the page and move on." Such an attitude reflects irrationality because it is saying that even if a good coach can substantially improve Alex's play, we shouldn't because ... well, we just shouldn't.
Originally posted by excelsior:
I just want to lend my support to you, dtg and oldman, for hanging in there. There are many other fans who see redeeming value in Alex. But many Alex supporters, I guess, have grown weary trying to pursuade others that their dismal characterization of Alex's skills has gone beyond reality.

The argument that I least understand are those who concede that Alex may have been good if properly coached and supported, but they think we should "turn the page and move on." Such an attitude reflects irrationality because it is saying that even if a good coach can substantially improve Alex's play, we shouldn't because ... well, we just shouldn't.

Hi, Stan.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I don't understand how anyone that has actually watched all those QBs play could not vote for Grbac. That guy won some HUGE games for us. Sure, he was no Steve Young, but he threw for 300+ yards and a few TDs on several occasions.

Bono was pretty good as well. But I feel like Grbac did more.

I echo that sentiment, and he was a playoff qb, I feel the guy had a pretty accurate ball, but his weakness was his mobility and throwing on the run. But in the drop back situations I feel, the guy had a cannon and could put it on the money. Maybe if he had a better line, as the 9ers line when Grbac came in was in the fading/aging phase, maybe he could have done a lot more. But I definitely see that he had a lot of the pieces, just maybe not as complete as other QBs at the time.
Originally posted by niteshade80:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I don't understand how anyone that has actually watched all those QBs play could not vote for Grbac. That guy won some HUGE games for us. Sure, he was no Steve Young, but he threw for 300+ yards and a few TDs on several occasions.

Bono was pretty good as well. But I feel like Grbac did more.

I echo that sentiment, and he was a playoff qb, I feel the guy had a pretty accurate ball, but his weakness was his mobility and throwing on the run. But in the drop back situations I feel, the guy had a cannon and could put it on the money. Maybe if he had a better line, as the 9ers line when Grbac came in was in the fading/aging phase, maybe he could have done a lot more. But I definitely see that he had a lot of the pieces, just maybe not as complete as other QBs at the time.

Both Bono and Grbac played some good ball and I thought both might have decent careers in the NFL. Grbac had some injuries if I'm not mistaken. But neither were in the category of great or even good 9er QBs. That category is reserved for Montana, YA, Young, Albert, and perhaps Brodie and Garcia. Brodie was the QB while I was growing up and he could be quite good (inconsistently). Garcia impressed me because I think he succeeded purely from will power. Kind of like Jim McMahon and Joe Capp.

But anyone who thinks you have to like Bono or Grbac to be a true 9er fan must really like Alex Smith!
Originally posted by JayBee:

Comparing Alex to Steve is blasphemous...I don't care what point you're trying to make..you lose all credibility.

Please, anything but that! I can't afford to lose credibility through your eyes!

... Hey, no problem. I'm not gonna be deliberately myopic abut this issue... no matter how easy it is to make 1 player the focal point of all my disappointments and frustrations.

I just think it's hysterical that people were rejoicing about getting the QB evaluating genius known as Jim Harbaugh... and now that he obviously likes and respects what Alex can bring? Well, now it's all BS and maybe Jim is BS as well, and knows less than they.... lolz.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by JayBee:

Comparing Alex to Steve is blasphemous...I don't care what point you're trying to make..you lose all credibility.

Please, anything but that! I can't afford to lose credibility through your eyes!

... Hey, no problem. I'm not gonna be deliberately myopic abut this issue... no matter how easy it is to make 1 player the focal point of all my disappointments and frustrations.

I just think it's hysterical that people were rejoicing about getting the QB evaluating genius known as Jim Harbaugh... and now that he obviously likes and respects what Alex can bring? Well, now it's all BS and maybe Jim is BS as well, and knows less than they.... lolz.

Just learned what lolz means! Thanks. Being open minded on an issue is quite invigorating, what?
Why do people constantly bring up the 'harbaugh knows more than you so don't b***h' argument? It's a f**king message board and we can discuss whether we THINK Alex is a good QB or not.

We shouldn't discuss anything at all and have no mock drafts either b/c it's all in Harbaugh/Baalke's hands, right?
When you stop talking about Alex and start talking about each other, then you lose the right.
Share 49ersWebzone