LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 150 users in the forums

Out of these QB's, who would you start and why?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Out of these QB's, who would you start and why?

Originally posted by niner4life21:
Alex Smith gets a pass from his fanboys b/c he had bad coaching. But the same o-line that is also considered to be a reason he didn't produce isn't excused by bad coaching...
The same receivers who were sooo terrible that Alex couldn't function well are bashed again and again, but no one realizes that they had s**thead Jerry Sullivan coaching them for the past 7 or whatever years?

Double standard?

Funny, huh?
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Hmm lets see I would start Druckenmiller cause he’s clearly had enough starts under his belt to belong on this list but after throwing 4 picks in 4 attempts I would bench him in favor of Ty Detmer because he threw for over 300 and 4 touchdowns in his only start as a 9er but sadly he would trip over himself and break his elbow walking to the locker room after the game.

Boy you have bad luck as a coach! Must be the GM.
Originally posted by BobS:
Freaking hilarious that the Alex Smith lovers site he averaged over a 90 passer rating the last 4 games of 2010. What they forgot to mention was three of the pass defenses he faced (STL, SEA, AZ) averaged 19th, 23rd, and 27th in yards allowed. When he faced the good defense of the group (SD), he put up a 66 rating with a 5.7 YPA. So Alex is a great QB to have to roll up stats on crappy defenses. So the 49ers should re-sign him and platoon him with someone who can play well against good defenses.

They're also NFC West teams. Alex can't beat a good non-divisional team. 6 years and counting.
Originally posted by JayBee:
Freaking hilarious that the Alex Smith lovers site he averaged over a 90 passer rating the last 4 games of 2010. What they forgot to mention was three of the pass defenses he faced (STL, SEA, AZ) averaged 19th, 23rd, and 27th in yards allowed. When he faced the good defense of the group (SD), he put up a 66 rating with a 5.7 YPA. So Alex is a great QB to have to roll up stats on crappy defenses. So the 49ers should re-sign him and platoon him with someone who can play well against good defenses.

They're also NFC West teams. Alex can't beat a good non-divisional team. 6 years and counting.

Dude, didn't you know, it's the O-lines; fault, and the receivers' fault, and the coaches' fault.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Alex Smith gets a pass from his fanboys b/c he had bad coaching. But the same o-line that is also considered to be a reason he didn't produce isn't excused by bad coaching...
The same receivers who were sooo terrible that Alex couldn't function well are bashed again and again, but no one realizes that they had s**thead Jerry Sullivan coaching them for the past 7 or whatever years?

Double standard?

Funny, huh?

ur new here but niner4life21 should know how many fire sulliven and fire o line coach have we had till we had solari last year cmon man
  • dj43

If you want to go back to when Johnson first took over the OC, Smith's rating was 83. That still puts him in the top half of the league. More importantly, it shows what Smith can do starting with a new offense.

You and I both want the same thing - a team that wins, and that starts with a QB...and we haven't had that since Garcia. However, given the latest news on the CBA, it is clear that there will not be an agreement before the end of the league year, and probably a long time after that. There won't be time for a FA or trade QB to come in here and learn the players and the offense. Smith is clearly the best option. All the other possibilities are just off-season discussion topics but not likely to happen. Does that make me excited? Not directly but when I compare how bad the coaching has been the past 8 years to what Harbaugh has accomplished in two different stops, it gives me enough hope to consider JH will finally bring what is needed to get value out of Alex Smith.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Well, the 90.6 passer rating was actually including every game after Jimmy Raye was fired.

However, your point may be a good one, Bob. If you remove the NFC West teams in addition to the teams Alex played with Jimmy Raye, his total passer rating would be 70.8... if I did my calculations correctly... which isn't a certainty.

I know it probably means very little to you, but there is more statistical information:

Average QB Rating Allowed vs. QB Rating Allowed to Alex

Seahawks: 89.7 vs. 81.9 combined (52.5/w Raye; 130.9/w Johnson)

Cardinals: 83.7 vs. 107.8

Rams: 80.4 vs. 91

Chargers: 76.2 vs. 66

Panthers: 81 vs. 87.4

Raiders: 85.6 vs. 87.4

Eagles: 80.8 vs. 92.8

Falcons: 82.2 vs. 65.6

Chiefs: 78.1 vs. 68.8

Saints: 83.2 vs. 82.2

Make of it what you will. It means very little, really. I just get a wild hair about statistics sometimes.

At the end of the day, I don't care what he's looked like in the 54 games he's played in over the past 6 years (9 games/year average (56% of max total) for those keeping track).

I'm ready to move on, but if Harbaugh wants him to stay... I'm not going to argue. I wanted us to hire Harbaugh in large part due to his reputation developing quarterbacks. It would be silly of me to disagree with him now.

Basically, whatever Harbaugh wants. I won't judge until I see the results.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Well, the 90.6 passer rating was actually including every game after Jimmy Raye was fired.

However, your point may be a good one, Bob. If you remove the NFC West teams in addition to the teams Alex played with Jimmy Raye, his total passer rating would be 70.8... if I did my calculations correctly... which isn't a certainty.

I know it probably means very little to you, but there is more statistical information:

Average QB Rating Allowed vs. QB Rating Allowed to Alex

Seahawks: 89.7 vs. 81.9 combined (52.5/w Raye; 130.9/w Johnson)

Cardinals: 83.7 vs. 107.8

Rams: 80.4 vs. 91

Chargers: 76.2 vs. 66

Panthers: 81 vs. 87.4

Raiders: 85.6 vs. 87.4

Eagles: 80.8 vs. 92.8

Falcons: 82.2 vs. 65.6

Chiefs: 78.1 vs. 68.8

Saints: 83.2 vs. 82.2

Make of it what you will. It means very little, really. I just get a wild hair about statistics sometimes.

At the end of the day, I don't care what he's looked like in the 54 games he's played in over the past 6 years (9 games/year average (56% of max total) for those keeping track).

I'm ready to move on, but if Harbaugh wants him to stay... I'm not going to argue. I wanted us to hire Harbaugh in large part due to his reputation developing quarterbacks. It would be silly of me to disagree with him now.

Basically, whatever Harbaugh wants. I won't judge until I see the results.

dude great post
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

dude great post

Why? Those numbers don't make Alex look good. But I guess you can blame that on coaching, the line, receiver drops, his shoulder, the OC....

dude great post

Why? Those numbers don't make Alex look good. But I guess you can blame that on coaching, the line, receiver drops, his shoulder, the OC....

good post means good post i wasnt aware that the meaning of good post changed that makes alex good

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Shaun Hill
Alex Smith
Tim Rattay
Ken Dorsey
Jim Druckenmiller
Ty Detmer
Elvis Grbac
Steve Bono

how many playoff games did these guys win combined

anyone have a clue?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

dude great post

good post means good post i wasnt aware that the meaning of good post changed that makes alex good

Thank you.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

dude great post

I wasn't trying to make Alex look good. I was trying to show the whole picture. There is some good and some bad. Both sides of the argument have good points, so I was showing that.

I don't think Alex Smith is a good quarterback. I'm just not going to argue with Harbaugh if he doesn't agree with me.

Is Alex the only player on the team that gets the blame for that? Last time I checked, professional football is a team sport, but I guess that is beyond your limited comprehension. You might want to read up on the game before exposing your ignorance for the Zone to see.
Do QB's from non-NFL leagues (UFL, CFL, AFL) get impacted by the NFL labor situation? Ie. Can the 49ers sign players from these leagues anytime?
Share 49ersWebzone