There are 198 users in the forums

Official Alex Smith Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by excelsior:
During the last two years, I haven't been so concerned about QB coaching as I have about playcalling and scheme. Our scheme always seemed so simple and unimaginative. Our playcalling was always so predicatble - frequently the first two downs being runs up the middle with no gains, followed by 3rd and long - historically a low % passing scenario.

The Alex critics often say that the great QBs can make things happen when things break down. True to an extent. But Rodgers and Brady did not perform so well during their last playoff games this year. I can also recall Montana in '85, '86 and '87, three consecutive years in which Joe played horribly in those playoff games. Go look up the stats and you will see what I mean.

In each of these situations, the defenses were making things break down, and the performance of great QBs like them suffered dramatically. So I think the Alex critics have created this false reality in their mind. And they hold Alex to an unattainable standard.

I agree EX, but those QB's have also beat some good defensive schemes too. They have put their teams on their back and found ways to exploit some great defenses. Alex never has

Hey Sims man, I actually agree with most of what you and Ex say, but at the same time, can u honestly say that when Alex has put the team on his back that the team has responded. If anything the NO game was a game that spoke volumes. Turnovers or not, it was Alex that put the team on his shoulders and not only got us the TD, but the 2 pt conversion. Just to have the other side of the ball, the defense to let Brees go down the field, and score.

So my thing is even when Alex with just ok play has done just enough to keep us in the game, that the team hasnt consistenly responded. I mean i cant give you any two weeks, back to back where the O-line, Wr's, Dbacks, or Special Teams played consistently. It was like great one week, then look like a pee-wee team the next.

Take the game well once again, Alex did just enough to get us the W, then Clements makes the INT, just to give the ball right back. It's mostly about the QB dont get me wrong, but when the Qb play isnt all that great, then the team should be able to pull out the win. I mean losing about 4 to 5 games this year by 3pts or less says that we are right there, just have to stop making key mistakes as a team. Know what i mean.

Yeah I know what you mean but Alex has never put his team on the back to get us a win or bring us out of a hole that he hasn't helped put us in. Yeah at the end of that game, he made some great plays to tie that ball game but he also had two INT's inside the Saints 30 yard line which took potential points off the board, especially since we were driving in both instances and both INT's were on 1st down.

The ATL game he did good on that 1st drive and then had two INT's inside ATL territory. One of them was right before the half in which we could have put on at least a FG but instead, they end up getting a FG off our Turnover so yeah it does seem as if he is giving us a chance at the end of the game but it is AFTER he helps put us in a hole to begin with.

We had 5 turnovers vs the Saints and lost by 3 so yeah the defense gave up that drive but they also kept that game from getting out of hand with all those turnovers.

The game vs ATL, we lead in that game all the way until the 59:55 mark with our offense only generating 1 TD and having 2 turnovers so our defense kept us in that game.

Look at the PHI game. Offense had 5 turnovers but the defense stepped up at the end (although Mccoy was stupid for going down short of the line) and gave our offense a chance to tie or win it and we couldn't do it.

Our defense hasn't been the best but our offense certainly hasn't helped them. It goes hand in hand, don't get me wrong but the defense has made more stops than they get credit for because everyone looks at the final score, but they don't see the defense withstanding all of the offenses misfortunes and having to battle and hold on more often than not

[ Edited by Sims84 on Feb 2, 2011 at 11:35:35 ]
Originally posted by kidash:
Alex hasn't been in the most ideal situation, no doubt about that and I have admitted that time and time again but to dismiss the fact that he HAS had enough talent around him and the coach and GM have BUILT the offense around Alex yet we still fail to do anything in meaningful games or against good teams is not ONLY on the coaches. At some point, a #1 overall pick who has been in the league for 6 damn years that has had a chance to learn AND/OR study (Martz since he was on IR but still went to meetings) with some top coaches should be able to put excuses aside and go out and perform more often than not and you know it

Just curious: Like who (minus Martz and Turner)?

and Macarthy. All 3 have had success after Alex. Yes Macarthy did have a depleted team to work with but he was still very knowledgeable, obviously since he went on to become a Head Coach and a successful one at that

Macarthy ran a variation of the WCO, in which it takes at least 3-5 years to master. He was forced fed that offense in his initial year only for the coach to take off (like Turner) after. Rivers, on the other hand, actually played behind Brees for a few, learned the same offense installed by Turner (when he was the coordinator at SD) only to keep on running it when Turner took over.

So based on that, wouldn't Rivers actually have the upper hand?

Not really trying to argue here, just trying to point certain flaws in your argument that they both were "even keeled" as far as "know hows" at that particular point (2006).

I never stated they were on even grounds, I just said Alex had talent on his team and could have easily did more with it. Of Rivers he had the upper hand and he took advantage of that opportunity. Alex didn't make the most of his because he showed he can be effective (early on in the season) and then slowly buy surely started regressing as the weeks went on (usually you get better as the weeks go on and you get more comfortable, Alex got worse).

So the only comparison between the two are the fact that they both were on the field for their 2nd season in the NFL (actually playing) under Norv Turner for the 1st time. Rivers looked good, Smith looked average.

Apples and oranges, bro. SD clearly had more talent than we did considering we were on a re-building phase when Nolan took over the team. Rivers had more to work with than A Smith.

But enough, it don't mean squat at this point.

All I'm saying is, is we could have done more that season with the talent we had but we didn't. Another opportunity that we failed to seize and I'm ready to turn the page on that chapter.

We started with the hiring of an offensive minded HC. Now let's keep going and bring in a new face. If the CBA doesn't get resolved then I will support Alex because I have no choice. I will root and cheer my a$$ off in hopes that he can be the QB that I have been backing and hoping he'd become all the way up until that fumble vs PHI

If the CBA gets resolved, then I hope we do whatever we need to in order to bring a proven QB in here to let the rookie learn
Jersey was on the money in his comments. Our team has been close. With just a little better play from our offense and defense we could have been a 10-6 team this year.

While Alex himself needed to play better, jJust a little extra help from the OL and his receivers would have made a huge difference in his performance, his stats and the W-L record.
Jersey was on the money in his comments. Our team has been close. With just a little better play from our offense and defense we could have been a 10-6 team this year.

While Alex himself needed to play better, jJust a little extra help from the OL and his receivers would have made a huge difference in his performance, his stats and the W-L record.

to Harbaugh getting the most out of our team for years to come
Simply...if he's a good player being held down by this NFL wide conspiracy, at some point his talent will come out and he'll be a successful NFL player. Don't see this happening...and lets not forget that you could apply this same concept to any unsuccessful NFL player.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Hell. Yes.

Originally posted by Wodwo:

Hell. Yes.

There's a sentiment than any sane 9er fan would agree with!!!

Originally posted by Atl49er:
I will fall to my knees and thank God...the day that Alex Smith is finally released and banned from the San Francisco bay area forever!!! LOL

I get so frustrated reading and hearing anything pertaining to him. I almost peeled my skin off when I read that JH article about him wanting to work with the voodoo Dr. Alex Smith.

I know the feeling. Hence,I decided to stop posting in here... You can't win with Alex fans... You can put up stats,win-lose record and show them every little thing that has gone wrong with Alex here for 6 years and they will still ignore it... Now they want to give him a 7,8,and yes a 9 season... Hoping and praying he will magicly turn into some pro bowl QB.. When really all he is Tim Couch part 2.. I mean we have to be the dumbass franchise out there... I have not seen 1 franchise hold on to a first round bust QB this long ever in the NFL... No wonder why every NFL anylast laughs at us. Any ways this is my last message in this thread.. Thier no point talking to people that enjoy losing so much just to please one terrible QB!
Originally posted by fakers23:
I will fall to my knees and thank God...the day that Alex Smith is finally released and banned from the San Francisco bay area forever!!! LOL

I get so frustrated reading and hearing anything pertaining to him. I almost peeled my skin off when I read that JH article about him wanting to work with the voodoo Dr. Alex Smith.

I know the feeling. Hence,I decided to stop posting in here... You can't win with Alex fans... You can put up stats,win-lose record and show them every little thing that has gone wrong with Alex here for 6 years and they will still ignore it... Now they want to give him a 7,8,and yes a 9 season... Hoping and praying he will magicly turn into some pro bowl QB.. When really all he is Tim Couch part 2.. I mean we have to be the dumbass franchise out there... I have not seen 1 franchise hold on to a first round bust QB this long ever in the NFL... No wonder why every NFL anylast laughs at us. Any ways this is my last message in this thread.. Thier no point talking to people that enjoy losing so much just to please one terrible QB!

Wassup fakers, I read your posts sometimes, and got really nothing bad to say just that, is it possible to have a say in regards to the kid, and not be what some call Alex fan boys. LMAO, i actually like that one.

Trust me i know your not talking to me, and I'm not shouting back at ya, but I just say isnt it possible to give your opinion on the kid, just like any other player on our team, just for the sake of argument. I mean the way I see it, you have half the zone, that thinks he MAY have been something with the right coaching, and the other half that say you could of had Walsh as our HC and that still wouldnt improve Alex.

Now with each opinion, neither is really wrong. From their viewing experiences, each one just comes to their own conclusion.

I'd have to say this tho to Harbaugh's resume. It is fact, not opinion, or made up stat, that he has had some of the worst QB's that really did nothing in their career until they were under his reign. And the nobodys not only did well, but had there best years or year under him.

Now if that will translate to Smith, who the hell knows, but in my opinion, what if he not only kept Smith, but said Im gonna keep Carr, Troy, and Alex. (we know thats not gonna happen, lol) But if that move was made, u mean u'd really have a problem if our HC who also played the position, feels that he can bring the best out in them.

Thats where I think the fans get all crazy, when they expect the HC to follow what they want. And dont realize that Harbaugh is the first offensive minded HC we've had in 6 to 8 years. I dont know about you, but im excited as hell for whomever he puts behind center. Whether it be Alex, or even Tim Rattay. I think he's gonna do a great job, so why not just sit back and enjoy the ride, regardless of who the conductor is driving the offense.

Wassup fakers, I read your posts sometimes, and got really nothing bad to say just that, is it possible to have a say in regards to the kid, and not be what some call Alex fan boys. LMAO, i actually like that one.

Trust me i know your not talking to me, and I'm not shouting back at ya, but I just say isnt it possible to give your opinion on the kid, just like any other player on our team, just for the sake of argument. I mean the way I see it, you have half the zone, that thinks he MAY have been something with the right coaching, and the other half that say you could of had Walsh as our HC and that still wouldnt improve Alex.

Now with each opinion, neither is really wrong. From their viewing experiences, each one just comes to their own conclusion.

I'd have to say this tho to Harbaugh's resume. It is fact, not opinion, or made up stat, that he has had some of the worst QB's that really did nothing in their career until they were under his reign. And the nobodys not only did well, but had there best years or year under him.

Now if that will translate to Smith, who the hell knows, but in my opinion, what if he not only kept Smith, but said Im gonna keep Carr, Troy, and Alex. (we know thats not gonna happen, lol) But if that move was made, u mean u'd really have a problem if our HC who also played the position, feels that he can bring the best out in them.

Thats where I think the fans get all crazy, when they expect the HC to follow what they want. And dont realize that Harbaugh is the first offensive minded HC we've had in 6 to 8 years. I dont know about you, but im excited as hell for whomever he puts behind center. Whether it be Alex, or even Tim Rattay. I think he's gonna do a great job, so why not just sit back and enjoy the ride, regardless of who the conductor is driving the offense.

Well said Jersey, my sentiments exactly. Harbaugh knows his business better than any of us.

Dude, stop making so much sense.

• dj43
Originally posted by pigskin:
Originally posted by rk1642:
So you would have taken our roster of SD? Please, every GM in the NFL would have taken SD's players over ours no question about it.

I would take Rivers and the rest of the 49ers O over Smith and the rest of SD O.

...and the SD defense would crush you.
Originally posted by dj43:
So you would have taken our roster of SD? Please, every GM in the NFL would have taken SD's players over ours no question about it.

I would take Rivers and the rest of the 49ers O over Smith and the rest of SD O.

...and the SD defense would crush you.

Originally posted by baybreaker707:

What about the coaching staff?

Another easy one! Turner hasn't won anything as a head coach regardless of his staff. He's a proven loser at the NFL head coaching level. Harbaugh would be a much better bet.

Our 2006 staff is another story. But what is your point?
It's clear everyone (and their momma) differ in opinions regarding A. Smith. We've all seen the pro's and con's from both side and seriously, nothing good will EVER come out of it.

Share 49ersWebzone