LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 169 users in the forums

Official Alex Smith Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by calniners408:
Also the argument about inconsistencies.

What about Matt Ryan coming in his 1st year?
Sam Bradford?

There is no consistency as a first year as everything is new.

They were rookies coming into one of the worst teams in the league and already showed major signs of improvement for those teams. If I recall, both those teams had a dismal Oline too.

Welcome aboard!

Agree! If you got it, you got it. Doesn't matter if it's your first year, you're at least gonna show signs of greatness (Not schizophrenic and inconsistent play). Alex needs a psychotherapist more than a QB guru coach.

He's damaged goods in SF. I don't think it's ever gonna happen but his best chance is starting fresh with a new team and learning behind a starter for 3 or more years in the same system. Even then he'd probably just be a serviceable QB.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by dj43:
I do not get the argument that Smith didn't have good coaches. Mccarthy? Turner? Martz? Those were really his coaches and he couldn't perform. He didn't even win out for the starting spot for Martz.
You must be new. According to Mike Martz, Alex had progressed to the point in PS that he was ready to take over the job from JT the week he re-injured his shoulder.

LOL wut? Do you not recall Martz ripping Alex a new one on the sideline in that preseason game vs. GB?

This is entirely new to just about everyone. I'd like to see some proof of this so called quote from Martz. Til then, I'm calling buls**t on it.

In any case, (and even if JTO was Martz's pick for the QB position) it doesn't matter. JTO won the starting job by playing pretty well in the preseason that year. Alex played terribly.

Hill was the player who was never given a fair shake with the 49ers...he's always been the best QB on our roster.
Martz' comment was well reported. It happened immediately following new from Dr Andrews that Smith would need season-ending surgery. It was along the lines of "this happened at a terrible time for Alex. He had progressed to the point he was ready to take over the starting job."

I'm a bit surprised you don't remember it.
If Harbaugh decides to bring him back then so be it.
Originally posted by backontop:

Harbaugh knows QBs better than all of the Webzone combined. That is, of course, unless Montana or Young are hiding around here somewhere.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Booooooo booooooo booooooo
I think Alex will be the starter because Harbaugh will provide the kind of system he needs with a game plan that will tell you exactly what to do and where to go with the ball. Harbaugh works on his footwork and the line protects better and you start seeing Alex not only make those throws, but Harbaugh will get the WRs and Qb on the same page to the point of wich hell know where to put the ball to give the reciever better opportunities to run after the catch. He has the mobility decision making(122 qb rating and perfect TD to Int ratio) and Alex wants to prove you all wrong as much as you want him gone and Harbaugh will embrace the opportunity to turn an under achieving QB into a winning QB. Smith has the work ethic and is already working with Harbaugh according to your article. If anything this makes me happy that we can draft a shut down Cb or Von Miller and trade back and not be forced into over paying or reaching for a QB. Go Harbaugh Go Smith, and GO NINERS!!! I still want to draft and sign backup options to compete. But I will back whatever Harbaugh decides to do and give him a chance before abandoning ship.
nO no no no nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
Originally posted by NTeply49:
I think Alex will be the starter because Harbaugh will provide the kind of system he needs with a game plan that will tell you exactly what to do and where to go with the ball. Harbaugh works on his footwork and the line protects better and you start seeing Alex not only make those throws, but Harbaugh will get the WRs and Qb on the same page to the point of wich hell know where to put the ball to give the reciever better opportunities to run after the catch. He has the mobility decision making(122 qb rating and perfect TD to Int ratio) and Alex wants to prove you all wrong as much as you want him gone and Harbaugh will embrace the opportunity to turn an under achieving QB into a winning QB. Smith has the work ethic and is already working with Harbaugh according to your article. If anything this makes me happy that we can draft a shut down Cb or Von Miller and trade back and not be forced into over paying or reaching for a QB. Go Harbaugh Go Smith, and GO NINERS!!! I still want to draft and sign backup options to compete. But I will back whatever Harbaugh decides to do and give him a chance before abandoning ship.

Ugh! Not only do want him back,but you want to give him the starting role. Why not just tell all 49er fans 2011 is lost and hope for Andrew Luck in 2012..
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Am I the only one that finds this thread rather humorous ?
Originally posted by susweel:

Not if it's true.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by DownInTheCity:
Originally posted by susweel:

Not if it's true.

The overreaction in this thread is very funny to me. A writer sneaks a paragraph about Alex practicing with Harbaugh and everybody is assuming that its a done deal.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
If Harbaugh thinks he might be able to make him better than I'll trust Harbaugh.

I'm glad you got such blind support for Harbaugh,but I don't. No amount of coaching going to turn turd into gold. Just ask the last 2 coaches who tried..

lol nolan and sing? they ruined alex more than helped him

Really. I didn't know Mike told Alex to fumble the ball when an Eagle defender wasn't 5 feet from him or tell him to throw high almost killing his wideouts each drive.

they hurt his growth and destroyed his confidrence who drafts a qqb without an o line or WR then waits for 5 years before getting a decent WR target and o line not to mention the fact that he has had a different OC every year

tell me name 1 good qb in league now that has had more than 2 OC let alone 6 in 6 years

Don't feel like getting into "in depth" research mode but just to answer your question, Jay Cutler has had at least 3. Broncos from 2006-2008, Bears in 2009 (Rob Turner I believe) Mike Martz in 2010)

It is definitely not the norm but it has happened
Originally posted by NTeply49:

Ugh! Not only do want him back,but you want to give him the starting role. Why not just tell all 49er fans 2011 is lost and hope for Andrew Luck in 2012..

Never did I say GIVE. I said sign a veteran, draft a rookie, and have him compete. If he beats out the other 2 guys Harbaugh brings in then he would deserve the job? And if he does suck, and since he beat out the other 2 they suck well get your boy andrew luck
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by dj43:
I do not get the argument that Smith didn't have good coaches. Mccarthy? Turner? Martz? Those were really his coaches and he couldn't perform. He didn't even win out for the starting spot for Martz.
You must be new. According to Mike Martz, Alex had progressed to the point in PS that he was ready to take over the job from JT the week he re-injured his shoulder.

LOL wut? Do you not recall Martz ripping Alex a new one on the sideline in that preseason game vs. GB?

This is entirely new to just about everyone. I'd like to see some proof of this so called quote from Martz. Til then, I'm calling buls**t on it.

In any case, (and even if JTO was Martz's pick for the QB position) it doesn't matter. JTO won the starting job by playing pretty well in the preseason that year. Alex played terribly.

Hill was the player who was never given a fair shake with the 49ers...he's always been the best QB on our roster.

um do you not recall that he shoulder was still messed up?
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by backontop:

Harbaugh knows QBs better than all of the Webzone combined. That is, of course, unless Montana or Young are hiding around here somewhere.

exactly!
Share 49ersWebzone