There are 78 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Nate Clements stay or go??

Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
If he doesn't restructure he's gone. However, if something can be worked out, he looked good playing against slot receivers. That's where I'd play him

Yes, over the slot receiver and blitzing often.

Exactly
  • Paul
  • Veteran
we need to draft a new number one corner, but I'd like to see him back.. he's a good player
I think Nate Clements will look a lot better playing closer to the LOS, not having to cover receivers for excessive amounts of time because we hopefully will have a better pass rusher, and some safety help. We should actually draft a corner and a safety, or try to sign a veteran safety. To me, Clements is at his best being physical near the line of scrimmage, so I don't get all of this talk of moving him to safety. If we still had Walt Harris, he would be a better option to make such a move.
Even at a reduced rate you can get two guys for the same amount. He is definitely on the downward spiral and getting rid of him a year or two early is a solid decision. For those who say move him to safety, what's the point? He's never played the position and you would be taking time away from guys that could be the long term answer.
Bye Nate.
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by kujon11:
Clements is overpaid and underrated.

He isn't as good as his pay scale and he isn't as bad as the Webzone makes him out to be.

Restructure and keep him, he is a solid CB and the best on our roster.

did you mean overrated?

No, what I typed is what I was meaning to say.

Nice. Agree. He was coached to be aggressive so sometimes he got burned. Not to mention no safety help over the top caused those mistakes to be magnified. But it could be A LOT worse. We need a shutdown corner but Clements with a restructured contract is solid.

Also props to Paraage Marathe for stucturing his "record" contract so there's no possibility of dead money even if he's let go this year.
Gtfo
He can stay if he restructures his contract. If he renegotiated, I wouldnt mind him making around 4 mil a year, and us signing another quality corner like Grimes, Asomugha, Joeseph, Marshall, Baily, Wright, or maybe even Josh Wilson. I think Phillip Adams could be a special player as well.

Best Case scenario we are able to trade him in some spectacular draft day surprise.
keep him. at reduced salary.

Take that 7.95 Bonus, and his 7.25M base, cut it in half, put incentives in his deal, make him earn it.

But he is hardly our problem, its pass rush and qb play 1st IMO.
i think hed be a good 4th string corner back... for example in a 4 receiver set have him cum in.. he got slow reflexes
Like most would agree if he can/will take a huge pay cut, he'd be worth keeping around.

He isn't as good as his pay scale and he isn't as bad as the Webzone makes him out to be.

Hes the best on our roster but until the draft and free agency that can change real fast. I say drop him.
Originally posted by kujon11:

did you mean overrated?

No, what I typed is what I was meaning to say.

22 is definitely our best CB but he's making entirely too much an showing too few results. Either cut his pay and keep em or just cut em. Sadly he gets burned more than charcoal
where is the...beat him to a bloody pulp before throwing him out the back door...option?
I know he isn't hurting for money, but the smart thing for him/us to do would be restructure to a 1-year deal and get some guaranteed money in case of a lockout.

If the new coaches play to his strenghts and put him in better positions to succeed, I believe he would be worth keeping around. You can never have too many CB's.