LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 216 users in the forums

Nate Clements stay or go??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sorry I love the way he tackles but either lower his contract and put him in at safty or ditch his huge contract and get a top notch corner who can run with number 1 recievers. thoughts?[/right]
yea hes a great tackler but i say go hes getting old and to much money and it is hard for a veteran corner to switch to saftey when hes been a corner for a long time
Most say go
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
Sorry I love the way he tackles but either lower his contract and put him in at safty or ditch his huge contract and get a top notch corner who can run with number 1 recievers. thoughts?[/right]

Keep Clements, our bigger need is at Safety, with Michael Lewis leaving and the good chance that Goldson walks we will be very thin at safety. I know Goldson had a lackluster year but even if we keep him we still need to fill Lewis's spot and middle round guys like Duanta Williams, Tejay Johnson, or Jeron Johnson would fit the bill. The best free agent is Dawan Landry and could definitely be a long term solution if we landed him.

We should look at free agent CBs like Chris Carr or Eric Wright to maybe motivate Clements and Spencer to play better. They could also step in as as immediate starter in case we do cut Clements or move him to free safety.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Clements is overpaid and underrated.

He isn't as good as his pay scale and he isn't as bad as the Webzone makes him out to be.

Restructure and keep him, he is a solid CB and the best on our roster.
Originally posted by Chief:

He isn't as good as his pay scale and he isn't as bad as the Webzone makes him out to be.

this
Great thread. We really needed this one.
If he doesn't restructure he's gone. However, if something can be worked out, he looked good playing against slot receivers. That's where I'd play him
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
If he doesn't restructure he's gone. However, if something can be worked out, he looked good playing against slot receivers. That's where I'd play him

Yes, over the slot receiver and blitzing often.

Originally posted by matt49er:

this

agreed
i hate when people bash his play in atlanta....sure it was a bonehead move to not just fall down but dont forget he made a great play to intercept the ball....actually fumbling 30 yards down field was atleast even a plus because it still made atlanta have to go even further in a shorter time....our d just didnt hold them not nate.

did you mean overrated?
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kujon11:

did you mean overrated?

No, what I typed is what I was meaning to say.
Originally posted by kujon11:

did you mean overrated?

No, what I typed is what I was meaning to say.

And I agree with that assessment wholeheartedly.
Share 49ersWebzone