LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Chances Harbaugh transforms ALEX SMITH into a FRANCHISE QB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Chances Harbaugh transforms ALEX SMITH into a FRANCHISE QB?

Carson Palmer, "I'm taking my talents to South Bay."
Originally posted by AthensGaNiner:
I voted 25% mainly because I don't believe in saying "Never". I just don't think Harbaugh will get the opportunity to coach Alex. I fully expect Smith to be on another team next year.

I agree with this.

I put 25% as well. I don't think he will be around next year and even if he was it's really a crapshoot to say Harbaugh could make him better. I know our scheme sure would make his statistics go up... but if our O-Line is shaky he'll be the same scared, bad decision, inaccurate Alex Smith we've all grown to love as much as ZRF80.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by AthensGaNiner:
I voted 25% mainly because I don't believe in saying "Never". I just don't think Harbaugh will get the opportunity to coach Alex. I fully expect Smith to be on another team next year.

I agree with this.

I put 25% as well. I don't think he will be around next year and even if he was it's really a crapshoot to say Harbaugh could make him better. I know our scheme sure would make his statistics go up... but if our O-Line is shaky he'll be the same scared, bad decision, inaccurate Alex Smith we've all grown to love as much as ZRF80.

The offensive line is a big factor. Now, I've only REALLY looked at the Saints game (I have access to NFL coach's tape through my job), and both of these guys got better as the season went on, Davis and Iupati were terrible in protection. Baas really held that line together in that game, picking up a LOT of Iupati's mistakes (blocking 2 guys on some plays, somehow).

You'd be amazed to see the difference on the game tape between Iupati and Davis vs. Baas and Joe Staley. Baas is a fighter, he's all over the place, head constantly moving, he looks constantly desperate, playing like it's the last play of the Superbowl. Staley is smooth and meticulous... absolutely in his element on every play. Makes it look easy. Iupati and Davis look confused and out of sorts, lost.
I liked adembroski's anaysis. I would add that Alex has been maturing and learning all along. He has been assimilating things, some of it good.

I am 65 and I have learned how we all change as we mature and grow older, even our personality. So, while I agree with Joecool's opinion that Alex's meek personality was often an obstacle, it does not mean that Alex will always be meek. Indeed, I think the last six months may have been a turning point.

With all the crap he had to endure from Sing, the fans and the media, I think he may have become an pi**ed off, angry SOB, with a major chip on his shoulder. According to Ronnie Lott, Walsh thought Montana played with a chip on his shoulder, so that can be a good thing.

The fun thing about all this, we will be able to see who was right as the next few years unfold, whether Alex is here or somewhere else.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

inhale.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAH!

[ Edited by highwayone on Jan 23, 2011 at 11:19 AM ]
Mort Tweet- NFC West watch on Palmer - won a Heisman for Carroll @ USC; wife is from San Francisco; Ariz's Whisenhunt familiar from AFC North days.
Originally posted by excelsior:

I am 65 and I have learned how we all change as we mature and grow older, even our personality. So, while I agree with Joecool's opinion that Alex's meek personality was often an obstacle, it does not mean that Alex will always be meek. Indeed, I think the last six months may have been a turning point.

Heh... my own personal chiche, "The older I get, the stupider I was."
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
People just need to give up on Alex Smith. 6 years and some of you still have hope?

No kidding! It's a gift. Alex should be a senator. He'll never get voted out of office.
Originally posted by excelsior:
I liked adembroski's anaysis. I would add that Alex has been maturing and learning all along. He has been assimilating things, some of it good.

With all the crap he had to endure from Sing, the fans and the media, I think he may have become an pi**ed off, angry SOB, with a major chip on his shoulder. According to Ronnie Lott, Walsh thought Montana played with a chip on his shoulder, so that can be a good thing.

The fun thing about all this, we will be able to see who was right as the next few years unfold, whether Alex is here or somewhere else.

While I agree with you, I feel like we've been waiting for the "mean" Alex Smith for the last two years. The only time he played pissed off was when he was on fire against Philly. Now, I can't say they weren't playing off the LOS and in umbrella coverages, but either way there was zip to his throw.

Not only that, but he sure looked comfortable against AZ in that last game. He just was out there having fun.

All I know is that Harbaugh will make Alex Smith look better with his SCHEME. He will put Alex in the best position to succeed. Will Alex? Hell, I don't know.

In the end though, I think it is just best for the entire organization to move on.
Under Nolan and Singletary, Alex was coached as just another cog in the machine. The QB position is special, it requires a different approach. Nolan and Singletary did not inspire that fire in Alex because they didn't want Alex to be that kind of guy. "Leadership" is not an important factor in being a QB when a defensive mentality is applied to offense.

Let me put it this way: Defensive coaches don't get offense. They simply come from a different world. Offensive coaches don't get defense. There are exceptions, but the two require utterly different personalities and approaches.

If you take into acct we probably had the worst offensive coaching last season I think he played serviceable.

I doubt he will be a top 3 QB but I believe he has the tools to be a 7-10 ranked QB.. would much rather have Smith back for 2 yrs than overpay McNabb or Palmer for 3-5 seasons
Who cares? Carson wants out of Cincy
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Quote:
I really agree with 98% of what you just said. You hit a lot of things concerning Alex Smith right on the head. The only thing I disagree with is the notion that it's too late in his career. Now, it might be too late in his 49ers career because the fans, especially the ones that took this poll, wont give him a chance or even Harbaugh a chance to work with him. However, it is not too late in his professional career. Alex Smith is still only 27 years old. Now if he was 37, I would say it's too late in his career.

Now if Alex Smith was to go somewhere else and finally get it and his career takes off, most 49er fans would still feel it was best to let Alex walk. I'm of a different opinion. I would welcome Alex back on a 2 year contract & draft a qb in the middle of the draft.

Best case, Alex developes into a SB winning QB with Harbaugh's guidence & offense(if Dilfer can do it why not Alex) & the QB we drafted develops into a starting quality QB that we can then trade!!

Worst case, Alex doesn't develope in those 2 years into anything better than he already has, but the QB we drafted develops to the point that we can turn the team over to him. In either case, it's a win win for the 49ers and it's fans.

But alas, the fans wont let that happen. Oh well!!

this really sucks for Alex because he has had some GREAT moments and nothing but bad luck! We all seen him throw some great passes and then barely miss on a screen just to see the ball get tipped and intercepted! it ALL falls on the lousy coaching and crappy o-line he has had his entire career. now he has an o-line with a couple of studs going into their second year to protect him and the fans want him gone!

he's our best option right now...there is no one in FA that i would like to have over Alex. Give him 1-2 more years under some better coaching and lets see what happens before we get someone else please!
I'm just wondering if any of you guys that are getting wood for Carson Palmer have actually watched him play the last couple of seasons. Well I watched several Bengals games this season and I can tell you, Carson isn't any more accurate than Alex.

Carson had TO, Ocho, Jordan Shipley and a damn good young TE. His rating??? 82.4

Alex had Crabs (very average at this point), Morgan (mediocre at best) , and VD.. 82.1

Palmer has put up worse numbers in every successive season since 2005 (even disregarding injury season where he had a 69 rating)... Alex has improved every season.

Palmer has lost it folks. Alex is better at escaping pressure, throws less interceptions, is younger, and is trending upwards. Do the math.
Share 49ersWebzone