LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Chances Harbaugh transforms ALEX SMITH into a FRANCHISE QB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Chances Harbaugh transforms ALEX SMITH into a FRANCHISE QB?

Originally posted by adembroski:
I voted 25%...

We all know Alex Smith has the talent. We've seen moments of brilliance from him. I think the issue is time. It's late in the game for Smith.

I think if a great offensive and QBing mind had been there from day 1, Alex Smith would be one of the best in the NFL right now. That wasn't the case, and he's not.

You all know an Alex Smith in your office, or have known him. He keeps to himself early on, slowly taking things in, trying not to rock any boats. He wants to be noticed and be invited into the social world, but he doesn't push the issue. He wont jump into conversations. When being taught something, he seems confused but generally doesn't ask many questions. He comes off as slow, but you note his e-mails are impeccably intelligent.

At some point you catch him in his comfort zone. Maybe it's his favorite bar, or you have a mutual friend, and all of the sudden he's personable and boisterous, almost too friendly. You finally engage him in a conversation on a subject he knows and you finally realize he's genius level smart.

Alex Smith is this guy. He needs to be made comfortable because he doesn't possess a great deal of self-confidence until he's well schooled in what he's doing, at which point he will run with it.

This all works against Smith right now. Smith's most immediate issue right now is his mechanics, which has worsened since college. If you remember, his accuracy was the big selling point in the draft... the Nolan regime changed his mechanics and he has some terrible habits now. However, even if his mechanics are addressed and he regains his accuracy, it's going to take him 1-2 years to learn Harbaugh's offense... a memorization-heavy system. He's older, it's easier for him to understand concepts, harder to memorize.

So... Smith has the talent to be coached up, but I think it's too late in his career now.

you are absolutly right but one thing i voted for 50 percent cause alex does have the skills to dominate when he knows the offense he can pick apart a defense. but his thoughts does take control and then he sucks ass. but i am confidant that jim h can still coach him up nicely and go to the playoffs with him next season.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
People just need to give up on Alex Smith. 6 years and some of you still have hope?

Yes, because we've seen what he's capable of. He's made plays only special players can make. He's looked unstoppable at times, and 90% of his failures can be traced to coaching.

The only flaw that's truly his own is his accuracy... something he had in spades in college, so even that I blame on Nolan.

Basically, Smith's had a raw deal for his entire career. I think if he and Rodgers traded places when they were drafted, we'd be talking about Alex Smith joining the elite QBs in the league with a win today and asking whether Harbaugh should keep Rodgers around.
this isnt alex smith news but check out morts latest tweet....

mortreport Filed to ESPN: Carson Palmer will demand a trade from Bengals; willing to play retirement card, if necessary.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:

mortreport Filed to ESPN: Carson Palmer will demand a trade from Bengals; willing to play retirement card, if necessary.

Yeah he said the same on ESPN's pre-game show
Originally posted by hbarajas650:
I voted 25%...

We all know Alex Smith has the talent. We've seen moments of brilliance from him. I think the issue is time. It's late in the game for Smith.

I think if a great offensive and QBing mind had been there from day 1, Alex Smith would be one of the best in the NFL right now. That wasn't the case, and he's not.

You all know an Alex Smith in your office, or have known him. He keeps to himself early on, slowly taking things in, trying not to rock any boats. He wants to be noticed and be invited into the social world, but he doesn't push the issue. He wont jump into conversations. When being taught something, he seems confused but generally doesn't ask many questions. He comes off as slow, but you note his e-mails are impeccably intelligent.

At some point you catch him in his comfort zone. Maybe it's his favorite bar, or you have a mutual friend, and all of the sudden he's personable and boisterous, almost too friendly. You finally engage him in a conversation on a subject he knows and you finally realize he's genius level smart.

Alex Smith is this guy. He needs to be made comfortable because he doesn't possess a great deal of self-confidence until he's well schooled in what he's doing, at which point he will run with it.

This all works against Smith right now. Smith's most immediate issue right now is his mechanics, which has worsened since college. If you remember, his accuracy was the big selling point in the draft... the Nolan regime changed his mechanics and he has some terrible habits now. However, even if his mechanics are addressed and he regains his accuracy, it's going to take him 1-2 years to learn Harbaugh's offense... a memorization-heavy system. He's older, it's easier for him to understand concepts, harder to memorize.

So... Smith has the talent to be coached up, but I think it's too late in his career now.

you are absolutly right but one thing i voted for 50 percent cause alex does have the skills to dominate when he knows the offense he can pick apart a defense. but his thoughts does take control and then he sucks ass. but i am confidant that jim h can still coach him up nicely and go to the playoffs with him next season.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cwilson830:

Yeah he said the same on ESPN's pre-game show

I just realized, if they trade him, they'll probably go Qb in the draft at #4. It would suck if Arizona takes the next best Qb at #5, leaving us with the scraps.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 23, 2011 at 10:51 AM ]
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
sit down
When

When
Alex Smith had three of today's top offensive coordinators work with him. I don't think there is a very likely chance Harbaugh gets more ou of him. The kid is missing attributes that cannot be taught. It is the same attribute that portrayed Rodgers to appear cocky in 2005 and Alex to appear to be the perfect yes man. It is the same attribute that got him into a mess when his first shoulder was injured and he was too much of a yes man to speak up about it.

I would still want him back as our starter only because of ours and the leagues QB situation, but he wontbe anything special. Even Sanchez Performs better when a play breaks down. These are the intangibles Alex is missing.

If they get Carson, the Alex Smith question is moot. Carson's an obvious upgrade. But what do you give up to get him?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
If they get Carson, the Alex Smith question is moot. Carson's an obvious upgrade. But what do you give up to get him?

I think a 4th rounder should do it.
I'm not an Alex supporter, but I think most of you are close-minded on the idea that Harbaugh can improve Alex. If Harbaugh was able to turn Alex's pass rating from 80.0 to 90.0 would you guys be okay with that? As for me, I would be jumping for joy!

Our third rounder
Oh good, a new topic.

Let me think about this, I don't want to rush to judgment.
Share 49ersWebzone