There are 118 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Niners to emulate '96 Panthers success

After learning of Seely's hire as special teams coach, I realized something that might have been glaringly obvious to everyone else:

Fangio, Roman and Seely were all part of the 1996 Carolina coaching staff that saw Carolina reach the NFC championship game in just their second season of existence.

This should bring some real hope to 49ers fans in terms of turnaround.

Outside of Harbaugh, these 3 coaches are by far the most important on staff. Their chemistry in working together in Carolina (Fangio/Roman even more recently at Stanford) will help this team expedite the adapting process. Instead of coaches having to adapt to each other's process/work ethic, we'll only have the players learning their process. This shouldn't be too hard because if there's one thing these players are used to, it's learning a new system.

If the 49ers get the right QB, I'm confident that we won't have to wait through the rigors of growing pains next year.

Here's to success right out of the gate
Originally posted by valrod33:

So that's the situation we are in now.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Omg! It's al bundy!
Originally posted by darkknight49:

Omg! It's al bundy!

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by darkknight49:

Omg! It's al bundy!

Awesome! Meanwhile, Jim Harbaugh looks a little bit like Ted McGinley....
Anyway, getting back to the original post, yes! Great observation. That was a very good '96 defense, so let's hope it works out that well.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Correct me if I am wrong, but both the Panthers and the Jaguars rose to quick success
after being expansion teams in 1995. I believe their success was helped immensely by high draft choices and more lenient salary cap restrictions than the other 30 teams had to abide to.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FL9er:

lol. Check the 1:55 mark. Grbac pokes Young in the eye after the TD to TO.
[ Edited by pd24 on Jan 21, 2011 at 1:50 PM ]
Originally posted by BobS:
Correct me if I am wrong, but both the Panthers and the Jaguars rose to quick success
after being expansion teams in 1995. I believe their success was helped immensely by high draft choices and more lenient salary cap restrictions than the other 30 teams had to abide to.

No. They were subject to the same salary cap each teams had to abide to. The only MAJOR difference is that they started off with a clean slate. The high draft didn't hurt, no doubt, but it was that clean slate that help them immediately by acquiring quality players from each team who had to subject 2-3 players for them to pick from/buld from.
Originally posted by FL9er:

Did Berman call TO, Terrell Davis? LOL.
Member Milestone: This is post number 400 for endcapitalism.
Originally posted by Ditto:
Originally posted by BobS:

No. They were subject to the same salary cap each teams had to abide to. The only MAJOR difference is that they started off with a clean slate. The high draft didn't hurt, no doubt, but it was that clean slate that help them immediately by acquiring quality players from each team who had to subject 2-3 players for them to pick from/buld from.

No. They changed the supplemental draft rules for those two teams. After their great success the rules where changed again.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
After learning of Seely's hire as special teams coach, I realized something that might have been glaringly obvious to everyone else:

Fangio, Roman and Seely were all part of the 1996 Carolina coaching staff that saw Carolina reach the NFC championship game in just their second season of existence.

This should bring some real hope to 49ers fans in terms of turnaround.

Outside of Harbaugh, these 3 coaches are by far the most important on staff. Their chemistry in working together in Carolina (Fangio/Roman even more recently at Stanford) will help this team expedite the adapting process. Instead of coaches having to adapt to each other's process/work ethic, we'll only have the players learning their process. This shouldn't be too hard because if there's one thing these players are used to, it's learning a new system.

If the 49ers get the right QB, I'm confident that we won't have to wait through the rigors of growing pains next year.

Here's to success right out of the gate

Ok. DREAM ON PAL>
[ Edited by whatawegot on Jan 21, 2011 at 2:26 PM ]