LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

Taylor Mays at OLB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The 49ers under walsh were always inovators even on D. Jeff fuller though he was a saftey on paper was used more a linebacker many a time-he preceded Woodall. Then Keena Turner was a Linebacker who had the ability to play like a saftey. It is up to the coaches as to how they can make use of a players given ability and scheme to cover him up. So Mays playing SS but utilizing him like a linebacker on certain plays would be wise and ,aking the most of a player.
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,700 for bigmike55.
Give him another year or two to learn how to play safety in the NFL. I know some of us expected him to come in and be a big play maker right away, but we have to remember he was still a rookie.

No need to change the position he's been playing his whole life.
Originally posted by WildBill:
The 49ers under walsh were always inovators even on D. Jeff fuller though he was a saftey on paper was used more a linebacker many a time-he preceded Woodall. Then Keena Turner was a Linebacker who had the ability to play like a saftey. It is up to the coaches as to how they can make use of a players given ability and scheme to cover him up. So Mays playing SS but utilizing him like a linebacker on certain plays would be wise and making the most of a player.

....and the job of every coach in the NFL is to get the most out of what he has to work with... Good post, WildBill...
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Harbaugh just hired one of the top DB coaches in the NFL in Ed Donatell...let's see what a top flight coach can do w/Mays and his teammates.

Reasonable suggestion.....
his skill level as a safety is why i will continue to argue that a 30 stack defense can work and work well in the NFL
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Harbaugh just hired one of the top DB coaches in the NFL in Ed Donatell...let's see what a top flight coach can do w/Mays and his teammates.

Reasonable suggestion.....
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by stevenking57:
Go easy kid. A lot of Zoners have real problem thinking out of the box. The idea that a football athlete could play at another position is heresy. Hey, what do these NFL players have in common? Troy Brown, Dion Sanders, Spencer Lawson, and Preston Parker. Answer: They all have played on offense and defense in the same games! I once suggested that Taylor Mays be used in certain passing situations and was blasted for it. Funny, Mays has freakish speed and has great hands. Could you imagine Ginn and Mays spilt out from each other with Crabtree in the slot and Davis at T.E? Anyway, I support your creative thinking, just don't expect any of the Zoners critics to give any concrete reasons why it's wrong because, that might require some Zoners to use some lateral thinking.

Mays has pretty terrible hands, just check out his college career. It was pretty much one of the biggest knocks on him coming out of college, that he has no ball skills.
I guess you forgot that incredible interception in the endzone where he had to catch the ball and carefully keep his feet in bounds. He sure looked like a good receiver to me.
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
the 49ers fan make an suggest the Taylor Mays move new at OLB? WTF?? You can't tell me pls.. you are not a coach with your own!! Duh!
OK, So what are you trying to say?
He's a Safety. Hopefully he can be coached up on some of the details of the game. He has all the athleticism in the world. Whether or not that can be translated to a good player we will see.

Ok..........
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
From time to time the ideas of moving Mays to OLB has come up. In Matt Barrows live chat this afternoon, he said that with Mays being 6'3" and 230 lbs. he may not be built to chase around quicker NFL receivers. I happen to agree. My suggestion would be to move Mays to OLB, have him cover TEs and the edge and blitz occasionally. With his great, straight line speed, he is perfectly suited to that. He may even be a new kind of weapon the Niners could use to pressure the QB.

Now...he would undoubtedly have to gain about 10 lbs. to do that because he will have to fight off blocks more but I think he could do that too. To me, this seems like a much better scenario by which he could succeed in the NFL. As a safety (even a SS), he will probably always be a liability in coverage.

What do you Zoners think?

It sounds good at first, but adding the weight and power needed to deal with O-Linemen would almost certainly affect his speed negatively.
No.
Originally posted by stevenking57:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
the 49ers fan make an suggest the Taylor Mays move new at OLB? WTF?? You can't tell me pls.. you are not a coach with your own!! Duh!
OK, So what are you trying to say?

learn to read, it's not that hard.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Share 49ersWebzone