There are 213 users in the forums

New Stadium - Where do you prefer?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

New Stadium - Where do you prefer?

Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by Niners99:
the Hunters Point site is a dead dream. its in a bad part of town, and is a toxic waste dump.

Santa Clara makes way more sense, and already is in the works. they would still be in the bay area. i dont know why people get so upset about the Niners leaving the city. the Giants and Jets dont even play in the same state. the Cowboys dont play in Dallas. it doesnt matter. theyd be right near their actual team HQ where they spend all their time, and right in the heart of the fanbase.

First, The Giants and Jets play a lot closer to New York than the SC site is from San Francisco. It's about THREE MILES OUTSIDE OF MANHATTAN. You can even see the Manhattan skyline from the Meadowlands site. To compare that to something FIFTY miles away is pretty stupid.

Second, Cowboys Stadium is in Arlington, which is part of the Dallas/Ft Worth Area. It's not 10 miles outside of Dallas. Again, not only a bad comparison but a HORRIBLE one.

Third, both of them are much better projects. They are on much larger parcels with plenty of parking/access and none of the issues and are barely outside of the city the team is named for. So we've got superior/larger sites with better parking/access, one of which is 10 miles outside of the team's namesake city, the other barely three miles outside. Why even bring them up except to show how much the Santa Clara plan is NOT like the new Meadowlands or Cowboys stadiums at all?

WHAT

Okay barely outside the namesake city doesn't hold water. The point is simply this -- The Dallas Cowgirls don't play in Dallas. The NY Jets and Giants don't play in New York, and the San Francisco 49ers won't be playing in San Francisco. They could be 300 ft outside the city limit and the point is still valid. THEY DON'T PLAY IN THE CITY PERIOD. Seeing the skyline from the stadium is a great point. I suppose in the goodyear blimp floating over Santa Clara we could see that dump Hunter's Point or the San Francisco Skyline. SO WHAT!! A horrible comparison! No it's just a fact that other teams are already doing this. Santa Clara is a farther drive, and prefer that over other proposals. Tell me where there is enough land in the bay area that can be had to build a bigger stadium with more parking. It's kind of expensive if you haven't heard. If you have a better plan, I'm sure we'd like to hear it.
Originally posted by feeblefreestyler:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
With this economic climate if you think the Bay Area is building two new state-of-the-art $1 billion stadiums, you are wrong.

With local economies in such disarray much of the funding for new NFL stadiums will come from the league. Goodell has publicly stated many times that the Raiders and Niners should look into sharing a stadium. This would result in a better product for the fans, as the teams could pool funds. The Niners/Raiders rivalry is great but is keeping the Raiders separate from our stadium really worth $1 billion? I don't think so.

I find it irritating that ownership has made no efforts to work with the Raiders.

The problem is that the stadium would have to be on a neutral site. Most teams that share stadiums also share a city: Clippers/Lakers, Giants/Jets. Theoretically, the Raiders and 49ers do not have this in common.

Further, it is not unlikely that either the Raiders or the 49ers would want the stadium to be nearer their respective training facilities. So, where would that middle ground be? Oakland? SF? Both are unlikely, though they are in the middle of Napa and Santa Clara.
Scott

If the Raiders had heartburn because 49er HQ is attached to the stadium I think a good solution would be to build the stadium as planned at Great America and the 49ers could build a new HQ up the peninsula closer to the City. Raider HQ is in Alameda BTW, but their training camp is in Napa.

[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Mar 15, 2011 at 12:50:04 ]
I'd prefer it to be in San Francisco. But I'm afraid the next 9.0 earthquake and the ensuing tsunami would destroy it completely. So, I'm all for moving it further inland!

Not that Santa Clara is exempt from earthquakes, but it's a bit further from a major body of water.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by feeblefreestyler:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
With this economic climate if you think the Bay Area is building two new state-of-the-art $1 billion stadiums, you are wrong.

With local economies in such disarray much of the funding for new NFL stadiums will come from the league. Goodell has publicly stated many times that the Raiders and Niners should look into sharing a stadium. This would result in a better product for the fans, as the teams could pool funds. The Niners/Raiders rivalry is great but is keeping the Raiders separate from our stadium really worth $1 billion? I don't think so.

I find it irritating that ownership has made no efforts to work with the Raiders.

The problem is that the stadium would have to be on a neutral site. Most teams that share stadiums also share a city: Clippers/Lakers, Giants/Jets. Theoretically, the Raiders and 49ers do not have this in common.

Further, it is not unlikely that either the Raiders or the 49ers would want the stadium to be nearer their respective training facilities. So, where would that middle ground be? Oakland? SF? Both are unlikely, though they are in the middle of Napa and Santa Clara.
Scott

If the Raiders had heartburn because 49er HQ is attached to the stadium I think a good solution would be to build the stadium as planned at Great America and the 49ers could build a new HQ up the peninsula closer to the City. Raider HQ is in Alameda BTW, but their training camp is in Napa.

Good knowledge. I still think it would present a problem. I don't know if the 49ers would want to move, given they just upgraded their team facilities. Perhaps, and this is crazy, they could build a stadium on Treasure Island.
Scott
http://www.mercurynews.com/49ersheadlines/49ers/ci_17669440

Quote:
Banking that the San Francisco 49ers will come through with a new stadium, Santa Clara leaders on Monday handed off $4 million to the football team to begin prepping part of the Great America parking lot for the $937 million project.

The 49ers will get $4 million now, and can spend up to $36 million more knowing the city would repay the team later when it gets the money through future property tax revenue. Overall, the city has pledged $114 million in public money toward the stadium, but nothing from its general fund. The 49ers will use the first chunk of money to relocate utilities, improve access on the site and complete other work necessary before the construction can begin.

It's a start . . .

Quote:
Banking that the San Francisco 49ers will come through with a new stadium, Santa Clara leaders on Monday handed off $4 million to the football team to begin prepping part of the Great America parking lot for the $937 million project.

The 49ers will get $4 million now, and can spend up to $36 million more knowing the city would repay the team later when it gets the money through future property tax revenue. Overall, the city has pledged $114 million in public money toward the stadium, but nothing from its general fund. The 49ers will use the first chunk of money to relocate utilities, improve access on the site and complete other work necessary before the construction can begin.

It's a start . . .

I am in full support of a new 49ers stadium, but I would be pissed if I were a SC resident. Giving money away "to relocate utilities, improve access" will go down the drain if this deal falls through. The 49ers were counting on a large part coming from the NFL and that doesn't look like it will happen before 2015.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

Quote:

It's a start . . .

I am in full support of a new 49ers stadium, but I would be pissed if I were a SC resident. Giving money away "to relocate utilities, improve access" will go down the drain if this deal falls through. The 49ers were counting on a large part coming from the NFL and that doesn't look like it will happen before 2015.

Forgive me, but why 2015? I've tuned out the CBA bull$hit, so I haven't heard anything about the fine points of future stadium funding from the NFL. But I've been assuming that once the CBA is a done deal NFL stadium funding deals for the franchises in most urgent need (SF and Minny) would follow relatively soon after.

Quote:

It's a start . . .

Forgive me, but why 2015? I've tuned out the CBA bull$hit, so I haven't heard anything about the fine points of future stadium funding from the NFL. But I've been assuming that once the CBA is a done deal NFL stadium funding deals for the franchises in most urgent need (SF and Minny) would follow relatively soon after.

I'm just making the assumption that funding wont be available immediately after the smoke clears with this CBA mess. This extra funding is, in large part, the reason behind asking for the extra 1 billion by the owners, but I suspect they will argue there still wont be enough after the players bring that figure down below $800 mil.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
the Hunters Point site is a dead dream. its in a bad part of town, and is a toxic waste dump.

Santa Clara makes way more sense, and already is in the works. they would still be in the bay area. i dont know why people get so upset about the Niners leaving the city. the Giants and Jets dont even play in the same state. the Cowboys dont play in Dallas. it doesnt matter. theyd be right near their actual team HQ where they spend all their time, and right in the heart of the fanbase.

This.

Quote:

It's a start . . .

I'm just making the assumption that funding wont be available immediately after the smoke clears with this CBA mess. This extra funding is, in large part, the reason behind asking for the extra 1 billion by the owners, but I suspect they will argue there still wont be enough after the players bring that figure down below $800 mil.

As of now the Niners project the stadium will be open for the 2015 season. To make that happen they would probably need to be moving dirt by no later than spring/summer 2013, which means the financing would need to be in place by late 2012 . . . in about 18-20 months. That should be doable, assuming there's a league stadium funding system similar to the last one.

• bors
  • Veteran
my fav part about trips to candlestick is the ocean.its a one of a kind thing for me.
tailgating by the bay.

that great america area is an armpit i used to live by it.ooh lets plan our road trip vacation to santa clara lol
Keep it in SF
any news on the cleanup of Hunter's Point?
pretty close down the line
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
Originally posted by Gavintech:

First, The Giants and Jets play a lot closer to New York than the SC site is from San Francisco. It's about THREE MILES OUTSIDE OF MANHATTAN. You can even see the Manhattan skyline from the Meadowlands site. To compare that to something FIFTY miles away is pretty stupid.

Second, Cowboys Stadium is in Arlington, which is part of the Dallas/Ft Worth Area. It's not 10 miles outside of Dallas. Again, not only a bad comparison but a HORRIBLE one.

Third, both of them are much better projects. They are on much larger parcels with plenty of parking/access and none of the issues and are barely outside of the city the team is named for. So we've got superior/larger sites with better parking/access, one of which is 10 miles outside of the team's namesake city, the other barely three miles outside. Why even bring them up except to show how much the Santa Clara plan is NOT like the new Meadowlands or Cowboys stadiums at all?

WHAT

Okay barely outside the namesake city doesn't hold water. The point is simply this -- The Dallas Cowgirls don't play in Dallas. The NY Jets and Giants don't play in New York, and the San Francisco 49ers won't be playing in San Francisco. They could be 300 ft outside the city limit and the point is still valid. THEY DON'T PLAY IN THE CITY PERIOD. Seeing the skyline from the stadium is a great point. I suppose in the goodyear blimp floating over Santa Clara we could see that dump Hunter's Point or the San Francisco Skyline. SO WHAT!! A horrible comparison! No it's just a fact that other teams are already doing this. Santa Clara is a farther drive, and prefer that over other proposals. Tell me where there is enough land in the bay area that can be had to build a bigger stadium with more parking. It's kind of expensive if you haven't heard. If you have a better plan, I'm sure we'd like to hear it.

Nice try... You almost got me to actually waste time responding. Then I realized and banged out this 15 second post, which is just as useful to you.
Share 49ersWebzone