There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Michael Crabtree 2010 Season Video...

Originally posted by excelsior:
I much appreciate your work, Marvin. With Alex going to another team, I will not be able to enjoy watching him in action much. With your clips I can go back from time to time and watch Alex at his best - a thing of beauty, and I am not being facetious. (Boy, do I enjoy provoking the Alex haters)

Now, 3, 2, 1 ...

Dude, you're a f**king troll. If the OP says that all he wants to talk about in this thread is Crabtree, then that should be it. He made the video, he put in his hard work, and all you wanna do is talk about Alex Smith. Get outta here with that s**t man.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I dont know that I've ever seen him make significant yards if he has to make people miss and thats how I think of Crabtree.

But you see it repeatedly in the video.

I think what might be happening is that you either a) have unrealistic expectations when it comes to WRs and YAC (Crabs is in the top 10, but that's not good enough), b) have unrealistic expectations about the frequency with which WRs actually break tackles, c) might be talking about Crabs lack of breakaway speed but mistakenly are referring to his YAC, or D) have your mind made up that Crabs isn't that great and aren't going to be convinced otherwise even if we're just talking about a single area he excels in.

FWIW, I have my doubts about Crabs as a #1 too, I have my doubts about if he'll warrant his draft slot, but here's what I see when I see Crabs:

Crabtree is CONSISTENTLY juking people and squeezing and extra 3-8 yards on the end of every reception. Wile he'll sometimes dive between hits to eek out a couple yards he rarely runs out of bounds and very rarely is brought down cleanly by the first defender. Basically, so far he's shown that he's an absolutely excellent underneath receiver, and particularly adept at getting first downs (while maybe not being a "gamebreaker" or true #1 -- it remains to be seen).
Get ready Crabs, you're gonna need to bury your ass into the playbook the moment the CBA is resolved, these (WCO) route-trees don't f**k around.

Holy s**t Snake.

I hope our players are smart enough to learn all this s**t.
Knowing the routes isn't the complicated part, it's reading defenses and being on the same page with the quarterback that's the tricky part.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
No hate towards the dude making the vid, but this doesn't show crabtrees true season..

All the drop/deflection INT's caused.. The lack of breakaway speed.. etc. This vid made alex look good though.

There is no more need to worry about the tipped balls for interceptions with Crabtree, he only did it catching passes from Alex Smith.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
No hate towards the dude making the vid, but this doesn't show crabtrees true season..

All the drop/deflection INT's caused.. The lack of breakaway speed.. etc. This vid made alex look good though.

There is no more need to worry about the tipped balls for interceptions with Crabtree, he only did it catching passes from Alex Smith.
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:
Knowing the routes isn't the complicated part, it's reading defenses and being on the same page with the quarterback that's the tricky part.

damn our offense is probably gonna start slow, i can see this place exploding with wtf is harbaugh doing??
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
I dont know that I've ever seen him make significant yards if he has to make people miss and thats how I think of Crabtree.

But you see it repeatedly in the video.

I think what might be happening is that you either a) have unrealistic expectations when it comes to WRs and YAC (Crabs is in the top 10, but that's not good enough), b) have unrealistic expectations about the frequency with which WRs actually break tackles, c) might be talking about Crabs lack of breakaway speed but mistakenly are referring to his YAC, or D) have your mind made up that Crabs isn't that great and aren't going to be convinced otherwise even if we're just talking about a single area he excels in.

FWIW, I have my doubts about Crabs as a #1 too, I have my doubts about if he'll warrant his draft slot, but here's what I see when I see Crabs:

Crabtree is CONSISTENTLY juking people and squeezing and extra 3-8 yards on the end of every reception. Wile he'll sometimes dive between hits to eek out a couple yards he rarely runs out of bounds and very rarely is brought down cleanly by the first defender. Basically, so far he's shown that he's an absolutely excellent underneath receiver, and particularly adept at getting first downs (while maybe not being a "gamebreaker" or true #1 -- it remains to be seen).

The answer is C. I can see how he has a reasonably high YAC at 5.8 since he is consistently trying to get those few extra yards, but at the end of the day he hasn't shown the ability to do much more than that. I guess when I think of YAC, I'm thinking of ball- in -hand big play ability. Obviously, that is not the definition and it is clear YAC isn't a good measure of that. Again, he has pretty solid production for a number 2 WR, maybe even an OK number one, but I'm not impressed being he was a top ten pick. I'll reserve full judgement until we have a real QB and scheme.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Get ready Crabs, you're gonna need to bury your ass into the playbook the moment the CBA is resolved, these (WCO) route-trees don't f**k around.

Nice. No more Gore up the gut into a brick wall 90% of the time! About time we get back into some finesse
Originally posted by susweel:
Are all of his dropped passes in there ???

this
  • JRILL
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
You guys may remember I did one of these last year for his rookie season. Well, this is the sequel. ;-) Its available in full 1080p.

Please, no comments on the music. 50% will hate it. 50% will love it. 100% will have to deal with it. Nobody will ever agree, so I put the music that I like.

Michael Crabtree 2010 Season

These are a few of my previous vids...

Michael Crabtree 2009 Rookie Season

2010 49ers Draft Class (First 5 Picks)

Enjoy. ;-)

Nice video bro!!!
This experience regarding my coffee metaphor instructs me that some just cannot deal with metaphors - they cannot connect the metaphor with the concept. Everything has to be literal with them. In the future I will try to teach by drawing pictures.
Originally posted by excelsior:
This experience regarding my coffee metaphor instructs me that some just cannot deal with metaphors - they cannot connect the metaphor with the concept. Everything has to be literal with them. In the future I will try to teach by drawing pictures.

Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Crabtree was not impressive this year. That video showed he has about zero YAC ability.

Dude, are you like really, really serious?

Crabtree was Top 10 (#8) in the NFL this year for YAC/catch for receivers w/ >50 catches this year.

If you want to go down to 40 catches, he's Top 11, and Josh Morgan (now eligible w/ 44 catches) is top 3 in the NFL.

Vernon Davis was also #1 in the NFL for YAC/catch this year for TEs.

Basically, if you want to combine WRs and TEs and make the threshold 40 catches, we had three players in the top 15 in the NFL for YAC per catch this last season.*

I swear to god some of you don't even watch the games and just come here to senselessly complain.

*Which yes, is also Alex's fault.

EDIT: Stats here -- http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=WR&conference=NFL&year=season_2010&timeframe=All&sort=46&old_category=TE

pwn3d lol

So are you guys done with the high-fives and circle jerk yet?

Let me clarify a few things for you.

1. When I say zero, I dont literally mean zero. Crabtree's YAC in 2010 was 5.8. There are a lot of guys in the low 6 to 5 range so it's not like he's running away with it (No pun intended). My main point was to say unlike some of the "elite" recievers that I watched this weekend, he isn't that elusive and doesn't appear to be a threat to take it to the house when the ball is in his hand. Just watch the video Marvin made, he made a few miss, but it's not like he's juking people out of their socks. More often than not, he's tackeled around where he catches the ball. That's not good considering he's not a burner or deep threat. At this point he is more of a possession reciever.
2. Crabtree was a top 10/11 pick. I'm judging him a lot harsher than a player like Josh Morgan. A player taken in the top ten should be elite, period.
3. We all know that Alex Smith only throws to recievers when they are wide open... (I thought you'd like that).
4. The fact that Davis and Morgan are so high on the YAC list leads me to believe I'm not expressing myself well enough. I was thinking of YAC more in terms of "after contact" or with defenders around you. Davis is fantasic when he is allowed to run, but the guy is like a rusty robot when it comes to eluding defenders with the ball in hand. I dont know that I've ever seen him make significant yards if he has to make people miss and thats how I think of Crabtree.

Pwnd, maybe. But he still hasn't shown me anything more than I would expect from a solid 2nd WR.

I'm gonna disagree with you here.

Crabtree isn't as elusive as Steve Smith (from the Panthers) or Desean Jackson. You are correct in that regard.

What he is however is subtle and strong. He makes small moves and almost always gets an extra 2 or 3 yards. He will also put his head down and drive his legs. I LOVE that.

I think the larger issue tho is scheme. For a guy to really take advantage of YAC ability, he needs a scheme that will get him the ball in space. He wasn't getting that. More often than not he was getting hit just as he caught the ball.

Whenever you saw him get the ball with some space, he did something with it.

When the WCO is fully installed and the QBs are familiar with it (and that may not be this year...it may take some time) you will see him break alot more of those plays into long runs.

Finally...I want to know what you consider great YAC. Are you talking Terrell Owens in SF? Thats just not going to happen. Say what you want about how good he should be since he was taken top 10, but ALOT of recievers were taken top 10 and NONE of them is Terrell Owens.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 18, 2011 at 11:08 PM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home