There are 161 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ed Donatell Hired as Secondary Coach

Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by PTulini:
I am really liking what Harbaugh is doing with the coaching staff. He is putting together a strong coaching staff thus far.

Agreed. There are still a few more positions left to fill. I'll be interested to see who the 49ers QB coach (even though we know unofficially it's Jim Harbaugh) and WR coach will be.

I don't have a clue who the QB coach would be but I would love to see Jerry Rice get a shot at it. He already works with college players like he did with D. Jackson. He loves the game and I am pretty sure he would jump at the opportunity to get back into the game. His drive and determination leads me to believe that he could be a great coach.

You mean Jerry Rice for WR coach, don't you?
I am really liking what Harbaugh is doing with the coaching staff. He is putting together a strong coaching staff thus far.

Agreed. There are still a few more positions left to fill. I'll be interested to see who the 49ers QB coach (even though we know unofficially it's Jim Harbaugh) and WR coach will be.

I don't have a clue who the QB coach would be but I would love to see Jerry Rice get a shot at it. He already works with college players like he did with D. Jackson. He loves the game and I am pretty sure he would jump at the opportunity to get back into the game. His drive and determination leads me to believe that he could be a great coach.

You mean Jerry Rice for WR coach, don't you?

huh strange, in my head I said WR's coach but my stupid fingers did not.
Evidently it's not official yet . . .

Per MM Twitter 1/18/11: 9AM

Quote:
League source: Ed Donatell is meeting today with 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh. Donatell, 53, coached DBs with Broncos last season.
MaioccoCSN Twitter: League source: Ed Donatell is meeting today with 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh. Donatell, 53, coached DBs with Broncos last season.

Why is this news? Am I missing something?
Originally posted by DownInTheCity:
MaioccoCSN Twitter: League source: Ed Donatell is meeting today with 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh. Donatell, 53, coached DBs with Broncos last season.

Why is this news? Am I missing something?

I think it means the report that he was hired was premature.
Wtf I though it was official. Wasent it a team announcement
Speaking of good DB coaches, what ever happened to Ray Rhodes? He was a good DB and D coodinator. Only problem if they ever got a coach like that and the niners succeed, it'll like Norv Turner, so hiring guys that won't leave a while or already have a rep as good coordinator but bad HC is wise.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Speaking of good DB coaches, what ever happened to Ray Rhodes? He was a good DB and D coodinator. Only problem if they ever got a coach like that and the niners succeed, it'll like Norv Turner, so hiring guys that won't leave a while or already have a rep as good coordinator but bad HC is wise.

I think he was in Houston as a consultant. I would say that Ray Rhodes had his run as a head coach, but I thought the same about Norv Turner in 2006.
This hire dosen't sound official just yet...
He's meeting with Coach Harbaugh today.
With Champ Bailey a UFA and Denver's awful defense, there's good reasons to come and coach-up Harbaugh's secondary. Niners are a lot closer to being a playoff team than Denver, trust me. Anxious to see what he can do with the likes of Mays, Adams, Stoudamire and Brown.
Originally posted by 49ersVic:
As you've read on Twitter, the 49ers have finally secured Stanford defensive coordinator Vic Fangio to run their 3-4 defense (first reported by Matt Maiocco on CSNBA, and needlessly confirmed by my team sources).

Fangio is a fourth-time NFL defensive coordinator, but he isn't alone in that experience department.

The 49ers have also landed Broncos assistant Ed Donatell to coach their secondary, according to a league source. He was a defensive coordinator in Green Bay (2000-03) and Atlanta (2004-06) and was the secondary coach in Denver's Super Bowl repeat in the 90s.

Consider Donatell the first step, and a major step at that, toward addressing the NFL's 24th-ranked defense.

Donatell walked into Denver last season and turned an overturned roster into the NFL's third-ranked pass defense. His Packers led the NFL in takeaways from 2001-03.

Coaching up the secondary is Donatell's specialty. He's coached the likes of Champ Bailey, Ty Law and Steve Atwater. Look for him to get more out of safety Dashon Goldson and help develop Taylor Mays into starter's material, as well as whatever cornerback the 49ers decide to draft -- and you better believe they're going to draft one up high.

Harbaugh is clearly the man in charge in San Francisco, but by hiring two experienced NFL defensive coordinators, he's showing a willingness to put the defensive side of the team into the hands of far more qualified people. Given the last head coach's knack for wandering out of his personal wheelhouse, this can only be a good thing.

I am really surprised nobody questioned your source. I thought he had already been hired and the Matts are reporting he is barely meeting Harbaugh today:

Quote:
Secondary
Ed Donatell*
Comment: The San Francisco Chronicle first reported interest in Donatell, a former defensive coordinator for the Falcons and Packers, and CSN Bay Area reports he is meeting with Harbaugh today.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/01/harbaugh-staff.html#ixzz1BQZpNHqv

Noob!
Quote:
Donatell walked into Denver last season and turned an overturned roster into the NFL's third-ranked pass defense. His Packers led the NFL in takeaways from 2001-03.

We are going to be one damn aggressive team.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Quote:

notig to lose, we sat back and got brunt last year, might aswell be agressive and see what happens
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Quote:

notig to lose, we sat back and got brunt last year, might aswell be agressive and see what happens

I think these guys will love the talent we have in the front 7 and maximize how Patrick Willis is used.