LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Ed Donatell Hired as Secondary Coach

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yea good we need to shake our secondary up. So good first step Coach. Next step trade Clements. Next get Nnamdi or Champ. Then draft "The Prince". Coach up Mays, Goldson, Spencer, and Smith. Next SUPER BOWL!!! GO NINERS!!!!
I know I'm new here and probably gonna get torn apart after this but I wonder if most people calling for clements head realize he is a big reason our run D is so good.
Originally posted by SJ49er:
I know I'm new here and probably gonna get torn apart after this but I wonder if most people calling for clements head realize he is a big reason our run D is so good.

No, you are right on. He plays the run very well. That's why they want to keep him especially against our slot and the nickel and dime Ds. I hope he takes a pay cut to be our #3 and draft a new #1 allowing Spencer to stay at #2.

Even with that new makeup in our secondary, none will be felt more than in the Safeties. If I remember right, that's his specialty. He loves to mentor and develop them. I remember Atwater, . I know he's linked to several other big name safeties, too, so I can expect improvement overall. Yet, I can imagine what he can do with someone like Mays.

Keep Clements, get that new #1 CB either FA or Draft, and develop that young Safety group. See if Goldson stays or goes. Either way, we have a good young group. I remember that Taylor is supposed to come back, too. Before his injury he was getting much better.

Yup, now we have a coach who knows how to develop the secondary resources on our team.

Welcome aboard!!!

Welcome to The WZone man. I believe most of us agree with you Clements is great at making noise stopping the run, but to command his salary this upcoming season, he needs some coverage skills. And those, along with his speed are declining, so the money is not adding up with what he's bringing.

If the 49ers had to make a decision to only keep Clements or Lawson to shore up our run D, we should resign Manny! I think he offers more to our defense.

I like Clements a lot but not starting CB anymore
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Welcome.

If used correctly, Clements can be a good corner. He has not been used correctly.

He is a press corner, not a deep zone corner.

You are correct.

Good first post.

I agree that if he don't take a paycut then it's time to go. I wouldn't be upset if we kept him at 5 to 6mil though.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Welcome to the NT. I think your right. As others have said, Clements needs to be used properly. The problem is bump and run or press doesn't work when there isn't an adequate pass-rush. I would love to keep Clements but we must get a pass-rush especially against Hasslebeck who we were see twice next season and Bradford will have some weapons. The best way to nullify the short passing game (Donnatell and Fangio will do I hope) is get some pressure OLBs and maybe a CB, coach up the safeties. It all starts with pressure.

Good post.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Welcome to the NT. I think your right. As others have said, Clements needs to be used properly. The problem is bump and run or press doesn't work when there isn't an adequate pass-rush. I would love to keep Clements but we must get a pass-rush especially against Hasslebeck who we were see twice next season and Bradford will have some weapons. The best way to nullify the short passing game (Donnatell and Fangio will do I hope) is get some pressure OLBs and maybe a CB, coach up the safeties. It all starts with pressure.

Good post.

I agree. Coach up Mays and we will be special

Welcome.

If used correctly, Clements can be a good corner. He has not been used correctly.

You are correct.

Good first post.

I think Clements good be great at the nickle CB that way he can focus on pressing and hitting underneath
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

Welcome.

You are correct.

Good first post.

I think Clements good be great at the nickle CB that way he can focus on pressing and hitting underneath

You can always pay another corner to do the same thing in the nickel. Clements needs to be able to play press coverage on the receiver on the outside because of his physical style of play. The problem as said before is that there needs to be pressure on the QB in order to make that style work.

I am really liking what Harbaugh is doing with the coaching staff. He is putting together a strong coaching staff thus far.
Originally posted by backontop:
I am really liking what Harbaugh is doing with the coaching staff. He is putting together a strong coaching staff thus far.

Agreed. There are still a few more positions left to fill. I'll be interested to see who the 49ers QB coach (even though we know unofficially it's Jim Harbaugh) and WR coach will be.
Originally posted by PTulini:

Agreed. There are still a few more positions left to fill. I'll be interested to see who the 49ers QB coach (even though we know unofficially it's Jim Harbaugh) and WR coach will be.

I don't have a clue who the QB coach would be but I would love to see Jerry Rice get a shot at it. He already works with college players like he did with D. Jackson. He loves the game and I am pretty sure he would jump at the opportunity to get back into the game. His drive and determination leads me to believe that he could be a great coach.
Originally posted by BMore9ersfan:
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Originally posted by 49ersVic:

Donatell walked into Denver last season and turned an overturned roster into the NFL's third-ranked pass defense.

Umm, Denver had one of the worst PASS DEFENSES in the NFL this year. Perhaps the credit from 2009 should go to Mike Nolan, not Donatell.

This year Denver gave up the 25th most Passing YPG and the 30th highest QB rating against. Oh and their secondary only created 10 int's (2nd fewest in the NFL). Yikes. Not impressive.

You forgot to mention that they had the worse pass rush in the league (23 total sacks). If you've been watching the Niners for the last few years you already know that a weak pass rush means QBs are going to pick you apart. A team could have Revis and Asomugha at corner, but without a pass rush, they're going to get ripped up any capable NFL Qb.

It looked like Reevis and Cromartie were able to shut down Manning and Brady with little pass rush.
Originally posted by PTulini:

I don't have a clue who the QB coach would be but I would love to see Jerry Rice get a shot at it. He already works with college players like he did with D. Jackson. He loves the game and I am pretty sure he would jump at the opportunity to get back into the game. His drive and determination leads me to believe that he could be a great coach.

You mean Jerry Rice for WR coach, don't you?
Share 49ersWebzone