There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ed Donatell Hired as Secondary Coach

Could turn out to be Harbaugh's best hire. Our weak link has been the secondary. This guy has proven he can coach a secondary with the best of them. GREAT HIRE!! Turn Fangio loose with the LB's and we may have a bad ass defense.
Originally posted by 49ersrock75:
Could turn out to be Harbaugh's best hire. Our weak link has been the secondary. This guy has proven he can coach a secondary with the best of them. GREAT HIRE!! Turn Fangio loose with the LB's and we may have a bad ass defense.

Let's go Tmays
  • nooj
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Genius1310:
Welcome to the 49ers!

I thought Donatello was purple. Is that new or something?
Originally posted by Schulzy:
I have liked all of Harbaugh's hires, but this one has me most excited.

On offense, Harbaugh is surrounding himself with guys he's familiar with, but on D, he's focusing on building an experienced NFL staff (Tomsula, Donatell, Fangio)

Yep, I like his hires and the experience in his candidates.

From maiocco's blog...

The only outside names I've heard in direct connection to Harbaugh are offensive coach Marc Trestman, coach of the two-time defending Grey Cup champion Montreal Alouettes, and defensive coach Jim Leavitt, the former South Florida head coach. With Roman coming to the 49ers in such a prominent role, Trestman would not appear likely to leave his current situation.

Whether he lands Trestman and Leavitt or not, his candidate list definitely has been planned out in advance.
Originally posted by 49ersVic:
As you've read on Twitter, the 49ers have finally secured Stanford defensive coordinator Vic Fangio to run their 3-4 defense (first reported by Matt Maiocco on CSNBA, and needlessly confirmed by my team sources).

Fangio is a fourth-time NFL defensive coordinator, but he isn't alone in that experience department.

The 49ers have also landed Broncos assistant Ed Donatell to coach their secondary, according to a league source. He was a defensive coordinator in Green Bay (2000-03) and Atlanta (2004-06) and was the secondary coach in Denver's Super Bowl repeat in the 90s.

Consider Donatell the first step, and a major step at that, toward addressing the NFL's 24th-ranked defense.

Donatell walked into Denver last season and turned an overturned roster into the NFL's third-ranked pass defense. His Packers led the NFL in takeaways from 2001-03.

Coaching up the secondary is Donatell's specialty. He's coached the likes of Champ Bailey, Ty Law and Steve Atwater. Look for him to get more out of safety Dashon Goldson and help develop Taylor Mays into starter's material, as well as whatever cornerback the 49ers decide to draft -- and you better believe they're going to draft one up high.

Harbaugh is clearly the man in charge in San Francisco, but by hiring two experienced NFL defensive coordinators, he's showing a willingness to put the defensive side of the team into the hands of far more qualified people. Given the last head coach's knack for wandering out of his personal wheelhouse, this can only be a good thing.

OP, you should post the link or at least acknowledge the source.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Joygasm!

Happiness overload.

Brain no longer functional.
Think about it. Essentially 2 DC's and with Harbaugh and Roman, 2 OC's. We're stacked!
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Joygasm!

Happiness overload.

I don't know much about the dude, but it's obvious that change was needed. Whatever the Niners have been doing in recent years wasn't working, good to see some change.

It'd be nice to see some progress from Smith and Mays this next season.
Originally posted by rage49:
Think about it. Essentially 2 DC's and with Harbaugh and Roman, 2 OC's. We're stacked!

yep! MORE! MORE!
Originally posted by Genius1310:
Welcome to the 49ers!

thought the same thing

Donatell walked into Denver last season and turned an overturned roster into the NFL's third-ranked pass defense.

Umm, Denver had one of the worst PASS DEFENSES in the NFL this year. Perhaps the credit from 2009 should go to Mike Nolan, not Donatell.

This year Denver gave up the 25th most Passing YPG and the 30th highest QB rating against. Oh and their secondary only created 10 int's (2nd fewest in the NFL). Yikes. Not impressive.
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:

Donatell walked into Denver last season and turned an overturned roster into the NFL's third-ranked pass defense.

Umm, Denver had one of the worst PASS DEFENSES in the NFL this year. Perhaps the credit from 2009 should go to Mike Nolan, not Donatell.

This year Denver gave up the 25th most Passing YPG and the 30th highest QB rating against. Oh and their secondary only created 10 int's (2nd fewest in the NFL). Yikes. Not impressive.

Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Joygasm!

Happiness overload.

I don't know much about the dude, but it's obvious that change was needed. Whatever the Niners have been doing in recent years wasn't working, good to see some change.

It'd be nice to see some progress from Smith and Mays this next season.

At least on paper, we are off to an excellent start.

This just underlines the absurdity of the hiring of Mike S.

The hirings will hopefully bring out the best of all our players.
As you've read on Twitter, the 49ers have finally secured Stanford defensive coordinator Vic Fangio to run their 3-4 defense (first reported by Matt Maiocco on CSNBA, and needlessly confirmed by my team sources).

Fangio is a fourth-time NFL defensive coordinator, but he isn't alone in that experience department.

The 49ers have also landed Broncos assistant Ed Donatell to coach their secondary, according to a league source. He was a defensive coordinator in Green Bay (2000-03) and Atlanta (2004-06) and was the secondary coach in Denver's Super Bowl repeat in the 90s.

Consider Donatell the first step, and a major step at that, toward addressing the NFL's 24th-ranked defense.

I hope you're right. At least this year I'm hopeful we can pull off some of our offseason hopes and dreams.

Donatell walked into Denver last season and turned an overturned roster into the NFL's third-ranked pass defense. His Packers led the NFL in takeaways from 2001-03.

Coaching up the secondary is Donatell's specialty. He's coached the likes of Champ Bailey, Ty Law and Steve Atwater. Look for him to get more out of safety Dashon Goldson and help develop Taylor Mays into starter's material, as well as whatever cornerback the 49ers decide to draft -- and you better believe they're going to draft one up high.

Harbaugh is clearly the man in charge in San Francisco, but by hiring two experienced NFL defensive coordinators, he's showing a willingness to put the defensive side of the team into the hands of far more qualified people. Given the last head coach's knack for wandering out of his personal wheelhouse, this can only be a good thing.