LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Greg Roman named as 49ers offensive coordinator

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Is this Good? Bad?

Well, considering that Harbaugh will be calling the plays on offense, Roman will just be a consultant on the playcalling and will be the QB coach. So...

to me this is very good. Jim had a good thing going on in Stanford, thats why we hire him, this only helps to better teach and implement that system to the players on the team.

lets go niners!!!!
Originally posted by susweel:
Is this Good? Bad?

time will tell

What do you think?

We are waiting on you to give us some guidance, Will. What do you say?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Is this Good? Bad?

time will tell

What do you think?

I think it dont really matters because Harbaugh is pretty much the OC. This guy will be there to organize and install the offense. But on game days its gonna be the Harbaugh show.
Anyone would probable be an upgrade over what this team has had since Turner. If Roman can figure out how to best utilize the talent on offense, which the team has a lot of, and Harbaugh calls something other than a run on third and long then the team should at least be better than it was. Gotta keep taking steps in the right direction.
in Harbaugh I trust. So, whatev's
Is this Good? Bad?

time will tell

He is basically just an assistant OC anyways
Originally posted by boast:
OC by title only. Harbaugh is the real OC of the Niners.

Yup

This guy is basically there for organizing and installing the offense. Harbaugh will call the plays.
The other thing now that I don't have to worry about is these yahoos leaving after one year a la McCarthy and Turner. Those two vacancies set our offense back for years with inconsistent BS.

Now, Roman looks like a guy who just getting his feat wet in the NFL offensive coordinator spot. That's great! He will stick around for a few years I hope. The same with Fangio once he's named.

If Polian comes on as ST coach, we have a solid nucleus of our top coordinators to build on for some time. This is so important to the success of the development of the team.

Finally!!!
Originally posted by boast:
OC by title only. Harbaugh is the real OC of the Niners.

Yup

This guy is basically there for organizing and installing the offense. Harbaugh will call the plays.

or if harbaugh gets ejected at some point

Originally posted by English:
Is this Good? Bad?

time will tell

What do you think?

We are waiting on you to give us some guidance, Will. What do you say?

Rollin with Roman..

Romance with Roman
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Well lets look at it this way... Say 49ers make the playoffs and get to the NFC championship game. Greg Roman uses that to get a pro or college head coaching job. It would not be a big loss (Like Turner leaving) because we still have Harbaugh controlling the offense and not just relying on the coordinator and it wouldn't hurt the development of a young QB, like with what could happen with Bradford in St. Louis.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
  • evil
  • Veteran
And so begins the Roman empire.....
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Is this Good? Bad?

Well, considering that Harbaugh will be calling the plays on offense, Roman will just be a consultant on the playcalling and will be the QB coach. So...

Dont be so sure about that. I'm actually pretty comfortable with the hire because Roman's resume looks pretty good. The guy was coaching many positions under Harbaugh's offensive system, which shows great versatility and knowledge. Add hard worker because it must have been hard to work with all of the different groups.

I expect Roman to be Harbaughs right-hand man and take most of the offensive game planning duties and installs, but with the option for Harbaugh to put in his two cents whenever necessary.
Share 49ersWebzone