There are 247 users in the forums

Greg Roman named as 49ers offensive coordinator

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by redrathman:
I'm calling it now: Greg Roman will interview for NFL Head Coaching vacancies this offseason.

Who cares its JH who is the man calling the shots anyways.
I'm calling it now: Greg Roman will interview for NFL Head Coaching vacancies this offseason.

I don't see him as a good head coach. But a good coordinator. Some guys has it as HC material, I don't think Roman is one. Not seeing any charisma, if that makes any sense.
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by susweel:
Hopefully he's a better OC then his brother was at Safety.

How? What? lol

A post from January with this pic.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Marty Mornhinweg didnt get a HC job this year despite helping to make Vick a real QB and having a explosive offense.

Took Josh McDaniels a few years to be named as a HC

Clarence Shelmon has been OC of one of the better offenses (Chargers) in the NFL and is not talked about as a HC.

Joe Philbin (OC Green Bay) Has yet to see serious consideration for HC job.

Pete Carmicael, Jr (OC Saints) not been looked at for HC jobs.

And what do they all have in common.... All have strong offensive minded HC, that are seen as more of the architects of the offense then the coordinators. We wont have to worry about Roman going anywhere, unless he really wants to coach in college.
a couple of things before the " Rolling Roman" train begins its trip

1) has he ever been a head coach even at college level idk and if so how come he never popped up on the radar?
2) how many times do rookie nfl coordinators get offered anything other then a lateral move?
3) ive seen this movie before the one when this team gets a seemingly good O coordinator for them to bolt after the 1st year. im truly
hoping JH has seen this movie too and wants to break the cycle and..... ya know i just dont get the feeling that JH would bring anybody along for the ride
who not in for a long haul. the grind

1) has he ever been a head coach even at college level idk and if so how come he never popped up on the radar?
2) how many times do rookie nfl coordinators get offered anything other then a lateral move?
3) ive seen this movie before the one when this team gets a seemingly good O coordinator for them to bolt after the 1st year. im truly
hoping JH has seen this movie too and wants to break the cycle and..... ya know i just dont get the feeling that JH would bring anybody along for the ride
  • JB11
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Great read can't wait for week one

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Great piece on Greg Roman's influences . . . I'm jacked . . .

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_18826000

Here's what isn't a state secret: When Roman was a student at John Carroll University, near Cleveland, he and a handful of his teammates became enraptured by Dr. Thomas Evans, a terrorism expert whose violence and aggression class is among the most popular on campus. "We hit it off and he took us under his wing," Roman says now.

Evans would meet with players outside of class to share strategies from his CIA days that might translate to the football field. The emphasis wasn't military strategy but rather mental preparation, with Evans urging players to energize their "animal brain" for maximum reaction time. He also taught them how to overcome the traditional limits of pain and fatigue.

I was one of the players referenced. At the time this kind of thing was considered taboo, and we were often ridiculed and discouraged for taking this direction with Dr. Evans, but we had a total commitment to eachother, our team, and victory.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Marty Mornhinweg didnt get a HC job this year despite helping to make Vick a real QB and having a explosive offense.

Took Josh McDaniels a few years to be named as a HC

Clarence Shelmon has been OC of one of the better offenses (Chargers) in the NFL and is not talked about as a HC.

And what do they all have in common.... All have strong offensive minded HC, that are seen as more of the architects of the offense then the coordinators. We wont have to worry about Roman going anywhere, unless he really wants to coach in college.

Originally posted by Allx9er:

Now he is a finalist for the Penn St. job?
this is stupid threat about lost our assist oc or dc! stop threat about lost our head coach assist or oc or dc.. whatever...
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
this is stupid threat about lost our assist oc or dc! stop threat about lost our head coach assist or oc or dc.. whatever...

Exactly.

Holy Spirit Grad & Ventnor native Greg Roman, who is a top candidate for the PSU job will join Mike Gill at 3:30 (12:30 PM PST) on the Sports Bash Tuesday.

http://twitter.com/#!/973espn/status/154042797530415104

http://973espn.com/listen-live/

I bet they ask him about PSU.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Here's the deal, NONE of those guys actually call plays. If you're an OC that simply assists with the gameplan but don't make any actual calls during the game, you're not exactly proving much to the rest of the world. If all of those guys actually called the plays and their teams were just as successful, you can be sure people would be beating down their doors to setup interviews.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Holy Spirit Grad & Ventnor native Greg Roman, who is a top candidate for the PSU job will join Mike Gill at 3:30 (12:30 PM PST) on the Sports Bash Tuesday.

http://twitter.com/#!/973espn/status/154042797530415104

http://973espn.com/listen-live/

I bet they ask him about PSU.

somebody has to tune into this today. I'll be on the road so keep us updated.
Share 49ersWebzone