LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

Greg Roman named as 49ers offensive coordinator

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I just read that David Carrs best season as a QB was in 2004 3,530 yards and a 83.5 rating---this was when Roman was the QB coach with the Texans.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Another guy whom coaches the Qb I love it.
I like the hire b/c its a guy who Harbaugh is familiar with and who knows his offense. The last thing we need is to hire someone who has conflicting ideas with the HC.

And anyways, Harbaugh will be calling the plays. He just needs guys like Roman to help him teach the offense and work the run game, etc..
Originally posted by Roxy:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Coaching Career

Year School/Team Assignment
1995 Carolina Panthers Defensive Quality Control/Strength & Conditioning Assistant
1996 Carolina Panthers Defensive Assistant
1997-98 Carolina Panthers Offensive Quality Control
1999-00 Carolina Panthers Offensive Assistant
2001 Carolina Panthers Assistant Offensive Line
2002-03 Houston Texans Tight Ends
2004-05 Houston Texans Quarterbacks
2006-07 Baltimore Ravens Assistant Offensive Line
2009 Stanford Tight Ends/Offensive Tackles/Running Game Coordinator
2010 Stanford Associate Head Coach/Assistant Head Coach Offense/Tight Ends/Offensive Tackles

Just playing devils advocate, you could also point out that he never seemed to take to one aspect of football and, as they say, a jack of all trades is a master of none. Don't most great offensive minds begin on offense and display so much proficiency that they ascend steadily and stay in that vein?

Being on the defense at one time might help him become a better OC. Walsh was a defensive coach at one time. It helped him knowing how to attack the D.
  • ZRF80
too much optimism............seems familiar....oh yeah, thats right....when Raye got the job, everyone went coo-coo over that hire as well.

I like the Harbaugh hire..........but basically, we've instilled 2 new guys on top (Baalke and Harbaugh), and now we're replacing our coaching ranks with coaches that ended up in the college ranks for a reason.

Very risky..........
Originally posted by ZRF80:
too much optimism............seems familiar....oh yeah, thats right....when Raye got the job, everyone went coo-coo over that hire as well.

I like the Harbaugh hire..........but basically, we've instilled 2 new guys on top (Baalke and Harbaugh), and now we're replacing our coaching ranks with coaches that ended up in the college ranks for a reason.

Very risky..........

i normally agree with you, but who pissed in your cereal? lol. be happy breh
  • gage
  • Veteran

Very risky..........

I don't remember everyone going "coo-coo" over the Raye hire. It seemed more like most of us were trying to justify it by looking for positives.
i can dig it!
So he is the man that will run the west coast offense?
Originally posted by gage:

Very risky..........

I don't remember everyone going "coo-coo" over the Raye hire. It seemed more like most of us were trying to justify it by looking for positives.

Yeah i don't remember anyone being happy over the Raye hiring... I sure wasn't.

Very risky..........

"Ones best success comes after their greatest disappointments." ~ Henry Ward Beecher

It's time to believe bro!
Let's go back for a second and look at other successful teams that seem to be at or near the top all the time. OK, who is OC for the Saints? Who is OC for the Pats? Who is OC for the Cowboys( that's a stretch as for teams that are up there). Well the answer to both questions is the HC. Both saints and NE have an OC, but who sets the game plan, who calls the plays? Right, it is Sean Payton and Bellichick. Why is that important? Because any decent or really good OC is going to get a call next yr as a HC elsewhere. Anybody remember a guy called NORV...who so desperately wanted to come here so....he could then move into a HC slot again next yr. And norv was the best we had since 2002. So, the reason for getting excited about our HC is that he will also be the OC, the QB coach, probably the OL coach, most likely the RB coach, and don't bet against him coaching WRs and TEs. In point of fact, OC and QB coach are needed, but the real coaching comes from where it should come...the HC, who is well versed in both, but also, well versed in anything or any position on this team, O or D.

Sound familiar? Well it should because the GOAT Coach in 49er land was Coach Walsh who literally coach any position on the field...DBs to QBs to OL to punting teams. And that's the way it should be...a Head Coach. That's why the rare ones stay good so long...they literally can coach any slot on the field. OC and QB coach are just there to help out. Believe it, Jim Harbaugh is going to be calling the shots all over the field. I know that applies to O, but i bet it applies to D also. And it should, because if one segment of the team is bad, he has to fix it or get fired. We have had a run of coaches since the Yorks appeared who depended, who needed others to fill in their horrific lack of knowledge about the game in general, and specific positions in particular.

Point is it doesn't matter any more here than it does in New Orleans who is OC. Harbaugh will set the game plan and call the plays. My guess is he ends up with a QB none of us know much about , altho short term , who knows. But whoever is the QB, be sure of this... he will be a harbaugh man, with great knowledge of game, wil be smart, quick witted, probably agile, and somewhat talented, but probably not greatly so. Whoever our Qb is will be a harbaugh product by yr end, and i expect him to end up playing well. Almost certainly he is not on this team at present. So forget about the OC...it is our HC. His deal,...his to win or get blamed. And i believe harbaugh is up to the job. Go 9ers.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Let's go back for a second and look at other successful teams that seem to be at or near the top all the time. OK, who is OC for the Saints? Who is OC for the Pats? Who is OC for the Cowboys( that's a stretch as for teams that are up there). Well the answer to both questions is the HC. Both saints and NE have an OC, but who sets the game plan, who calls the plays? Right, it is Sean Payton and Bellichick. Why is that important? Because any decent or really good OC is going to get a call next yr as a HC elsewhere. Anybody remember a guy called NORV...who so desperately wanted to come here so....he could then move into a HC slot again next yr. And norv was the best we had since 2002. So, the reason for getting excited about our HC is that he will also be the OC, the QB coach, probably the OL coach, most likely the RB coach, and don't bet against him coaching WRs and TEs. In point of fact, OC and QB coach are needed, but the real coaching comes from where it should come...the HC, who is well versed in both, but also, well versed in anything or any position on this team, O or D.

Sound familiar? Well it should because the GOAT Coach in 49er land was Coach Walsh who literally coach any position on the field...DBs to QBs to OL to punting teams. And that's the way it should be...a Head Coach. That's why the rare ones stay good so long...they literally can coach any slot on the field. OC and QB coach are just there to help out. Believe it, Jim Harbaugh is going to be calling the shots all over the field. I know that applies to O, but i bet it applies to D also. And it should, because if one segment of the team is bad, he has to fix it or get fired. We have had a run of coaches since the Yorks appeared who depended, who needed others to fill in their horrific lack of knowledge about the game in general, and specific positions in particular.

Point is it doesn't matter any more here than it does in New Orleans who is OC. Harbaugh will set the game plan and call the plays. My guess is he ends up with a QB none of us know much about , altho short term , who knows. But whoever is the QB, be sure of this... he will be a harbaugh man, with great knowledge of game, wil be smart, quick witted, probably agile, and somewhat talented, but probably not greatly so. Whoever our Qb is will be a harbaugh product by yr end, and i expect him to end up playing well. Almost certainly he is not on this team at present. So forget about the OC...it is our HC. His deal,...his to win or get blamed. And i believe harbaugh is up to the job. Go 9ers.

This!

Yeeeah baby!
Belicheck runs the D. I believe NEs OC is tom Brady
Greg Roman is not a big name, "flashy" coach, but this choice makes sense on several levels. Obviously this is a guy who Jim Harbaugh is comfortable working with and he trusts. Roman will be in charge of helping to install the offense with Harbaugh over-seeing the overall process, and making suggestions when necessary. Make no mistake about it, THIS IS HARBAUGH'S OFFENSE!! Think of Greg Roman as an extension of Jim Harbaugh.

I only have one concern about hiring Greg Roman. Maybe one of you guys could explain this to me? If Greg Roman was Harbaugh's "running game coordinator" at Stanford, How is that different from Tom Rathman's job as the 49ers' RB coach? How will they be able to work together?

Share 49ersWebzone