LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Matt Maiocco Chat Transcript: some interesting things.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Quote:
From Gabriel
What was the relationship like between 49ers assistants and Mike Singletary, especially after he restricted access to them?

Matt Maiocco
That was more of an issue in 2009. Everybody had a different opinion. Some didn't care, certainly. Others did not like it -- thought that it showed that Singletary had no trust in them. There's no doubt in my mind that that's a reason Singletary had difficulty keeping secrets among the coaching staff. The 49ers allowed media to talk to assistant coaches last season, as long as interviews were requested in advance.

Quote:
From Six-Ace-Deuce
A chance Eric Heitmann returns next season? Why get rid of a quality linemen on a struggling O-line?

Matt Maiocco
I suppose there's a chance, but I don't think the likelihood is strong. He's due a $300,000 bonus in the offseason, and I can't see the team paying that. He went on IR with a neck problem. The 49ers' first priority is to re-sign David Baas.

Quote:
From Mustangstud49
Matt, What was said behind the scenes by players/coaches about our former coach after he was fired. I read what people said like Vernon, But do you know what they really feel?

Matt Maiocco
I was speaking with an assistant coach the other day. I said, "Boy, I don't know how bad it was on the inside, but from the outside, it didn't look very good." His response, "You don't know the half of it. Someday I'll tell you some stories."

Quote:
From Rex
Matt, what's your best guess as to what happens with the following FAs: Franklin, Goldson, Lawson, Baas, Spikes

Matt Maiocco
Goldson will re-sign as an RFA. The 49ers re-sign Baas and Spikes. They keep Franklin with the franchise tag, and Lawson walks.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 13, 2011 at 9:08 PM ]
Last season was such a missed opportunity, it's frustrating. All we really needed was the right staff and who knows how far the team could've gone, now a lot of it is going to get blown up. Very disheartening how much Singletary and the fanbase (for buying into his '08 rants) set this team back.
SAY NO TO GOLDSON!

Unless he's a back up.
I hate to say this, but I feel like Matts new employer has put too many restraints on him. His answers come off far to matter-of-fact. There is no speculation or sizzle. I mean I get the whole "report just the facts" journalism angle, but for me it's too PC. It might as well be a 49er press release signed off by Jed York.

I'm sure most of you will disagree, but really its just my opinion.
I want to hear those stories
Lawson walks? damn it!!! JP all over again.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
SAY NO TO GOLDSON!

Unless he's a back up.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
SAY NO TO GOLDSON!

Unless he's a back up.

Seriously!
Originally posted by teeohh:

Originally posted by backontop:
Lawson walks? damn it!!! JP all over again.

J. Peterson in his prime > whenever Manny will reach his prime.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I hate to say this, but I feel like Matts new employer has put too many restraints on him. His answers come off far to matter-of-fact. There is no speculation or sizzle. I mean I get the whole "report just the facts" journalism angle, but for me it's too PC. It might as well be a 49er press release signed off by Jed York.

apparently you didn't read
[ Edited by WestCoast on Jan 14, 2011 at 2:21 AM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Actually, since he got this new job, I felt he's been a little more opinionated.

But I appreciate his and Barrows' "just the facts" approach. They're much more objective than the other reporters who follow the 49ers. Many of us scoffed when Maiocco predicted a 7-9(?) finish for us. He seems to have a very accurate understanding of the team.

When rumors fly around (like in Harbaugh's hiring process), I'll trust those two over anyone else. They have that credibility with me.
I want to hear the stories too. Do tell...
Share 49ersWebzone