LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Nate Byham As Our WCO Fullback?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
There has been some discussion about acquring a fullback for Jim Harbaugh's WCO. Our best choice may already be on the team. What about converting Nate Byham to fullback? He's 270 pounds, a great blocker, has decent hands and speed as a tight end, and played out of the backfield some last year as an H-back. Since our WCO fullback needs to be able to catch passes out of the backfield as well as block, I think he might be a good fit.

As other options, I really like Stanley Havili from USC as a versatile fullback, or maybe the kid from Stanford.
Owen Marecic FTW
What about Zak Keasy?
He'd be a good choice.. But why not "load the fricken gun up", and add another FB/weapon to the WCO arsenal.. Have him dable there and be the backup there as well, but why not draft or get a guy (Tolbert of SD ?).. and go kill 'em all with the vast array of weapons..
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
i could see Byham as fb. he'd probably be a damn good one if the Niners retain Rathman.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
He'd be a good choice.. But why not "load the fricken gun up", and add another FB/weapon to the WCO arsenal.. Have him dable there and be the backup there as well, but why not draft or get a guy (Tolbert of SD, Brian Leonard, Norwood of ATL., etc.) ?).. and go kill 'em all with the vast array of weapons..
  • titan
  • Veteran
I thought D. Walker would be ridiculous as a FB. Good Enough blocker, but a mismatch coming out off the back field.
Originally posted by titan:
I thought D. Walker would be ridiculous as a FB. Good Enough blocker, but a mismatch coming out off the back field.

Nah, in Harbaughs offense, we need as many TEs as possible.

In fact, even tho its possibly the strongest position on the team, don't be shocked if the Niners sign and/or draft 1 or 2 more of them.

I think the teams starting Fullback isn't on the roster yet. Yes, Byham is a big guy who can block, but he's not really nimble enough to find the hole and blast a LB.

We need a guy with Running Back instincts who can catch the ball. We need Tom Rathman, but I guess we'll have to settle for a draft pick COACHED by Tom Rathman. ;-)
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 12, 2011 at 9:24 AM ]
DLOVE!!!!!!
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Owen Marecic FTW

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Hopefully someone more athletic like a Leonard Weaver or Jason Snelling type.
He would be a great fit! The run-game was successful almost every time he was in at FB.

At 270lbs, I would not be surprised if Harbaugh tries to convert Byham to a Tackle position or Guard. That's unlikely because of his receving skills, but FB/TE would be perfect.
He's a great H-back, but we should look to add a speedier factor in a RB/FB hybrid like Stanley Havili. Ideally, I'd want a Larry Centers type of FB.

It's (RB/FB hybrids) becoming a strong trend in this league with the success we've seen in players such as Jacob Hester, Mike Tolbert, Brian Leonard, John Kuhn, LeRon McClain, Peyton Hillis (he started as a fullback), Ernest Graham, (even Michael Robinson to an extent) and many others.

I think a rotation of Byham and a guy like Havili would work tremendously.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:38 AM ]
I'd like to see them use Byham as a TE and as a FB. He would be a mismatch if used right and is a good blocker. It's all up to him if he wants to buy into this hype and become a great team player.
Isnt Leron McClain a Free Agent? He would be a great fit for the WCO.
Share 49ersWebzone