There are 168 users in the forums

John Becker Hired as Senior Personnel Advisor

Shop Find 49ers gear online
August 2nd, 2011:

MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco
49ers recently added John Becker, senior personnel advisor. He has 29 yrs of NFL experience, including with SB champs '99 Rams & '06 Colts.

John Becker

----
From January 2011:

It looks like the 49ers are still going to add that experienced football executive a lot of us were hoping for during the GM search:

Quote:
Here's what Comcast SportsNet has learned: Tom Gamble, director of pro personnel, will become the team's director of player personnel. Gamble has been in the NFL for 23 seasons, the past six with the 49ers. He has worked for nine playoff teams -- five with the Indianapolis Colts and four with the Philadelphia Eagles. After the promotion of Gamble, the 49ers plan to hire an experienced NFL executive to serve in a senior football advisor role.
LINK

Maybe they'll bring in one of the more experienced guys they interviewed, like Ted Sundquist. Doubt they can get Floyd Reese, since he already has that title with the Pats.

Right now I feel like the team is doing all the right things. I'm very optimistic.

[ Edited by NewEraNiner on Aug 2, 2011 at 08:08:56 ]
Is that exactly what it sounds like?

GM = Shops for the groceries (players)
HC = Prepares the meal
Players = Win

Advisor = ???

Does he have any explicit role? Or does he just kinda sit in the background and give his ideas from time to time?

In other words, the guy the GM/HC calls when they want to be like, "Does this idea sound good?"

[ Edited by Wubbie on Jan 8, 2011 at 10:03:36 ]
They are definitely getting all the correct pieces together. I thought Baalke was the right higher because of his eye for players in FA and the Draft. Just look at our FA
Westbrook, Laboy, Reed, Spillman, Troy Smith (Much better than Carr), and Ginn the second ranked PR in the league ATM.

Harbaugh I think was the best choice for Niners, well executed plan to pull him into the organization.

Experienced Football adviser to help with the GM parts that Baalke have not developed yet. The contacts through the league to operate transactions, trades, contracts.

Well done SF, maybe we are going to turn this around with little York.

[ Edited by Shorteous on Jan 8, 2011 at 10:05:23 ]
Originally posted by Shorteous:
They are definitely getting all the correct pieces together. I thought Baalke was the right higher because of his eye for players in FA and the Draft. Just look at our FA
Westbrook, Laboy, Reed, Spillman, Troy Smith (Much better than Carr), and Ginn the second ranked PR in the league ATM.

Harbaugh I think was the best choice for Niners, well executed plan to pull him into the organization.

Experienced Football adviser to help with the GM parts that Baalke have not developed yet. The contacts through the league to operate transactions, trades, contracts.

I'm thinking Jed is listening to his uncle exclusively these days.

Maybe Eddie can get an official role with the niners....

[ Edited by smithgdwg on Jan 8, 2011 at 10:07:12 ]
Originally posted by Wubbie:

HC = Prepares the meal
Players = Win

Advisor = ???

Does he have any explicit role? Or does he just kinda sit in the background and give his ideas from time to time?

In other words, the guy the GM/HC calls when they want to be like, "Does this idea sound good?"

Yeah I think you're right. I don't think this guy will be in a Holmgren/Parcells role. He'll be like Floyd Reese for the Pats: give advice about contracts/draft choices, etc.

[ Edited by NewEraNiner on Jan 8, 2011 at 10:07:09 ]

HC = Prepares the meal
Players = Win

Advisor = ???

Maybe advisor is the person that picks the type of dish to be cooked. haha. I think he'll pick the general direction of the team and help with contacts and formalities with the other teams. Such as this draft trade is not favoring us enough, maybe we should get an additional 6th for it.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Originally posted by Shorteous:

I'm thinking Jed is listening to his uncle exclusively these days.

Maybe Eddie can get an official role with the niners....

I think Uncle Eddie already does have an official role....advisor to nephew!

On a serious note...is he allowed by the league to have an official role??
I doubt his jack ass brother in law would allow it but would the league?
Originally posted by zeke04:
[

I know he's definitely not allowed to be an owner. But isn't his ban from the league imposed by the league rather than from John and Denise?

Contrary to popular belief, the NFL wants the 49ers to be a successful franchise. They are probably the most popular west coast franchise.

I don't know if Eddie wants to be heavily involved anymore though. He might just like his role of working behind the scenes, advising Jed.
An advisor could help keep track of the many NFL rules and procedures the teams need to meet. He could also work his contacts during the draft to find out if someone is blowing smoke, etc. Advisors have the freedome from decision making that allows them to be creative in their suggestions. Then Baalke and Harbaugh would need to weigh the possible up/down sides.

This would really make my week! Year? Fandom!
Like! Ted Ted Sundquist

I suprised this thread isn't more active. This is what people wanted to hear, but no responses. I guess everyone is still catching up on sleep from the Harbaugh saga.
Originally posted by zeke04:
[

I know he's definitely not allowed to be an owner. But isn't his ban from the league imposed by the league rather than from John and Denise?

Contrary to popular belief, the NFL wants the 49ers to be a successful franchise. They are probably the most popular west coast franchise.

I don't know if Eddie wants to be heavily involved anymore though. He might just like his role of working behind the scenes, advising Jed.

Technically, DeBartlo's suspension ended long ago, and he could be an owner again.. but the 31 owners would have to approve.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
I suprised this thread isn't more active. This is what people wanted to hear, but no responses. I guess everyone is still catching up on sleep from the Harbaugh saga.

Ha I think you're right. I know I'm a little fatigued. Still, it's a great time to be a 49er fan. We'll see if it translates onto the field (I'm optimistic), but for now this is the best we can get.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
An advisor could help keep track of the many NFL rules and procedures the teams need to meet. He could also work his contacts during the draft to find out if someone is blowing smoke, etc. Advisors have the freedome from decision making that allows them to be creative in their suggestions. Then Baalke and Harbaugh would need to weigh the possible up/down sides.

This would really make my week! Year? Fandom!

Agreed. This is just the person to add some legitimacy to the 49ers FO and to provide connections to other FOs around the league.
Hoping they look at a Floyd Reese or re-consider Lombardi for this position.
Share 49ersWebzone