There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

O-line

Guys, not sure if you all heard Baalke but he said they are going to look at Anthony Davis at OG, he even said he's talked to Davis and Davis is cool w/ trying it because the end goal is to get the best 5 on the field and Boone would man the right side at tackle.

This isn't far from reality, its actively being discussed within the team as noted by Trent Baalke in a very recent interview...unfortunately I don't recall if I heard it on KNBR or where but its certainly on 49ers.com
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Guys, not sure if you all heard Baalke but he said they are going to look at Anthony Davis at OG, he even said he's talked to Davis and Davis is cool w/ trying it because the end goal is to get the best 5 on the field and Boone would man the right side at tackle.

This isn't far from reality, its actively being discussed within the team as noted by Trent Baalke in a very recent interview...unfortunately I don't recall if I heard it on KNBR or where but its certainly on 49ers.com

Yeah, I read the article. It left the option open... wasn't at all convinced it would be heavily looked at. It's out there and rightly being considered. I'll remain hopeful, but it's not a must-happen thing for me.
Is there a chance right tackle Anthony Davis gets a shot at guard, and with Boone being ready to be a full-time tackle?

"We're looking at every option right now. The one thing that's fun to see is our guys are very unselfish. You talk to Anthony - some guys would refuse to make the move or would not want to make the move - our guys want to do what's best for the football team. We're going to look at all options and all scenarios in order to put the five best (linemen) on the field. ... I'm confident the coaches are going to find the right mix."



http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/5/1/2991314/trent-baalke-interview-49ers-gm-briefly-discusses-anthony-davis-and
Putting the best five out there is the goal and Davis at RG might allow that better than bringing in Kilgore or Looney at RG. The nice thing is that there are options and apparently Harbaugh and company are happy with them. Many argued for this in the past (including oldman and me) and many said you don't move a really good RT to RG. Both are sensible but only the coaches have real feel for this and having guys cross-trained is never a bad idea.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Putting the best five out there is the goal and Davis at RG might allow that better than bringing in Kilgore or Looney at RG. The nice thing is that there are options and apparently Harbaugh and company are happy with them. Many argued for this in the past (including oldman and me) and many said you don't move a really good RT to RG. Both are sensible but only the coaches have real feel for this and having guys cross-trained is never a bad idea.

.. and I honestly think Davis gets the love he does because he's (1)charismatic and (2)we traded up and drafted him so early. As for play on the field, he (IMHO) is a marginal RT that has poor lateral and COD skills. But... he would be a beast inside at RG. I think the coaches adore Boone and really want to get him on the field... RT is his best fit.

Anyway, I don't care about where Davis was drafted... I want what's best for the team..
Originally posted by oldman9er:
.. and I honestly think Davis gets the love he does because he's (1)charismatic and (2)we traded up and drafted him so early. As for play on the field, he (IMHO) is a marginal RT that has poor lateral and COD skills. But... he would be a beast inside at RG. I think the coaches adore Boone and really want to get him on the field... RT is his best fit.

Anyway, I don't care about where Davis was drafted... I want what's best for the team..


Agree with this and also recall that Boone was a very good college player who dropped due to personal issues that have been overcome...a great story! Also think this would help the inside run as much as pass protection...and really help Goodwin. Of course it is conjecture on my part but it's beginning to look like Harbaugh and folks are thinking the same way.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Staley --- Iupati --- Goodwin --- Davis --- Boone

FTW

I think we will see this, unless Kilgore really pops some eyes in camp. I have been a big supporter of Boone since we signed him, this could be his year.
I think they put Kilgore at RG
I know people don't want to see Davis moved, I was one of them. BUT.. If he's one of the best 5 which I believe he is. Then how do we get him on the field? Davis is better suited to play guard than Boone. Somehow we have to get Boone on the field and I believe tackle is his only option. Maybe Kilgore really is the answer and Boone remains a backup but I have a feeling that the coaches see him as a starter in this league. Gonna be interesting to watch this competition play out.
[ Edited by NinerG94 on May 3, 2012 at 8:19 AM ]
They didn't pick Looney for nothing. Give it a rest.

We have Kilgore and Looney now. Boone is perfect as a back up swing tackle. BACK UP. Davis has shown far more promise than Boone every has. He was 21 last year. The kid should dominate by 24ish. Boone had one good game against a guy that matches his strenght. The knock on him coming out of college (besides being a lush) was that he struggled with speed rushers. Lets see him against legit speed rushing competition before we go all gagga.
Davis is a starting OT. You don't mess with that once you find it. Boone is a backup.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Staley --- Iupati --- Goodwin --- Davis --- Boone

FTW

That is what I was thinking and I bet it would be a solid setup for sure.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,661
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Staley --- Iupati --- Goodwin --- Davis --- Boone

FTW


I like it but I also don't like it.

I like because it gives Boone a chance to start, I remember him actually being touted as a 2nd round pick so you know the talent is there and he did real well in Preseason. I was amazed he didn't get drafted because of his off-field issue, DUI I think.

I don't like it because Davis has been steadliy improving each game at R, pretty much growing up at RT. I hope he continues to grow there. And if we have Davis and Boone starting at the same time, who will be our swing tackle???
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Staley --- Iupati --- Goodwin --- Davis --- Boone

FTW


I like it but I also don't like it.

I like because it gives Boone a chance to start, I remember him actually being touted as a 2nd round pick so you know the talent is there and he did real well in Preseason. I was amazed he didn't get drafted because of his off-field issue, DUI I think.

I don't like it because Davis has been steadliy improving each game at R, pretty much growing up at RT. I hope he continues to grow there. And if we have Davis and Boone starting at the same time, who will be our swing tackle???

Davis can kick out to tackle in case of injury, then Kilgore can step in RG. This is assuming Kilgore is ready.
I thinke we keep what we have and won't go the FA route.

It is great to have the options we have.
...