There are 87 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

O-line

Okay, so over the last couple of years our offensive line has been built to be a power rushing o-line and now with the west coast offense returning home whom of our line fits and doesn't fit? I think the clock is ticking on Rachal. Theres no way Harbough puts up with his inconsistency the way Singletary did.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Okay, so over the last couple of years our offensive line has been built to be a power rushing o-line and now with the west coast offense returning home whom of our line fits and doesn't fit? I think the clock is ticking on Rachal. Theres no way Harbough puts up with his inconsistency the way Singletary did.

Harbough employs a run heavy type WCO, a run to set up the pass type of O. He likes big, athletic OL and our guys like Staley, Iupati, Baas and A.Davis all fit the bill quite nicely.

Harbough came to SF in large part due to the good fit. That's not just the geographical fit, the fact that he likes Baalke/York. The personnel fits what Harbaugh wants to do.

Our OL is made for coach JH (just needs to get rid of Chilo and get a new RG!)
Our playmakers Gore/VD/Crabs are made for the WCO
the fact that we have 2 big fast playmaking TEs is made for JHs WCO
the fact that JH is a run heavy WCO suites us bringing back Westbrooke which I like

JH ran a 3-4 D at Stanford and I believe SD also and our personnel obviously fits that.

I'm saying it now 9er faithful we've found our guy. This is a good fit because he knows we're close and what we need. I don't want to speak too soon but I think he's going to do it right and do the following:

Obtain a vet QB like Orton/McNabb etc
Draft a QB in either round 1 or 2 to develop behind the vet so we can win now and get a future franchise QB

Sign a big time FA either a passrusher or a CB then draft the other

Draft a diamond in the rough RG in round 3 or 4 that will start immediately over garbage Rachal

Retain the services of Spikes/Franklin so our stout run D can stay together. Convert Clements to Saftey where he belongs
Retain Westbrooke and finally share the backfield with Gore and not run him into the ground.

Commonsense I mean Jim Harbough has arrived my friends.
Very nice post, Matt.

Not sure about starting a late round RG rookie, though. You're absolutely right about needing a change at that position, but I'm guessing that (in the short term) that need will be addressed via free agency.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Very nice post, Matt.

Not sure about starting a late round RG rookie, though. You're absolutely right about needing a change at that position, but I'm guessing that (in the short term) that need will be addressed via free agency.

I'd relegate Rachal to his true position (3rd. guard). But NO MORE DRAFT PICKS AT OL.,.. Get the best FA you can find here, and plug him in.(Mankins, Dahl, Gallery, etc.).
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

Harbough employs a run heavy type WCO, a run to set up the pass type of O. He likes big, athletic OL and our guys like Staley, Iupati, Baas and A.Davis all fit the bill quite nicely.

Harbough came to SF in large part due to the good fit. That's not just the geographical fit, the fact that he likes Baalke/York. The personnel fits what Harbaugh wants to do.

Our OL is made for coach JH (just needs to get rid of Chilo and get a new RG!)
Our playmakers Gore/VD/Crabs are made for the WCO
the fact that we have 2 big fast playmaking TEs is made for JHs WCO
the fact that JH is a run heavy WCO suites us bringing back Westbrooke which I like

JH ran a 3-4 D at Stanford and I believe SD also and our personnel obviously fits that.

I'm saying it now 9er faithful we've found our guy. This is a good fit because he knows we're close and what we need. I don't want to speak too soon but I think he's going to do it right and do the following:

Obtain a vet QB like Orton/McNabb etc
Draft a QB in either round 1 or 2 to develop behind the vet so we can win now and get a future franchise QB

Sign a big time FA either a passrusher or a CB then draft the other

Draft a diamond in the rough RG in round 3 or 4 that will start immediately over garbage Rachal

Retain the services of Spikes/Franklin so our stout run D can stay together. Convert Clements to Saftey where he belongs
Retain Westbrooke and finally share the backfield with Gore and not run him into the ground.

Commonsense I mean Jim Harbough has arrived my friends.

Exactly what i think too matt. Draft a cb or de and whichever we do not draft get in fa. Also kolb mcnabb would be best bc they are both mobile and accurate. Clements could be the third cb or strong safety he is so good against the run.

We need a qb cb and de olb and we are set
I would pick up a verteran guard - that would make our OL a very good one
we're good to go.
Right side can use some work. A trade would be smart, the line needs a vet. There are a lot of disposable goods on this team.
[ Edited by 49Perspectives on May 3, 2012 at 7:20 PM ]
The best five are going to start. Kilgore, Boone, Person, Looney and Slowey are going to battle it out. I think we will be fine.

I highly doubt we are going to pick up anyone else.
Baalke / Harbaugh's draft and priority FAs tell the whole story. They think they have the talent on the roster.

Staley (Boone) Iupati (Looney) Goodwin (Slowly/Person) Kilgore (Looney) Davis (Boone/Person)

I think we keep 9 Oline. It is, after all probably our team weakness right now.
Staley --- Iupati --- Goodwin --- Davis --- Boone

FTW
Originally posted by oldman9er:

FTW

I agree oldman. This would seem the strongest lineup at present. Moving Davis to guard would give him a veteran in Goodwin next to him. Boone is one up on Kilgore in that Boone has shown during the regular season that he can play. Kilgore has shown promise but only in pre-season games. The biggest problem with this arrangement is that it leaves the Niners thin at backup tackle. Davis would then become the backup should injury befall Boone or Staley, creating at least two changes to the line. However, there's little to suggest that Harbaugh is inclined to go this route.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

FTW

I agree oldman. This would seem the strongest lineup at present. Moving Davis to guard would give him a veteran in Goodwin next to him. Boone is one up on Kilgore in that Boone has shown during the regular season that he can play. Kilgore has shown promise but only in pre-season games. The biggest problem with this arrangement is that it leaves the Niners thin at backup tackle. Davis would then become the backup should injury befall Boone or Staley, creating at least two changes to the line. However, there's little to suggest that Harbaugh is inclined to go this route.

Already thought about this. Solution =

I think Boone is at a place now that if injury occurred to Staley, he could shift from RT to LT and do just fine. If Boone fell to injury, then Davis kicks back out and Kilgore or Looney would fill in at RG.

It isn't ideal, but nothing ever is when you lose a starter.
^ could have worded that better, but I think you get what I'm saying. In case of injury to either Staley or Boone, Davis would kick over to RT and then one of our younglings step in at RG.
[ Edited by oldman9er on May 3, 2012 at 6:10 AM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home