There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

West Coast Offense comin back home. Will Crabtree thrive?

just thought I would bring this up...
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:

just thought I would bring this up...

The only thing holding Crabtree back from being a pro-bowl reciever is his time missed in the off-season.
Crab is going to learn having a relationship with your QB is important when he sees Smith looking for Edwards first and probably trying to force balls in to Edwards all the time or going to Vernon, Josh then looking for him. Once his foot is healed will be interesting to see if he takes extra reps with Smith or just does the minimum.

Crab was a horrible route runner in college part of the reason is that it wasn't important in the WCO is about precision and timing. Look at video of Walsh going postal on Dwight Clark or listen to Montana story talking about how if he (his back pedal) or a WR was off 6 inches or behnd by 2 tenths of a second making his cut Walsh would light the guy up for his sloppiness.

Crab doesn't want to be with the Niners he grew up here in Dallas he is here a lot in the offseason (I think he lives here don't know for sure) and his dream has always been to play for the Cowboys. Jerry has publically state how much he likes Crab and is close to his family. He will play out his contract and come to Jerry world as fast as he can.
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
Crab is going to learn having a relationship with your QB is important when he sees Smith looking for Edwards first and probably trying to force balls in to Edwards all the time or going to Vernon, Josh then looking for him. Once his foot is healed will be interesting to see if he takes extra reps with Smith or just does the minimum.

Crab was a horrible route runner in college part of the reason is that it wasn't important in the WCO is about precision and timing. Look at video of Walsh going postal on Dwight Clark or listen to Montana story talking about how if he (his back pedal) or a WR was off 6 inches or behnd by 2 tenths of a second making his cut Walsh would light the guy up for his sloppiness.

Crab doesn't want to be with the Niners he grew up here in Dallas he is here a lot in the offseason (I think he lives here don't know for sure) and his dream has always been to play for the Cowboys. Jerry has publically state how much he likes Crab and is close to his family. He will play out his contract and come to Jerry world as fast as he can.

lots of our guys grew up cowboys fans but they signed extensions here. im pretty sure willis was anyway and VD was a skins fan. crabtree hasnt played in preseasons because of various reasons but if the guy is hurt theres really not much he can do. and crabtree's route running was never a problem, thats how he got separation in college because he isnt really a burner. who says jerry jones even wants him? they have Dez and Austin and im sure they have others. i think he stays here once he sees what harbaughs offense can do. id be a little frustrated too if my QB didnt have time to find me because he was getting hit so much.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

lots of our guys grew up cowboys fans but they signed extensions here. im pretty sure willis was anyway and VD was a skins fan. crabtree hasnt played in preseasons because of various reasons but if the guy is hurt theres really not much he can do. and crabtree's route running was never a problem, thats how he got separation in college because he isnt really a burner. who says jerry jones even wants him? they have Dez and Austin and im sure they have others. i think he stays here once he sees what harbaughs offense can do. id be a little frustrated too if my QB didnt have time to find me because he was getting hit so much.

And gore spends all his offseason in Miami and he wants to be here for life
Crabtree wont live up to being picked #10 overall if he doesn't start getting some TC and preseasons in, IMO. And no, im not just meaning TC as in hitting the books and meetings i mean getting on the field and practicing.
The only way Crabtree will thrive is when he puts in the work with his QB's and sadly, he's never done that. Smith got roasted for throwing an INT during Crabtree's first game after the holdout. Only there was one thing that was very obvious during the play. Smith, getting criticism for not throwing to a spot on time, did what he was told. He threw to Crabtree's area. The ball went out fast, right to the spot, no Crabtree. He cut his route, fell down and got up in time to tackle to guy who intercepted the ball.

I'm not sure how Crabs not wanting to be a Niner has anything to do with what happened this year. You don't go out and break or re-break your foot to get out of working out during camp or preseason. However complex the guy's head is, tough. They can do fine without him and if he continues to be a problem, trade him for another 7th round draft pick. There's too much good about the team to be dragged down by the likes of Crabtree.

They can work him in to the offense when he comes back, or they can put him on the bench. All we've seen during preseason is vanilla plays, with the occassional long absent slant play. What they really trot out for the Seachicken game might be a lot more fun than we've seen to date.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

My impression is that Crabs doesn't want to be a Niner. I understand if you grow up in Dallas, SF, DC where ever being a fan of that cities teams. He has never come out and said I am a Niner this is my team I want to win with this team its I am doing this for my teammates. He acts like he has been sentenced to Siberia instead of getting paid a lot of money he has not earned yet and playing in one of the greatest cities in the world. When Crabs contract comes due is about the time Dez and Austins will be due so that could be some interesting timing. I already stated that in college his route running was not a big deal but in the WCO timing and precision are crucial and Crab is not a good route runner. What irritates me the guy was a monster in college he took over games (Texas vs Tech) and made Harrell look a whole lot better a QB than he was. Ever since coming to the Niners it has been one thing after another with alleged injuries, cheap shot comments about his QB, his attitude of indiffrence.
Mike Leach wrote a book about his coaching days after he was fired from Texas Tech. In it he mentions being able to motivate different players in a manner that fits them. He used Crabtree as an example. He said Crabtree wouldn't really respond to motivation the same way that many of the player did, and he would have to take a different tack, but when he got Crabtree motivated, it was incredible.
He said he had to be careful because when Crabtree was hungry, he could destroy the defensive player in practice, just absolutely destroy his confidence to the point Leach couldn't rely on the corner anymore.
Unfortunately Leach didn't say how he got Crabtree excited to work.
Assuming Edwards does well and there's no off the field issues, and Crabtrees attitude/work ethic doesn't change drastically, I would trade him for a 2nd rounder, use it to draft another WR and throw a bunch of cash at Braylon.

In a heartbeat.

We have two potential #1 receivers with chips on their shoulders which may not be a good thing...............................unless the team is winning.

Why is WR such a drama-laden position.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Sep 4, 2011 at 10:14 PM ]
before we start talking about him 'THRIVING" lets just see if this cat can get out there and practice
Originally posted by Allx9er:
before we start talking about him 'THRIVING" lets just see if this cat can get out there and practice

I think he is practicing now..
I believe Crabtree will thrive. It may take him a little while to get comfortable but I'm confident he will be a huge asset to this team.
Originally posted by Vasco49er:
I believe Crabtree will thrive. It may take him a little while to get comfortable but I'm confident he will be a huge asset to this team.

he will thrive as soon as he attends a full TC and preseason

if you look at crabtrees stats they always start of slow and then once he dusts of the rust and has played for a while with his qb then he does well
Originally posted by Allx9er: