LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 236 users in the forums

West Coast Offense comin back home. Will Crabtree thrive?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
crab will thrive, its an offense built for big bodied, yet shifty receivers. one of crabtrees best attributes was his ability to run clean routes (once he learns them) thats how he gets separation. the WCO is all about routes and timing. screens, sweeps, quick slants etc. crabs will be just fine. Crabs and Braylon are gonna be very hard to play against, especially with Vernon, Frank and Josh/Delanie/Ginn on the field at the same time. thats a lot of people for a defense to worry about. i have a feeling a lot of our guys are gonna have great years this year if our O-Line can keep smith on his feet
He certainly should. To be honest though I'm having my doubts if he'll ever be great. Great players take care of their bodies and work hard in the offseason. He is talented and well liked but I just don't see a guy who is "ready to go". Timing will be a bigger issue in this offense and he is once again not out there working on it.
Crabs will definitely get more passes thrown his way this season, I trust Harbaugh will find ways to get him the ball and into the end zone more often this season
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
just pointing out that Crabs does have a lot of ownership to attain for, and i have yet to hear him speak on his mistakes, and on ways he can get better, or even say, *yeah and me and whomever the Qb is, we have to build that rapport that turns that avg. Qb and WR, into the great or even good duos in the league"

i still think he can be something, but i just have yet to really see how hungry he is. i have yet to hear yeah Crabs is staying extra late with whomever, to work on things, staying with the coaches, doing tons of extra film study. the one thing i heard this offseason is that he was getting balls thrown at him by college guys i think, when he should of been at any of the player run camps.

I just feel that as much as we talk about the Qb spot, we also have to talk about, have we really seen Crabs wanting to be the best WR in the building. and this is a show me, not tell me league, he doesnt really talk the talk, so is he actually gonna walk the walk. just my two cents.
Good overall post... it got me immediately remembering back to this... ( the year where he had several + )

Crabtree: What drops?

Has Michael Crabtree dropped any passes in recent games? I guess it depends on who you ask. Crabtree, for instance, didn't seem to recall any passes he could have possibly hauled in when I asked him about recent drops today.
MC: Drops?
Me: You don't think you've had any drops?
MC: What are you talking about?
Me: Balls you could have caught.
MC: No. If they were on the sideline or something, or too high or something. I never, ever ... Have you ever seen me deal with drops in my college career?

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2009/12/crabtree-what-d.html#ixzz1UjGhe1Or
Crabtree is irrelevant right now. I'm not looking forward to his contract year. Got a feeling he won't be able to get ou of SF fast enough.
Don't see it. Not only is his work ethic lacking (funny how that foot injury always flairs up before training camp, and gets better once training camp is over). His hands haven't been very good lately. Despite my hatred of Alex Smith, even I can admit that there were at least 2 passes that were perfectly thrown balls that hit Crabtree int he hands, only to end up as INT's. He is not displaying much quickness, which may be the reason he has not been getting seperation. I get the feeling he doesn't want to be here. When his contract is up, i'd be the house he is out of here. That doesn't bother me because I don't see him ever being a superstar in this league. If he worked hard, he could be a solid possession receiver. Don't see it happening though.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Good overall post... it got me immediately remembering back to this... ( the year where he had several + )

Has Michael Crabtree dropped any passes in recent games? I guess it depends on who you ask. Crabtree, for instance, didn't seem to recall any passes he could have possibly hauled in when I asked him about recent drops today.
MC: No. If they were on the sideline or something, or too high or something. I never, ever ... Have you ever seen me deal with drops in my college career?

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2009/12/crabtree-what-d.html#ixzz1UjGhe1Or

What a douche.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
You guys think Crabs will thrive now that the West Coast Offense is retuning home? (Oh ya, we still need a QB)

Hey Pat, i gotta ask brotha, whats up with the everytime u make a thread, the we still need a QB bit. I mean you are a vet, and u post some pretty good stuff(sometimes when your more open and not so obtuse), but at the same time, you seem to have no optimism for any QB it seems. Now if you are just talkin about Smith, then so be it, but say that, cuz i think besides Smitty, we do have Kaep waiting in the wings to also show what he can do. And to be honest, with crabs lets be brutally honest, was it more Smith or crabs. in my opinion it was 50-50.

Some things that Smith or any other QB on our team during his time here, had no hand in and was all Crabs

1. missing almost 3 straight seasons of the entire pre-season.
2. When Smith was the QB, he had his worst qb rating only with him, and if im not mistaken it was both Smith's, Troy and Alex
3. The Goat invited him numerous times to help work on his craft, and nothing.
4. it has been duly noted since he's been here that at times he and the QB just hasnt been on the same page, and regardless of who ur QB is, you should have a rapport with your No 1 receiver.
5. The Goat called him out again, and said he needs to get in there, and work and gel with his teammates, and build that bond with the QB.
and
6. Some feel that Edwards words on building a bond with the QB is just blowing smoke (which is hilarious), but this is his first year here, and im hearing things from his mouth, that ive never heard Crabs say one time since being here.

So honestly not taking up for Smith, not even taking up for Crabs, just pointing out that Crabs does have a lot of ownership to attain for, and i have yet to hear him speak on his mistakes, and on ways he can get better, or even say, *yeah and me and whomever the Qb is, we have to build that rapport that turns that avg. Qb and WR, into the great or even good duos in the league"

i still think he can be something, but i just have yet to really see how hungry he is. i have yet to hear yeah Crabs is staying extra late with whomever, to work on things, staying with the coaches, doing tons of extra film study. the one thing i heard this offseason is that he was getting balls thrown at him by college guys i think, when he should of been at any of the player run camps.

I just feel that as much as we talk about the Qb spot, we also have to talk about, have we really seen Crabs wanting to be the best WR in the building. and this is a show me, not tell me league, he doesnt really talk the talk, so is he actually gonna walk the walk. just my two cents.

Yes, He will thrive....as soon as Kap starts playing!!

BTW...why are people so disgusted w/Crab? This is only his 3rd year people and he has been forced to play w/arguably the worst starting Qb in the league!
Coach said it himself, our receivers are bored and that's bc we have a check down king for a qb. I am very interested how long the support of Braylon remains for Alex. VD loves Alex bc he'll only throw to TE's and RBs.
just pointing out that Crabs does have a lot of ownership to attain for, and i have yet to hear him speak on his mistakes, and on ways he can get better, or even say, *yeah and me and whomever the Qb is, we have to build that rapport that turns that avg. Qb and WR, into the great or even good duos in the league"

This last part of the conversation, just happened to be left out...

MC: It was designed to be a back-of-the-end-zone catch. I came out of my break and the ball was already thrown. So, miscommunication.
Me: Were you ducking because of the ball or because there was a defensive back?
MC: I didn't know what was going on. As soon as I turned around, the ball was behind me and dude was about to hit me. So I was like, 'Man, I can't go out like that.'"
^ what's your point? That to add to the early entry, Crabtree was clueless and a pu$$y to boot?

FYI, it's frowned upon to quote entire articles on forums.

Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

This last part of the conversation, just happened to be left out...

MC: It was designed to be a back-of-the-end-zone catch. I came out of my break and the ball was already thrown. So, miscommunication.
Me: Were you ducking because of the ball or because there was a defensive back?
MC: I didn't know what was going on. As soon as I turned around, the ball was behind me and dude was about to hit me. So I was like, 'Man, I can't go out like that.'"

The word miscommunication only says one thing, "It wasn't my fault". Somebody excuted and somebody didn't. The person who didn't just needs to own up.
^ what's your point? That to add to the early entry, Crabtree was clueless and a pu$$y to boot?

FYI, it's frowned upon to quote entire articles on forums.

My point was that he explained the reason for not being able to catch some of the passes, something you failed to point out. He clearly stated that there was some miscommunication, but according to you hes "clueless and a p***y"
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
My point was that he explained the reason for not being able to catch some of the passes, something you failed to point out. He clearly stated that there was some miscommunication, but according to you hes "clueless and a p***y"

Yep. Clueless because he doesn't prepare well, so he doesn't know where to be on designed routes. A pu$$y because he all but said he won't go for a pass if there's a chance he could get hit.

( I know it's fun to categorize people in hate groups, but I actually don't hate Crabtree. I was so happy when we drafted him. I still think he can be quite good. I just want him to be accountable for his lack of route precision and hands that are not beyond reproach )

... and that endzone pass, he's full of sh*t about. He completely pu$$ed out on it.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
crab will thrive, its an offense built for big bodied, yet shifty receivers. one of crabtrees best attributes was his ability to run clean routes (once he learns them) thats how he gets separation. the WCO is all about routes and timing. screens, sweeps, quick slants etc. crabs will be just fine. Crabs and Braylon are gonna be very hard to play against, especially with Vernon, Frank and Josh/Delanie/Ginn on the field at the same time. thats a lot of people for a defense to worry about. i have a feeling a lot of our guys are gonna have great years this year if our O-Line can keep smith on his feet

Not just that but when Kaepernick is starting team will have to account for his legs as well. Teams will go nuts trying to stop all that Im gonna cheese my ass off in Madden this year
Originally posted by Atl49er:
Yes, He will thrive....as soon as Kap starts playing!!

BTW...why are people so disgusted w/Crab? This is only his 3rd year people and he has been forced to play w/arguably the worst starting Qb in the league!
Coach said it himself, our receivers are bored and that's bc we have a check down king for a qb. I am very interested how long the support of Braylon remains for Alex. VD loves Alex bc he'll only throw to TE's and RBs.

There are many qb's that are worse than Smith, why do you guys that dislike him always resort to hyperbole? It makes you look ignorant when you do this, not only that, but it takes away from the validity of legitimate gripes you might put forth about him.
Share 49ersWebzone