There are 250 users in the forums

All this talk about HC...who will be our QB??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
nvm i remember a stipulation on free agency is at least one draft. my bad
  • dj43
Originally posted by B650:
If it means anything, this is what Maiocco has to say about it...

Who will play quarterback?
It will not be Alex Smith. Just think of it in these terms: He started more games than any other quarterback for two coaches who got fired. Why would Harbaugh want to bring him back and teach him a system he hasn't played since his rookie season? Also, Smith realizes that his time here is over. Every time he throws an incomplete pass, he can be expected to get booed. Why would Smith want to come back? He will not be back. Because of the league's labor situation, there might not be any player movement until there is a new collective bargaining agreement. The 49ers will undoubtedly sign and/or trade for a quarterback who has experience in the system. They can also be expected to invest a draft pick in a quarterback.

Read more: 49ers Q&A: Front office changes ahead
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story.

From http://www.csnbayarea.com/01/08/11/49ers-QA-Front-office-changes-ahead/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=387402&feedID=5936.

He is both re-stating stuff we have hashed over ad nauseam as well as pointing out that Alex may not be able to leave the team if CBA negotiations drag out into the summer. Given the abysmal choices of UFA QBs available and the fact that no player trades will be allowed until the new CBA, it is entirely possible that he may be the only option. So while I do not believe he has interest in returning, if time gets short between the new CBA and the beginning of league season, he may wind up being the best option.

[ Edited by dj43 on Jan 8, 2011 at 11:05:17 ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mr2324jgf:
curious here.... Andrew Luck decided to not join the draft right? Does that mean he's 100% committed to Stanford or could he pull a fast one and get a contract with the 49ers directly? I'm not even on this bandwagon but it'd be a interesting story

He didn't go back to Stanford to try to get Harbaugh to stay he went back to graduate and hang out with his friends, he gets to enjoy college one more year. Family seems to have money so doesn't have to rush in.
The WCO system is very complicated and takes years to perfect as a qb. A rookie qb will struggle greatly just learning the WCO playbook. Add to that, the speed of the NFL is 10 times that of college, which makes playing so much more difficult. In the WCO, making quick progressions is a must! Anybody who thinks a rookie qb is gonna come in and run the WCO like we remember it is gonna be sorely disapointed.

We must get a vet FA that has experience in the WCO for the 1st 2 years while a qb be take in the 1st can sit and learn. Think about it, Steve Young sat for years learning the WCO and the beloved Rodgers (on this board) sat for years behind Bret. Then maybe in year 3 we are off to the playoffs, that is if the qb we take pans out (not a sure thing).
I think that no matter who is playing QB, we might have a tough year or two just transitioning to the WCO. We do not have a viable QB and there aren't many viable options via free agency.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I think that no matter who is playing QB, we might have a tough year or two just transitioning to the WCO. We do not have a viable QB and there aren't many viable options via free agency.
We agree.

Not only do we not have a QB that is WCO ready, we don't have any receivers that are ready either.

I hope Harbaugh is the miracle worker we all would like but reality says that unless he is the guy that can walk on water, he isn't going to solve all the problems in a year. This team has some talented players to coach up but it also has some significant holes where the players just do not exist.
Originally posted by dj43:
We agree.

Not only do we not have a QB that is WCO ready, we don't have any receivers that are ready either.

I hope Harbaugh is the miracle worker we all would like but reality says that unless he is the guy that can walk on water, he isn't going to solve all the problems in a year. This team has some talented players to coach up but it also has some significant holes where the players just do not exist.

I think our recievers are ready for the WCO. Crabtree doesn't worry about having to run deep go routes since he isn't a burner. He can work that short and 15 yards range all day. He still has to improve his routes. Morgan sucks IMO, but is good in YAC. Davis isn't really a great route runner, but if you saw the Orange Bowl, you'll see how Harbaugh uses the TEs in the deep passing game, where VD excells. Plus, Gore can catch the ball extremely well, and so can Wesbtrook, who I hope we resign.

Now all we need is the QB and our O-Line to mature. A speedy, shifty reciever would help a ton. Maybe Santana Moss in free agency?
Well out of all those QB that could be a canaidate I would probly hope D. McNabb or T. Edwards lands a SF roster spot. D. McNabb does his best when he has a go to running back in both running and passing, and with him here we might get lucky enough to keep B. Westbrook for another season or two as our back up. I know we dont have the W.R. death that McNabb might be used to, but if there is one thing that are W.R. core can do and that is the short and Med. routes and that would be the most ideal for McNabb and his inconsistency in completions. I know McNabb isnt an ideal long time replacement but where we are at we can only move up in the QB food chain.
T. Edwards has a history with our new coach maybe he can revive this mans career. If I had it my way, which we all do on Madden 2011, I would like to see a great draft pick at this spot and have a QB that we can rely on in good games and finally worry about other issues that need to be addressed then our QB position.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by dj43:
We agree.

I think our recievers are ready for the WCO. Crabtree doesn't worry about having to run deep go routes since he isn't a burner. He can work that short and 15 yards range all day. He still has to improve his routes. Morgan sucks IMO, but is good in YAC. Davis isn't really a great route runner, but if you saw the Orange Bowl, you'll see how Harbaugh uses the TEs in the deep passing game, where VD excells. Plus, Gore can catch the ball extremely well, and so can Wesbtrook, who I hope we resign.

Now all we need is the QB and our O-Line to mature. A speedy, shifty reciever would help a ton. Maybe Santana Moss in free agency?

Crabtree is plenty fast, his problem is sloppy route running. Morgan is better than many here give him credit for. Blocking will still be a premium for wr's, as it has always been for the WCO.
Here's a scary scenerio that I just thought of.

The CBA doesn't get resolved prior to the draft so teams cannot sing FAs or make trades

49ers have no idea who they can get, who will be on the market and are forced to draft a QB high even if it's not necessarily the guy JH wanted.

I hope this wouldn't go down this way but think about it if we had only D.Carr on the roster in April and the team had zero clue who they could get as a veteran QB it may force our hand.

Does anyone know if teams are allowed to discuss trades during a potential work stoppage? This would help alot as we could gauge the market for Kolb/Orton

i just say we go the easy route and sign Peyton Manning. Shouldn't be too hard right?
curious here.... Andrew Luck decided to not join the draft right? Does that mean he's 100% committed to Stanford or could he pull a fast one and get a contract with the 49ers directly? I'm not even on this bandwagon but it'd be a interesting story

It's my understanding that he actually has until January 15th to declare for the draft. So, in theory he could change his mind.
I just thought of something. Since Harbaugh learned so much from Walsh, one thing Walsh warned against was drafting a QB too high.

So, I'm guessing they get a vet QB and draft in the 2nd or 3rd round for a QB. Let's hope.

noobs.

Seriously, the best case scenario is that Stanford and Luck stumble badly next year, and Luck drops to a late first round pick, where the Niner's grab him. Not likely, but not impossible, like the "pulling a fast one and signing directly" fantasy you ask about.
Originally posted by rk1642:
The WCO system is very complicated and takes years to perfect as a qb. A rookie qb will struggle greatly just learning the WCO playbook. Add to that, the speed of the NFL is 10 times that of college, which makes playing so much more difficult. In the WCO, making quick progressions is a must! Anybody who thinks a rookie qb is gonna come in and run the WCO like we remember it is gonna be sorely disapointed.

We must get a vet FA that has experience in the WCO for the 1st 2 years while a qb be take in the 1st can sit and learn. Think about it, Steve Young sat for years learning the WCO and the beloved Rodgers (on this board) sat for years behind Bret. Then maybe in year 3 we are off to the playoffs, that is if the qb we take pans out (not a sure thing).

So, you ruling out Nate Davis next year then?
Share 49ersWebzone