LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 313 users in the forums

All this talk about HC...who will be our QB??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
get Newton or Mallett this year if possible otherwise get a one or two year QB like McNabb or Palmer and hope Luck slips next year and Harbaugh can draft him. Honestly if it were my way I'd say hope next year we can get Luck and this year we get a CB or Pass rusher in the first round.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by dj43:
Please stop with the Alex Smith talk. It is not in his best interest to resign here and not in the 49ers best interest to resign him. He has been here to long and needs a fresh start with a new team and we need to bring in new QBs. If the CBA gets fixed i would like to trade for Josh Johnson. You could get him for a low draft pick, he has experience starting in the NFL and he has a history with Jim Harbaugh. I don't think he would be our QB of the future but could be a starter while our draft pick learns.

He is an interesting prospect. The problem is that the team really needs someone who is capable of starting next fall. Johnson has only attempted 141 passes in his career. He doesn't have the experience to be the guy the team will need in the fall.

He has had NFL starts, played for Harbaugh and has been learning behind Josh Freeman and we can get him cheap. not going to find that combo anywhere else.
He started 4 games in 2009. While that makes him better than a completely raw rookie, it is not very reassuring.
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
I'm really starting to like stanzi for our new offense!

Maybe but a rookie will struggle. I don't know about next year. A longer term development project would make more sense.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
I'm really starting to like stanzi for our new offense!

Maybe but a rookie will struggle. I don't know about next year. A longer term development project would make more sense.

Perhaps, I think a west coast offense is the only kind he would fit in. Maybe even have allot of success. If we had any other kind of offense I wouldn't like him. Westcoast offense is his game!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Please stop with the Alex Smith talk. It is not in his best interest to resign here and not in the 49ers best interest to resign him. He has been here to long and needs a fresh start with a new team and we need to bring in new QBs. If the CBA gets fixed i would like to trade for Josh Johnson. You could get him for a low draft pick, he has experience starting in the NFL and he has a history with Jim Harbaugh. I don't think he would be our QB of the future but could be a starter while our draft pick learns.

He is an interesting prospect. The problem is that the team really needs someone who is capable of starting next fall. Johnson has only attempted 141 passes in his career. He doesn't have the experience to be the guy the team will need in the fall.

He has had NFL starts, played for Harbaugh and has been learning behind Josh Freeman and we can get him cheap. not going to find that combo anywhere else.
He started 4 games in 2009. While that makes him better than a completely raw rookie, it is not very reassuring.

He has played in 7 this year and is 14-16 in limited action. Matt Schaub was 0-2 with a 52% completion with 6 Tds and 6 ints in Atlanta as a back up.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
get Newton or Mallett this year if possible otherwise get a one or two year QB like McNabb or Palmer and hope Luck slips next year and Harbaugh can draft him. Honestly if it were my way I'd say hope next year we can get Luck and this year we get a CB or Pass rusher in the first round.

I don't know if Harbaugh would want a guy like Newton. He'd probably want a guy like Mallett or Gabbert. Personally, I think Newton would be a good NFL QB with the right team.
Frankly, i don't think it matters who harbaugh finally decides upon, and no, i would not like cam newton. Big guy, good runner(in college...but in the pros, he will get creamed running the Auburn shuffle along the LOS). Good passer, but way too young, and is going to be a very talented college player who somebody overbids on. It won't be us.

The beauty of the harbaugh hire is that he can take his'n and beat your'n and then take your'n and beat his'n. Whoever it is that harbaugh decides on is going to be one lucky dude, in that he will have a superb QB and OC coach in harbaugh. I think harbaugh has the ability to take a very mediocre qB and coach him up to the upper echelon on nfl QBs. Now, if that qb has great attributes to start with, then that is even better. I wonder how he would do with Vince Young? or even alex, for that matter.
I can't see the Niners trading draft picks for a backup QB from another team. The draft need is too great at other positions (OLB, NT, CB, QB, maybe RB) and it's unclear who will be available as FAs to fill those positions.

In another thread, MadDog guessed that the Niners would pick up Dennis Dixon in free agency this offseason, and the more I think about it, the more that move makes sense.
IMO I like the Dixon move, but he is coming off an injury. We really need 3 quarterbacks, b/c Carr is going to be cut. So I say we bring in Dixon. Trade for Sage Rosenfels. Rosenfels isn't bad, he just never got a shot in Minnesota. Thirdly we draft somebody, maybe Stanzi, maybe we luck into Gabbert falling to us. Have Dixon/Rosenfels compete for the starting job and let the rook sit for a year and develop. If not Gabbert, then there's Stanzi or Devlin. I like Devlin, but i'm not sure if he's taylor made for the WCO. If anyone has broken down his game, what do you think does he fit?
  • dj43
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Frankly, i don't think it matters who harbaugh finally decides upon, and no, i would not like cam newton. Big guy, good runner(in college...but in the pros, he will get creamed running the Auburn shuffle along the LOS). Good passer, but way too young, and is going to be a very talented college player who somebody overbids on. It won't be us.

The beauty of the harbaugh hire is that he can take his'n and beat your'n and then take your'n and beat his'n. Whoever it is that harbaugh decides on is going to be one lucky dude, in that he will have a superb QB and OC coach in harbaugh. I think harbaugh has the ability to take a very mediocre qB and coach him up to the upper echelon on nfl QBs. Now, if that qb has great attributes to start with, then that is even better. I wonder how he would do with Vince Young? or even alex, for that matter.
I believe you are correct about Harbaugh's ability to teach, however, we should not get too carried away. Let's "sleep on it" and see how we feel come September. Setting goals that are unrealistically high are only a path to disappointment.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Its so tempting to ask for one more year for alex, as a backup at least just because of the confidence that harbaugh brings to the table. Idk, I'm interested to see it, but not if it conflicts with this team moving forward so that is that.

He gets an opportunity, doesn't disappoint, great.

If I'm just getting too happy, get rid of him so I can move forward
with harbaugh and this organization.

[ Edited by rEspEctdA49ers on Jan 8, 2011 at 09:15:26 ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
I can't see the Niners trading draft picks for a backup QB from another team. The draft need is too great at other positions (OLB, NT, CB, QB, maybe RB) and it's unclear who will be available as FAs to fill those positions.

In another thread, MadDog guessed that the Niners would pick up Dennis Dixon in free agency this offseason, and the more I think about it, the more that move makes sense.
I couldn't agree more with the bolded. While the QB need has occupied the most attention, the need for a pass rushing OLB (assuming continuing 3-4) is just a shade behind the QB need. The 49ers lost two big games this season as a direct result of not being able to rush the passer. So while we can point to certain failures of the QB position as reasons for losses, the lack of a pass rush is just as responsible for losses.

Secondary play will get better with a pass rush, and CB and NT remain needs but this thread is about QB so I'll leave it there.
  • B650
  • Veteran
If it means anything, this is what Maiocco has to say about it...

Who will play quarterback?
It will not be Alex Smith. Just think of it in these terms: He started more games than any other quarterback for two coaches who got fired. Why would Harbaugh want to bring him back and teach him a system he hasn't played since his rookie season? Also, Smith realizes that his time here is over. Every time he throws an incomplete pass, he can be expected to get booed. Why would Smith want to come back? He will not be back. Because of the league's labor situation, there might not be any player movement until there is a new collective bargaining agreement. The 49ers will undoubtedly sign and/or trade for a quarterback who has experience in the system. They can also be expected to invest a draft pick in a quarterback.

Read more: 49ers Q&A: Front office changes ahead
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story.

From http://www.csnbayarea.com/01/08/11/49ers-QA-Front-office-changes-ahead/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=387402&feedID=5936.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

oh hell no
curious here.... Andrew Luck decided to not join the draft right? Does that mean he's 100% committed to Stanford or could he pull a fast one and get a contract with the 49ers directly? I'm not even on this bandwagon but it'd be a interesting story
Share 49ersWebzone