There are 303 users in the forums

Lowell Cohn on Baalke's hiring.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
IMHO Baalke´s draft has been better than Scott Mc Cloughan´s drafts.
Iupati
Davis
Mays
Bowman
Dixon

All have more or less played to expectations.

He also was not afraid to make a move in FA, see Westbrook, who besides Spikes has been the best FA pickup we had.

If Baalke brings in a good coach ( Harbaugh, Billick), a good QB, a solid backup QB ( really having Carr as a backup does not help), a CB i´ll have no problem with him.

I agree. And David Carr was one of Scot McCloughan's last signings. Troy Smith was one of Baalke's. Seems Baalke understands more than Scot did.

Also agree with the idea that if we waited much longer to sign a GM we would be behind in the coaching search. And if Jed had hired a coach first, the media and a lot of crying fans would be ripping him apart. He can't win either way with you guys. We all know (or anyone who actually reads knows) that Jed contacted Eddie, Tuna, and someone in the Pats (i know one of you can name him) for advice. The Tuna knows Baalke (actually brought him on his staff years ago) and surely vouched for the guy.

To me, this the right path. Are there more prominent names out there...sure. But at what cost would we have to give up to get them? Waiting for them is the first cost....costing us a coach that we all want. All just to interview some people who may not even want to come here.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FiatGlory:

You're the one who compared Jed to Eddie D. However, it should be noted that Jed has been in very close contact with his Uncle throughout this process. I'm not saying it's a good hire or a bad hire - we won't know for a couple years at best.

No actually modninerfan brought up Eddie...it's a common bit of wishful thinking when today's homers like to think about the Niners.

To answer your question, Eddie D actually usurped some of Walsh's powers at one point and took them over himself. So, Eddie D. was by no means a hands-off kind of guy. In contrast, it is not my impression that Jed stops anyone in his organization from running the team or coaching the players...

Really? When? Give some specifics since you seem to be speaking from a position of 49ers grand historian.
Cohn, with the exception of his view on the Giants this year(he praised them from July onward) is like Ray Ratto he's very negative and pessimistic towards the niners or any Bay Area team. As a matter of fact on Chronicle Live today he said he doesn't believe the niners can land Harbaugh.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Quote:
In addition, he already has reached out to the Raiders’ Hue Jackson as a head-coach candidate. This is known. He apparently reached out before he chose Baalke, which means he is choosing the coach and the new general manager isn’t. Jed needs to get his story straight.

This guy is a tool. Is he from the "Opinions" section of the PD??? Huey is sadly just the Rooney rule compliance, for him to not mention this in his clear hate mongering article just shows he has no intention of talking truth at all. That he is only interested in creating problems and getting his own name out there on the news "Cohn calls out owner Jed in fiery piece of journalism". Don't give me that crap, "opinion" journalism is why I hate the news industry.

[ Edited by sfout on Jan 4, 2011 at 23:54:42 ]
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by endz0ne:
Unfortunately, Baalke rhymes with Donahue...

screwed by the Yorkies again.

Continuity of loosing is not what we want.

What is "loosing?"

Once again, genius goes unappreciated. I think the "continuity of loosing" describes very accurately the seemingly endless cycle of unbridled misdirection that's plagued our clubs front office. Thank you endz0ne, for giving us BASED CONTINUITY OF LOOSING You're gonna want to copyright that chestnut, EZ; just to ensure these mafuggers don't try and gank your sh@t before you write the book

Ho's on his d*ck, cuz he looks like Jesus...

.....or maybe he's just another dude who spells lose with 2 o's; I've been wrong before.
Originally posted by kray28:

To answer your question, Eddie D actually usurped some of Walsh's powers at one point and took them over himself. So, Eddie D. was by no means a hands-off kind of guy. In contrast, it is not my impression that Jed stops anyone in his organization from running the team or coaching the players...

Really? When? Give some specifics since you seem to be speaking from a position of 49ers grand historian.

For a guy who's spouting off a bunch of incorrect information, you probably shouldn't be too quick to get bent out of shape asking for specifics and calling names.

I don't have the specific dates, but based on NUMEROUS interviews I have heard with both Bill Walsh and Eddie D., at some point Eddie D. took GM powers from Walsh and distributed them within the organization because it was too much for one person to handle In fact, on a recent interview on KNBR, Eddie D. stated that it was himself, Walsh, McVay, and Carmen Policy who ran the organization - i.e., he made active decisions in the management of the team.

Also, there was more than one occasion when Eddie Debartolo seriously contemplated firing Walsh. Obviously, it was a good thing that he didn't.

My responses are not meant as some show of support for the job the Yorks have done since taking over the team. However, this isn't a hiring that screams disaster like it was during the coaching search that produced Dennis Erickson - we all need to wait this one out long enough to have some information to judge it on.

edit: fixed the quote

[ Edited by FiatGlory on Jan 5, 2011 at 00:01:22 ]
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I don't even feel that I have to read it to know what he's going to say.

Am I right... or am I right?

You are right. I don't even bother reading the links to him anymore. You know it's gonna be nothing but sensationalizing whatever he can.
Whatever. I used to constantly read articles dissing the Niners during the Walsh/Debartalo era. This guy must've taken over that column. I'm pretty sure I've never read a positive article by him regarding the Niners.

Fact is, Baalke + Harbaugh is great. Hiring some established GM in 3 weeks + random HC is terrible.
Lowell Cohn gives no insights in his article. It is probable that the charade of a league-wide GM search was driven by the Rooney rule.

Judging by this article, Cohn doesn't know anything I don't know. I cannot tell if he even knows Trent Baalke or Jed York.

The consensus on the 2010 draft is that the niners had a very good draft. Vernon Davis and Patrick Willis signed extensions. Maybe that had something to do with Baalke's promotion.

But Cohn has nothing to say about Baalke's performance. Maybe that's because he doesn't know anything, so all he can do is trash the promotion without giving any facts.

Baalke's first draft looked good on paper at first, but now stands as merely okay.

They might be active on the roster....whoo, big win, but there is not one standout star among them.

I pretty much agree, although really it takes more than one year for some players to develop, but yeah. Not exactly a banner year, a big bowl of OK.

Iupati was a good pick. The rest? I'd have to say the Jury is still out on most all of them, and a 6-10 record is not exactly reflective of successful draft choices when you have a bunch of them starting. Granted, bad coaching came into play, but Iupati played well overall. Adams didn't see much action and then got hurt, Bowman and Mays couldn't keep themselves on the field and sat much of the year, Dixon didn't see much action - 70 total carries for a few hundred yards but that's a gore thing partly, A Davis - not a good rookie season overall. Too many penalties and allowed sacks.

This years draft will define the next few years with this team.

Eddie brought in Carmen Policy to trickle out some of Walsh's responsibilities.
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
We'll see how Baalke does. Get Harbaugh....

Cosigned. If he can bring us Harbaugh I dont care that Jed lied. Sometimes you have to be sneaky and quick to get what you want.
  • mod
  • Veteran

You're the one who compared Jed to Eddie D. However, it should be noted that Jed has been in very close contact with his Uncle throughout this process. I'm not saying it's a good hire or a bad hire - we won't know for a couple years at best.

No actually modninerfan brought up Eddie...it's a common bit of wishful thinking when today's homers like to think about the Niners.

What? lol, I just said he spoke to him about Trent... your the one who started yappin about how Eddie D signed checks
Cohn is spot on.

Jethro lied through his teeth, probably from beginning to the very end. How do we know what he is saying now is true. I mean he stood at a podium and lied right to the faces of the Bay Area media, wow.

If he has some kind of secret deal with Harbaugh in collusion with Baalke why not just keep his mouth shut and say something like; We will wait a while and make an announcement. In the mean time we are trying to do what's best for the Niners. Why not something like that.. instead of lying to us, media and the nation..

What an owner, crap....
Once again Lowell Cohn is 100% correct. The absolute best writer in the Bay Area. He is a star.

Jed lied straight to your faces. The GM search was a dog and pony show. He knew what he was going to do all the time. He lied to the fans, the media and the players. Plus the HC search appears to be a lie. "The GM will make the HC decision." LOL. It sounds like they already have decided on the HC. And they haven't had a "GM" long enough to interview and conduct due diligence. Jed is deciding everything. GM, HC and everything else. That alone should be enough to disturb any 49ers fan. Even if the HC is the right guy it should give you a lot of pause that Jed lied and is still making all the decisions despite being way over his head.
Share 49ersWebzone