There are 163 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lowell Cohn on Baalke's hiring.

Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by kray28:
So let me guess: you guys would be riding Jed's nuts right now if he picked Lombardi. Why don't you go take a look at his track record? He's never been a GM before either and he spent many years working for Al Davis. Not exactly what I would consider a well run organization! Why is he more credentialed to run a sports franchise than Baalke?

I think I can answer this one for you guys. Lombardi's a flashy name because he writes articles for NFL.com and is a TV personality. Am I right?

I thought Jed said he was going to take his time and interview real qualified candidates, that's what he said he'd do. Not this little lame charade where he picked Baalke a priori and then did a couple of token interviews with his mind made up.

There's this thing called integrity in business, and Jed fails at it with this pathetically lame little game.

He interviewed I think 5 candidates (no less than 4) most of whom had been GM's before (and were currently not employed by the NFL. I think one of the Matt's also reported that he had phone interviews with several league employed execs. I'm going to try and find a link.

You can choose to believe that this all was just a charrade to hire Baalke but it's more likely that Baalke was a strong candidate but he was doing his due diligence to make sure there was no one better suited for the job. I just have one question for you: what benefit would Jed get from trying to create a sham GM search and going to great lengths to do so just so he could fool the fan base?

I agree!! I don't like his article because he failed to mention how York called several people around the league, and in fact if I remember Parcells was a huge fan of him, as Im sure a lot of people were.
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by endz0ne:
Unfortunately, Baalke rhymes with Donahue...

screwed by the Yorkies again.

Continuity of loosing is not what we want.

wow! you're not even close.

Donahue wouldn't leave SoCal most of the time during the season and pretty much never during the offseason.

Baalke has done more in the last 6 months than Donahue ever did in his entire tenure with the organization.

Maybe you were not awake 10 years ago when it all went down or maybe I was high and I am wrong but wasn't Donahue hand picked by Bill Walsh? Don't blame the Yorks for that mistake, it was Bill's one and only mistake that I can name at this time. It's just to bad it was his last decision for the 9ers.

Not trying to tarnish Bill. He was the mastermind to our dynasty...just one blunder on an otherwise excellent record.

[ Edited by brucesf49 on Jan 4, 2011 at 23:15:19 ]
If I wasn't on an iPhone I'd respond down below lol...

But other than hiring a coach and now a GM, I havent once seen a moment where he's meddled with the team, he has always let Nolan, sing, Scott mc, and Trent do their thing.

Originally posted by modninerfan:
Jed strikes me as unprepared to lead or to make key decisions for this franchise, and it ultimately trickles down to the playing field itself. If he's the owner's son, that's life I suppose, but any role he plays as Team President is joke level. He didn't earn that job, and it shows in countless blunders he's already committed.

I don't know if Baalke's the right guy, and most of you who think Harbaugh is the magical savior don't know the same about Harbaugh either.

I just know that Baalke has never been a GM for any NFL franchise, let alone a winning one, and Jed Silver Spoon didn't bother interviewing a single GM candidate from a winner.

How are you supposed to earn the job as team president, he is the owners son! He inherits this team. At least he shows more passion than his father. All I'm going to say is that Jed York, Eddie D, and Bill Parcells know a helluva lot more than we do about Trent baalke.

You seem to have an issue with jeds upperclass lifestyle... I don't know if it's jealousy or ignorance but get over it.

Do you even know how to formulate a cogent argument?

Your entire post is a giant appeal to authority.

Eddie owned the team. He didn't play "Team President". He paid the bills, gtfoutta the way and let guys like McVay and Walsh run the team.
Be nice if Lombardi could take Baalke's old VP Player Personnel job
If Baalke delivers Harbaugh then Jed is doing what the majority of fans wanted him to do 6 weeks ago. So far Baalke has delivered 6 players in the draft that are not only active on the roster but look to contribute for years to come. Add what nobody is talking about in a great trade for Ginn who WILL be more of a factor and you have a guy in Baalke who has already broken the mold of the past. Funny, Jed holds onto Sing too long and says nothing about Alex Smith and he is too kind, all of a sudden now he is this cut throat lier. Look if he delivers Harbaugh and keeps Baalke then I don't care what methods he used nor do I care what he told the media, espn, or any other network for that matter..
So let me guess: you guys would be riding Jed's nuts right now if he picked Lombardi. Why don't you go take a look at his track record? He's never been a GM before either and he spent many years working for Al Davis. Not exactly what I would consider a well run organization! Why is he more credentialed to run a sports franchise than Baalke?

I think I can answer this one for you guys. Lombardi's a flashy name because he writes articles for NFL.com and is a TV personality. Am I right?

I thought Jed said he was going to take his time and interview real qualified candidates, that's what he said he'd do. Not this little lame charade where he picked Baalke a priori and then did a couple of token interviews with his mind made up.

There's this thing called integrity in business, and Jed fails at it with this pathetically lame little game.

You don't know who he interviewed.

If by waiting he had missed the best HC candidate that presumably would have satisfied you.
IMHO Baalke´s draft has been better than Scott Mc Cloughan´s drafts.
Iupati
Davis
Mays
Bowman
Dixon

All have more or less played to expectations.

He also was not afraid to make a move in FA, see Westbrook, who besides Spikes has been the best FA pickup we had.

If Baalke brings in a good coach ( Harbaugh, Billick), a good QB, a solid backup QB ( really having Carr as a backup does not help), a CB i´ll have no problem with him.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I don't even feel that I have to read it to know what he's going to say.

Am I right... or am I right?

Yes, dont even know why I bothered clicking the link. Same s**t, different article.
Jed strikes me as unprepared to lead or to make key decisions for this franchise, and it ultimately trickles down to the playing field itself. If he's the owner's son, that's life I suppose, but any role he plays as Team President is joke level. He didn't earn that job, and it shows in countless blunders he's already committed.

I don't know if Baalke's the right guy, and most of you who think Harbaugh is the magical savior don't know the same about Harbaugh either.

I just know that Baalke has never been a GM for any NFL franchise, let alone a winning one, and Jed Silver Spoon didn't bother interviewing a single GM candidate from a winner.

How are you supposed to earn the job as team president, he is the owners son! He inherits this team. At least he shows more passion than his father. All I'm going to say is that Jed York, Eddie D, and Bill Parcells know a helluva lot more than we do about Trent baalke.

You seem to have an issue with jeds upperclass lifestyle... I don't know if it's jealousy or ignorance but get over it.

Eddie owned the team. He didn't play "Team President". He paid the bills, gtfoutta the way and let guys like McVay and Walsh run the team.

Actually, Eddie D's dad bought the team. The situation was not that different than it is today. In fact, for the first couple years of his ownership he made dreadful decisions regarding the management of the team. It can hardly be said that Eddie D "gtf outta the way," as he was very closely involved in the team from day to day.
What he said

Originally posted by FiatGlory:

Actually, Eddie D's dad bought the team. The situation was not that different than it is today. In fact, for the first couple years of his ownership he made dreadful decisions regarding the management of the team. It can hardly be said that Eddie D "gtf outta the way," as he was very closely involved in the team from day to day.
what's up with all of the cohn articles? i always think it's titled linda cohn
Originally posted by PMOE24:
If Baalke delivers Harbaugh then Jed is doing what the majority of fans wanted him to do 6 weeks ago. So far Baalke has delivered 6 players in the draft that are not only active on the roster but look to contribute for years to come. Add what nobody is talking about in a great trade for Ginn who WILL be more of a factor and you have a guy in Baalke who has already broken the mold of the past. Funny, Jed holds onto Sing too long and says nothing about Alex Smith and he is too kind, all of a sudden now he is this cut throat lier. Look if he delivers Harbaugh and keeps Baalke then I don't care what methods he used nor do I care what he told the media, espn, or any other network for that matter..

Baalke's first draft looked good on paper at first, but now stands as merely okay. They might be active on the roster....whoo, big win, but there is not one standout star among them. Davis was a disaster if you look at his performance on its' merits Iupati was passable, Dixon was average, Mays too early to tell, Bowman looks serviceable but average.

Ginn was an utter disappointment and I have little hope for more from him.
I am going to trust Jed on this hiring. Jed has talked to his Uncle many a time---and Jed wants the Niners to be successful---he knows Baalke. So for this once I will trust Jed knows what he is doing.

We will find out soon enough regardless.

The first two years were bad....things changed after he brought in both Walsh and McVay.

Eddie let McVay run the team and Walsh coach the players....true or false? Jed getting compared to Eddie at this point is funny regardless. He's done nothing to warrant it.

The first two years were bad....things changed after he brought in both Walsh and McVay.

Eddie let McVay run the team and Walsh coach the players....true or false? Jed getting compared to Eddie at this point is funny regardless. He's done nothing to warrant it.

You're the one who compared Jed to Eddie D. However, it should be noted that Jed has been in very close contact with his Uncle throughout this process. I'm not saying it's a good hire or a bad hire - we won't know for a couple years at best.

To answer your question, Eddie D actually usurped some of Walsh's powers at one point and took them over himself. So, Eddie D. was by no means a hands-off kind of guy. In contrast, it is not my impression that Jed stops anyone in his organization from running the team or coaching the players...