LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 312 users in the forums

Baalke is the OFFICIAL GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Baalke gets Niners G.M. gig
Posted by Mike Florio on January 4, 2011, 9:17 PM EST

Despite a late push from NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi (there were rumors that he met again today with owner Jed York), the 49ers have decided to promote Trent Baalke from the position of V.P. of player personnel to General Manager.

The move was first reported by David White of the San Francisco Chronicle, and it was confirmed by Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com.
cant wait till thursday if they make the annoucment of both gm and coach
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

Despite a late push from NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi (there were rumors that he met again today with owner Jed York), the 49ers have decided to promote Trent Baalke from the position of V.P. of player personnel to General Manager.

The move was first reported by David White of the San Francisco Chronicle, and it was confirmed by Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com.

That's official enough for me...

Originally posted by philosoraptor:
well jed hired his yes man...... big suprise....

He didn't hire Lombardi. Lombardi was a "yes man" for Al Davis for 8 years.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by ninertico:
boy lombardi was correct after all regarding our gm search. jed got called out so he had to pull garbage gm interviews after the 48hr timetable lombardi had originally have said.

Way to reach!

You guys kill me...

Especially when Lombardi was called back and was the one who met in person. If it was a garbage interview, why did he participate in the garbage?

Yea, right?

So GM, I am really interested in you POV of Baalke given his tenure here and his last nine months as Director of Player Personnel.
As long as they bring in someone who is been around for Baalke's old job, Im all for it. To many people being negative around here. We dont know how Baalke will do, just like we wouldnt know how any other option would do. Just give it time and lets see what happens in the future.

Go Niners!!!!!
Well i'm slightly dissapointed. Lombardi would have brough Harbaugh definitely. Baalke i'm not too sure about. I'll be honest to me it is 75 percent about the Head Coach and if Harbaugh/Baalke is the combo i'll damn well take it.

Anybody that thinks that Baalke did a piss poor job with his draft/FA this past year is flat out a York Hater. Look past your hater blinders and look what he brought to the team. We needed an O-line, we drafted 2 in the first round; we needed a lightning to Gore's thunder, he got Westbrook; we had no Punt/Kick personnel, we trade for Ginn(one of the fastest guys in the league) and also draft a good young fast returner in Williams; we needed some pash rush off the edge, he brought in LaBoy.

He has brought in talent at key positions. He knows what he is doing. While i'm dissapointed that York didn't step outside the organization i can't say that Baalke isn't qualified.
Just in case some of you didn't hear:

timkawakami Tim Kawakami
Source: Harbaugh has told 49ers he’d be OK with either Baalke or Lombardi as GM: Quickly, because things are hap... http://bit.ly/ggfMpo
It appears with all of his public statements, Lombardi talked himself out of the job. It is also likely he wanted more than Jed was willing to give. Baalke seems capable. We shall see.
  • RKab
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
boy lombardi was correct after all regarding our gm search. jed got called out so he had to pull garbage gm interviews after the 48hr timetable lombardi had originally have said.

Way to reach!

You guys kill me...

Maybe people are confusing Mike Lombardi with Vince Lombardi?

I haven't been enamored with anyone they brought in to interview so perhaps Baalke is the best of the weak class they brought in.

And Lombardi would be rather clueless to not accept a lesser position with the club.

It sounds like the only reason people were behind him because he was friendly with Harbaugh and worked under Walsh at some point long ago. While I appreciate the importance of bringing in a good coach - I really really really want a GM who knows player personnel and the draft inside and out.

I don't get the impression that Harbaugh will be a wall-flower type when it comes to personnel decisions. But I'd really like to see some other experienced NFL people brought into the front office.

Originally posted by kidash:

That's official enough for me...

here's the rest of the article

The move comes after York interviewed a smattering of candidates with no current NFL affiliation. He did not interview any persons currently employed by any NFL teams, and he did not wait for any candidates from playoff teams to become available.

And so the suspicion has been confirmed that York attempted to create the impression that he performed due diligence in hiring a G.M., even if York really didn’t.

Next up? Hiring a head coach. It remains to be seen whether the decision to go with Baalke means that Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh remains in play. There has been suspicion and speculation that Baalke and Harbaugh won’t mesh well, and that Harbaugh and Lombardi would have been a much better fit.

[ Edited by Negrodamus on Jan 4, 2011 at 18:27:55 ]
Originally posted by RKab:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

Way to reach!

You guys kill me...

Maybe people are confusing Mike Lombardi with Vince Lombardi?

I haven't been enamored with anyone they brought in to interview so perhaps Baalke is the best of the weak class they brought in.

And Lombardi would be rather clueless to not accept a lesser position with the club.

It sounds like the only reason people were behind him because he was friendly with Harbaugh and worked under Walsh at some point long ago. While I appreciate the importance of bringing in a good coach - I really really really want a GM who knows player personnel and the draft inside and out.

I don't get the impression that Harbaugh will be a wall-flower type when it comes to personnel decisions. But I'd really like to see some other experienced NFL people brought into the front office.

Well, the one good thing I have heard constantly repeated about Baalke is that he lives his work. He spends nights at the facilities and on top of everything.
I'm going to remain positive about this move because its a big difference when you're "acting" as the GM with no real power to being told you are the GM and now go get'r done.

So go get'r done with the following folks on my wish list (no particular order)

Harbaugh
Gruden
Morningweg
Fisher
Bilick (my favourite choice)
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
RT@timkawakami Source: 49ers asked Mike Lombardi if he'd take a personnel position under Baalke, and Lombardi said he would not.

It should have been vice versa.
  • dj43
RT@timkawakami Source: 49ers asked Mike Lombardi if he'd take a personnel position under Baalke, and Lombardi said he would not.

Jed got that one upside down. Lombardi is much better qualified for the league-wide issues a GM has to deal with. Baalke would have been the logical choice of personnel.

I'm not impressed but I'll withhold final judgement until I see results.
Share 49ersWebzone