There are 277 users in the forums

New Coach Preference

Shop Find 49ers gear online

New Coach Preference

Originally posted by Travisty13:
I picked West Coast offense, and 4-3 D. Harbaugh runs a WCO and he's who I want as HC. As for the 4-3, I believe our team has been building for a 3-4 for years, and it still isn't successful. We are made of of 4-3 players. Unless we can get a successful 3-4 DC in here, (ex.Wade Phillips). I just see us being smarter to go back to the 4-3.

Our defense is not the Steelers, or the Ravens D, but it's still a damn good D. This year and last year, was the best defense that we've had in a long time. People obviously forgot how atrocious out defense was before we installed the 3-4.

We have very little personnel for a 4-3. Who are our great edge rushers? Lawson??? Haralson??? LaBoy?!?!?...Sopoaga is NOT a 4-3 tackle, 4-3 DT's are supposed to get some penetration and disrupt plays in the backfield, does that sound like Sopoaga? or Franklin?...JSmith has never played full time 4-3 DT, and I doubt at this point in his career he's going to want to learn a new system. Besides Spencer, we don't have ONE good cover DB, and you need good cover DB's in a 4-3.

4-3 defense is old fashioned. The only 4-3 D worth a s**t in this league, is the Vikings, however, we don't have two true DT studs like they do, or a great DE. Jets, Steelers, Ravens, Chargers, this is what you think of when you talk about great defenses, and soon we can start throwing the Pats, Packers, and Chiefs into that mix...3-4 > 4-3.
I guess 3-4 still the preferred D so far.
Originally posted by MrCrab49ers:
If you are the new GM, what style would you want your new coach to implement given your talent right now?

Those aren't enough options.
Originally posted by MrCrab49ers:
Originally posted by kidash:
Why does everyone think that by switching back to a WC offense, that this team will thrive?

This has become a passing league. The curent NFL rules favor the passing offense. Why not exploit that. The 49ers Vernon and Crabtree already, just need a smart and effecient QB and an strategy/innovative coach. So, why run when the NFL wants you to pass.

Since when is a Coryell Offense not a passing offense?
I could see 49ers running the same offense as Stanford if Harbough is hired.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
One that wins. A lot.

This.

Although I'm partial to a passing offense after the run happy philosophy of Sing/Raye.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
One that wins. A lot.
I chose west coast defense 3-4 and as for the offense the west coast offense needs to return I'm pretty tired of all the running plays that were done this year. Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree need to be utilized more next year by I hope Jim Harbaugh.
After watching Stanford destroy VA Tech last night, I'm more in Harbaugh's corner. Even though his Cardinals have the reputation as a passing team, they actually run @ 60% of the time. Passing 40% of the time sounds a bit low, but it's what you do with the passing attack that matters...and attack is the right word. Harbaugh's offense attacks the opposition...they are aggressive...and as they showed last night, when they get the edge on their opponent, they keep the hammer down. Love that killer instinct. We haven't had that kind of offense in a long, long time. As many NFL analyst has remarked, the Niners have some very good skill position players...the problem's been getting them the ball on any kind of consistent basis. The solution for that is a head coach who understands modern offenses, and a QB. In my ideal world, the Niners hire Harbaugh, Luck then decides to come out for the draft, Baalke finds a way to trade up and get him. That may sound far-fetched, but maybe not. A fallback position would be to acquire a vet QB, like Orton, to hold the fort down 'til a younger QB is ready. Denver would be willing to let him go, given they've turned to Tebow now.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
a coach that knows what hes doing

• dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
I picked West Coast offense, and 4-3 D. Harbaugh runs a WCO and he's who I want as HC. As for the 4-3, I believe our team has been building for a 3-4 for years, and it still isn't successful. We are made of of 4-3 players. Unless we can get a successful 3-4 DC in here, (ex.Wade Phillips). I just see us being smarter to go back to the 4-3.

Our defense is not the Steelers, or the Ravens D, but it's still a damn good D. This year and last year, was the best defense that we've had in a long time. People obviously forgot how atrocious out defense was before we installed the 3-4.

We have very little personnel for a 4-3. Who are our great edge rushers? Lawson??? Haralson??? LaBoy?!?!?...Sopoaga is NOT a 4-3 tackle, 4-3 DT's are supposed to get some penetration and disrupt plays in the backfield, does that sound like Sopoaga? or Franklin?...JSmith has never played full time 4-3 DT, and I doubt at this point in his career he's going to want to learn a new system. Besides Spencer, we don't have ONE good cover DB, and you need good cover DB's in a 4-3.

4-3 defense is old fashioned. The only 4-3 D worth a s**t in this league, is the Vikings, however, we don't have two true DT studs like they do, or a great DE. Jets, Steelers, Ravens, Chargers, this is what you think of when you talk about great defenses, and soon we can start throwing the Pats, Packers, and Chiefs into that mix...3-4 > 4-3.

Our defense is horrible.. what are u talking about. We need a good DC Ron rivera
Good poll.
I will take the WCO with a 3-4 D... CAnt tell we dont have enough footage on how to properly run the WCO. If i had my pick 4 D it would be Butler (Steelers LB coach). COme install D.lebeau's D.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

um what the hell about the Giants nasty 4-3 Defense in 08?
where's the Big Nickel defense???
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
2-5-4
Share 49ersWebzone