There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

One QB and Coach away

Originally posted by nooj:
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm tired of hearing people (and media) say that this team is full of talent. Or that this team has enough talent to compete for a Superbowl.

There's so many holes on this team, I don't know where to begin. We are not just one QB and coach away.

No one ever proclaimed that we were Minnesota, just needing a QB. However we are a good QB and coach away from the playoffs. That is all anyone (realistically) has been saying. We have enough to basically be the Seattle Seahawks of the last decade (minus the SuperBowl appearance). What's frustrating is knowing how easy it is to win the west, and we haven't even been able to pull that off.
With Carr being the only QB signed for next year, do you think he will get consideration as the veteran starting QB while a rookie sits and learns or are they going to get a FA to try and win now while the team is still relatively young?
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by MrCrab49ers:
Originally posted by vaden:
Its frustrating. The 49ers are just as talented as those teams that made the playoffs. 49ers have enough talent on offense, defense and special teams to be one of the elite teams. Just need a veteran QB like McNabb or Kolb and a offensive minded coach to make it all come together.

lol, McNabb and Kolb had worse seasons than Smith on better teams, in better situations under vastly superior coaches.

Jed also thinks we're just a coach and QB away, and that's why we're screwed. He doesn't see that this team has far worse problems than Alex Smith. We went 6-10 against one of the easiest schedules in the league. The OL is dreadful, Gore is on the decline, our best WR is a diva who gives up on plays and has terrible hands that needlessly tips balls to the defense. The D is mediocre at best, and ranked 27th in the NFL, last in the NFC, in takeaways. This doesn't start at QB and it doesn't stop at Singletary. It goes to the top of the front office, to our horrible ownership that purged Mooch for Dennis Erickson.

Alex Smith will go elsewhere to a far better situation, we'll get a better coach and a worse QB while hoping our #1 pick pans out, but little or nothing will be done to fix the systemic problems in this organization or plug the many holes on personnel.

I've been a Smith supporter since he got drafted and I gave him some slack. But this year was no excuse. The OC was kept, he was healthy throughout minicamps and been in the league for 5 years. He is no rookie. But he just doesn't have it between the ears, he's vision is mediocre, he last little leadership, he doesn't demand control and definitely still doesn't know how to win. I've had it. I saw and tape every game he played and he just look awful and lost at times. At least Troy Smith made things happen and won some games. Smith has the tools, but not the skills and demeanor yet to be a starting QB.

This years offensive line was total garbage, that and the coordinator was trash. Troy played well against the s**tty teams, but was a complete bust when he had to face a powerhouse like the Bucs. If you think Troy is the better of the Smiths, man you need to educate yourself. Honestly neither of them are impressive, but Alex is the better QB.

Alex Smith couldn't win with iether bad or good teams. At least Troy Smith won, that's the bottomline. With two weeks of prep he won 2 games. Alex 5 plus years, horrible. He still looks like a rookie. He just doesn't have it. I've been watching football since I was born and played some. I know football. I know whos awful or not. I know who makes play or not. Its a simple game to evaluate. Do the players make plays or not, period? Manning and Brady great, Sanchez ok, Tebow needs work but makes play, Campbell bad to ok, Grossman and Alex Smith awful. There is my sample QB evaluation.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by vaden:
Its frustrating. The 49ers are just as talented as those teams that made the playoffs. 49ers have enough talent on offense, defense and special teams to be one of the elite teams. Just need a veteran QB like McNabb or Kolb and a offensive minded coach to make it all come together.

lol, McNabb and Kolb had worse seasons than Smith on better teams, in better situations under vastly superior coaches.

Jed also thinks we're just a coach and QB away, and that's why we're screwed. He doesn't see that this team has far worse problems than Alex Smith. We went 6-10 against one of the easiest schedules in the league. The OL is dreadful, Gore is on the decline, our best WR is a diva who gives up on plays and has terrible hands that needlessly tips balls to the defense. The D is mediocre at best, and ranked 27th in the NFL, last in the NFC, in takeaways. This doesn't start at QB and it doesn't stop at Singletary. It goes to the top of the front office, to our horrible ownership that purged Mooch for Dennis Erickson.

Alex Smith will go elsewhere to a far better situation, we'll get a better coach and a worse QB while hoping our #1 pick pans out, but little or nothing will be done to fix the systemic problems in this organization or plug the many holes on personnel.

I've been a Smith supporter since he got drafted and I gave him some slack. But this year was no excuse. The OC was kept, he was healthy throughout minicamps and been in the league for 5 years. He is no rookie. But he just doesn't have it between the ears, he's vision is mediocre, he last little leadership, he doesn't demand control and definitely still doesn't know how to win. I've had it. I saw and tape every game he played and he just look awful and lost at times. At least Troy Smith made things happen and won some games. Smith has the tools, but not the skills and demeanor yet to be a starting QB.

This years offensive line was total garbage, that and the coordinator was trash. Troy played well against the s**tty teams, but was a complete bust when he had to face a powerhouse like the Bucs. If you think Troy is the better of the Smiths, man you need to educate yourself. Honestly neither of them are impressive, but Alex is the better QB.

Alex Smith couldn't win with iether bad or good teams. At least Troy Smith won, that's the bottomline. With two weeks of prep he won 2 games. Alex 5 plus years, horrible. He still looks like a rookie. He just doesn't have it. I've been watching football since I was born and played some. I know football. I know whos awful or not. I know who makes play or not. Its a simple game to evaluate. Do the players make plays or not, period? Manning and Brady great, Sanchez ok, Tebow needs work but makes play, Campbell bad to ok, Grossman and Alex Smith awful. There is my sample QB evaluation.
So here is an area I like to discuss with such knowledgeable people. Would you please compare and contrast zone blocking versus man blocking on the OL. Which one do you think the new coach should use with the players currently here?
So here is an area I like to discuss with such knowledgeable people. Would you please compare and contrast zone blocking versus man blocking on the OL. Which one do you think the new coach should use with the players currently here?
Linemen is responsible for a specific area to block. He's responsible to anyone that comes his way. He could also slide to help out. In man blocking, linemen is responsible for a specific defender. The new coach should use zone blocking with the current players. But I'm not sure what is the current oline strenghs are, either zone or man. Its important to know that.

[ Edited by MrCrab49ers on Jan 3, 2011 at 23:55:18 ]
Originally posted by Sourball:
With Carr being the only QB signed for next year, do you think he will get consideration as the veteran starting QB while a rookie sits and learns or are they going to get a FA to try and win now while the team is still relatively young?

I think he gets cut, honestly. He was brought in here to NOT provide competition to Alex Smith -- as said by Singletary. That is by far the most disturbing thing I had ever heard. NOT to be competition?? Unreal.
~ Front office restructure.
~ GM
~ HC
~ OC
~ DC
~ WR coach
~ O Line coach
~ New Secondary
~ Pass Rush
~ New RB (Frank may never be the same)
~ #1 WR
~ QB

We are that much away...

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jan 3, 2011 at 23:33:55 ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ GM
~ HC
~ OC
~ DC
~ WR coach
~ O Line coach
~ New Secondary
~ Pass Rush
~ #1 WR

We are that much away...

To what? What's the structure you would suggest?
Originally posted by NinerGM:
~ GM
~ HC
~ OC
~ DC
~ WR coach
~ O Line coach
~ New Secondary
~ Pass Rush
~ #1 WR

We are that much away...

Get rid of Paraage, Baalke, and Jed. Lombardi takes over. Hire Harbaugh. Trade entire 2011 draft for Luck.

SUPER BOWL...
~ GM
~ HC
~ OC
~ DC
~ WR coach
~ O Line coach
~ New Secondary
~ Pass Rush
~ #1 WR

We are that much away...

Get rid of Paraage, Baalke, and Jed. Lombardi takes over. Hire Harbaugh. Trade entire 2011 draft for Luck.

SUPER BOWL...

Lombardi has no experience as a GM you know this right? Harbaugh has no HC experience at the pro level and neither know how to negotiate contracts in the NFL. Who writes the checks to pay bills? John? Trade the entire 2011 draft for Luck like Mike Ditka did for Ricky Williams?

That works.

[ Edited by NinerGM on Jan 3, 2011 at 23:42:03 ]
~ GM
~ HC
~ OC
~ DC
~ WR coach
~ O Line coach
~ New Secondary
~ Pass Rush
~ #1 WR

We are that much away...

SUPER BOWL...

Lombardi has no experience as a GM you know this right? Harbaugh has no HC experience at the pro level and neither know how to negotiate contracts in the NFL. Who writes the checks to pay bills? John? Trade the entire 2011 draft for Luck like Mike Ditka did for Ricky Williams?

That works.

John York writes the checks and pays the bills. Lombardi is light years ahead of Baalke in the experience department. Harbaugh played in the Pros for a long time. He knows the pro game. And he's a fantastic HC.

Ricky Williams was a RB and a pot smoker. Luck is a franchise QB with accuracy. No comparison there at all...
~ GM
~ HC
~ OC
~ DC
~ WR coach
~ O Line coach
~ New Secondary
~ Pass Rush
~ #1 WR

We are that much away...

SUPER BOWL...

"Hey Lombardi, here's the franchise. No charge."
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
~ GM
~ HC
~ OC
~ DC
~ WR coach
~ O Line coach
~ New Secondary
~ Pass Rush
~ #1 WR

We are that much away...

SUPER BOWL...

"Hey Lombardi, here's the franchise. No charge."

He simply runs it. Jed goes home to play with his toys. John York signs the checks. Yorks do the opposite of what they have done for a decade. STAY OUT OF THE WAY.
Originally posted by nooj:
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm tired of hearing people (and media) say that this team is full of talent. Or that this team has enough talent to compete for a Superbowl.

There's so many holes on this team, I don't know where to begin. We are not just one QB and coach away.

lol give us a good offensive minded HC and a good QB and we would DOMINATE this crappy division. not far off at all.
Harbaugh, Cam Newton and a CB or two. #6 for the trophy case in a year or two