There are 24 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

4 Reasons Why the GM Search is NOT a Sham

This speculation has gotten completely out of hand. It seems like almost everyone believes that Baalke is a shoe in for the GM position and it's only a matter of time. After giving it some thought, I'm 99% sure that this is not the case at all and that all this "news" is a result of rumors and speculation building upon more rumors and speculation and so on. I'm attempting to provide 4 convincing reasons why Jed is actually serious about this GM search.

1. He's doing a hell of a lot of work for someone who supposedly already has his mind made up. He's spending hours upon hours interviewing candidates when he could easily have just promoted Baalke like his father did with McCloughan and proclaimed that the problem lay with the coaching and not management.

2. Jed is no dummy and he knows Niner fans are not dummies either. I'm sure he knows that the good PR he created when he announced that he was going to do a thorough search for a GM is going to be more than doubled by the bad PR that would result in not following through on his promise.

3. The Yorks are trying to build a new football stadium. If you want to get a publicly funded football stadium built it's beneficial to have a good team and generate as much positive PR as possible. If you have a wining team people will want you. It behooves them to do the best they can to put that together.

4. Eddie D has personally vouched for Jed on numerous occasions. Why would Eddie give his word if he knew Jed wasn't really serious? I'm pretty sure Eddie is still on bad terms with the York's so what benefit would he gain if he were to be in on it as well?

Regardless of whether you believe Jed's talk about wanting to bring a championship to San Francisco, it just makes logical sense for him to be taking this seriously. I can't think of any advantage to be gained from just going through the motions and just picking the inside guy. Whether he is knowledgeable enough to pick the right guy is another story.
It is a sham. He's just doing these interviews now because the media jumped on him. So he has to make it look real...
Who paid you to write this post?
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

2. Jed is no dummy and he knows Niner fans are not dummies either.

Are you so sure about this part???
  • nooj
  • Veteran
This speculation has gotten completely out of hand. It seems like almost everyone believes that Baalke is a shoe in for the GM position and it's only a matter of time. After giving it some thought, I'm 99% sure that this is not the case at all and that all this "news" is a result of rumors and speculation building upon more rumors and speculation and so on. I'm attempting to provide 4 convincing reasons why Jed is actually serious about this GM search.

1. He's doing a hell of a lot of work for someone who supposedly already has his mind made up. He's spending hours upon hours interviewing candidates when he could easily have just promoted Baalke like his father did with McCloughan and proclaimed that the problem lay with the coaching and not management.

2. Jed is no dummy and he knows Niner fans are not dummies either. I'm sure he knows that the good PR he created when he announced that he was going to do a thorough search for a GM is going to be more than doubled by the bad PR that would result in not following through on his promise.

3. The Yorks are trying to build a new football stadium. If you want to get a publicly funded football stadium built it's beneficial to have a good team and generate as much positive PR as possible. If you have a wining team people will want you. It behooves them to do the best they can to put that together.

This would imply they haven't been doing their best to put a winner on the field.

4. Eddie D has personally vouched for Jed on numerous occasions. Why would Eddie give his word if he knew Jed wasn't really serious? I'm pretty sure Eddie is still on bad terms with the York's so what benefit would he gain if he were to be in on it as well?

Regardless of whether you believe Jed's talk about wanting to bring a championship to San Francisco, it just makes logical sense for him to be taking this seriously. I can't think of any advantage to be gained from just going through the motions and just picking the inside guy. Whether he is knowledgeable enough to pick the right guy is another story.

It's not so much about whether he is taking it seriously. It's about if he is capable of doing the right thing.
those are reasons why it shouldn't be a sham.. which is what makes the whole Baalke rumors so confusing
Originally posted by zillabeast:

2. Jed is no dummy and he knows Niner fans are not dummies either.

Are you so sure about this part???

So do you think that every poster in Niner Talk is smarter than Jed is? If a tactic like this would be blatantly obvious to everyone in Niner Talk it's obvious to him. Get real.
Originally posted by posayshoohaa:
those are reasons why it shouldn't be a sham.. which is what makes the whole Baalke rumors so confusing

I honestly think the media played up his comments about him complimenting Baalke and made it into something bigger than it should have been. It's become a self-perpetuating rumor. The Lombardi thing is what makes this really confusing.
Originally posted by nooj:

This would imply they haven't been doing their best to put a winner on the field.

It's not so much about whether he is taking it seriously. It's about if he is capable of doing the right thing.

I agree completely with your last sentence as I wrote in my post. My post was adressing the people who believe that he is not taking things seriously and why it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Also, I don't see how #3 would imply that they were not trying before.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It is a sham. He's just doing these interviews now because the media jumped on him. So he has to make it look real...

I thought you weren't going to revert to cynicism until 2011.. You're jumping the gun.
Say what you will about Al Davis, but I wonder if Jed has spoken to him and asked him for any advice, pointers, tips, etc? He's right next door. Just saying.....
I like this post, and I hope you're right!
Originally posted by RaiderYoda:
Say what you will about Al Davis, but I wonder if Jed has spoken to him and asked him for any advice, pointers, tips, etc? He's right next door. Just saying.....

your a radier fan ???
Jed wants to promote Baakle, but he's doing a search "just in case" there's someone else, and so that Baalke can't ask for a billion dollar raise because Jed looked desperate.