LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 167 users in the forums

Do you want Baalke as the next GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do you want Baalke as the next GM

There is a big difference in knowing/evaluating talent and building a team.
Not that he can't build a team we just don't know if he can.
Originally posted by swim4speed:
Baalke has been with the Niners for the past 5 bad years. I don't want more of the same-o-same-o! The Niners need an outside perspective from their new GM!

No Baalke!

i want to see whoever is the GM get Harbaugh in here. wouldnt mind baalke at all. he seems to be highly regarded and ni think he made good pickups for us this year in FA and the draft. everybody starts somewhere. it would keep the team from dismantling and taking longer to rebuild with a new gm gutting the roster to get his guys. we've got some great talent here, i think it was more of a coaching issue than anything else. get baalke, get him a sideline pass and have him stand right next to harbaugh and if harbaughs phone rings drop a beer on it, if someone taps his shoulder break their arm. do what it takes to bring harbaugh to us baalke!
Originally posted by statman:
Originally posted by swim4speed:
Baalke has been with the Niners for the past 5 bad years. I don't want more of the same-o-same-o! The Niners need an outside perspective from their new GM!

No Baalke!

He's definitely got the look we seem to go after.
Keep him as an assistant GM/draft/personnel type guy, but bring in a new fresh face as GM. We need CHANGE and lots of it.
Not unless a HOFO and/or HC comes in with lots of experience.

We need SOMEONE in this organization who actually has done the job they are hired for successfully.

Not EVERYONE in the organization should be learning how to do the job for the first time.

Our President, GM, HC, Coordinators, have consistently been been hires from lower positions with ZERO experience in their new roles. How has that worked out so far?

And now we are planning to go with in-house promotion (brings no GM experience and no new ideas to the organization) AND the dream is to get a HC with ZERO NFL HC experience.

Meanwhile we haven't brought in a real GM, team president or any kind of HOFO.

It will be the same move 3 times in a row. And it has continued to fail miserably.
PFT just reported that Lombardi and Harbaugh could be a one-two punch in San Fran. Seeing how Baalke could have a much harder time to land Harbaugh, Jed could go with Lombardi because of his close relationship with Harbaugh from their days in Oakland.
Baalke is not the problem. He had a great draft last year. I have a feeling we'll look back 10 years from now and say that was one of the best drafts we had in the past decade.

Why have the niners been so bad the past few years? Two reasons.

1) Business is Business: We lost two very good OC's to Head Coaching postions. Nothing you can do about that fellas. It is what it is.

2) Two Ego maniac coaches that were bent on a certain style that did not cater to the personal. You have a guy like A. Smith that plays great everytime in the spread, Vernon Davis, Crabtree and Gore and tell me again, why are you not sling that ball down field?

I've honestly, been impressed with Jed. He got swindeled by Singletary. What Singeltary did with the team as an interm HC was impressive. It's not Jed's fault that Singletary became his own worst enemy. Singletary got that HC position and started fooling himself with all this motivational garbage and got soem major reality checks. That wasn't Jed's or Baalke's fault. In fact, I think they're the only to that will bring this organization back to what it was.
NO TO BAALKE!!!!

Please get some experience in here!! We dont need another Jed York yes man. WE need fresh blood in here. Someone with no attachments to ANY thing or player in this organization. Someone with NO biases.

It absolutely astonishes me how many people are pro Baalke in this thread.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
NO TO BAALKE!!!!

Please get some experience in here!! We dont need another Jed York yes man. WE need fresh blood in here. Someone with no attachments to ANY thing or player in this organization. Someone with NO biases.

me too. probably the same guys that wanna give Alex another chance.

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
NO TO BAALKE!!!!

So who is going to be our QB next year if you are so ahead of the game? Or have you bothered to look at the list of FA QB's? The pickings are slim, take the guys out that are obviously staying on their current teams and Smith is the best left. Some of you guys need to get a clue...the only other option is to gamble a high draft pick on a guy like Locker or Mallet, neither of whom look to be worth it. Luck, even if he comes out, will not be there when we draft unless he pulls an Eli/John Elway move, and that just doesn't happen much.
NO TO BAALKE!!!!

My only concern is lack of experience. He was only a scout up until last year when he was Director of Player Personnel, and then swiftly promoted to VP of Player Personnel.

But based on what his work as GM so far, I think he's done great.

At the end of last season, there were 3 glaring needs: fix the OL, get a solid return man, and get a change-of-pace back for Gore. He fixed all those things by drafting 2 OL in the 1st round, trading for Ted Ginn, and bringing in Brian Westbrook.
NO TO BAALKE!!!!

My only concern is lack of experience. He was only a scout up until last year when he was Director of Player Personnel, and then swiftly promoted to VP of Player Personnel.

At the end of last season, there were 3 glaring needs: fix the OL, get a solid return man, and get a change-of-pace back for Gore. He fixed all those things by drafting 2 OL in the 1st round, trading for Ted Ginn, and bringing in Brian Westbrook.

His inexperience is one of MANY concerns with Baalke.
Here are my problems with him. Just one of these problems is enough for me to not want him. Put them all together and I am STRONGLY against him.

-Inexperience
-Jed York "yes man"
-Already been a part of this mess
-Already has pre-existing relationships and biases with people/players in this organization
-If we didnt hire him, there is practically ZERO chance another team would want him as their GM (which means he CANT be the best choice for the job)

All those are reasons I dont want any part of Baalke. And again, it shocks me to see how his potential hiring is being received on this board.
NO TO BAALKE!!!!

His inexperience is one of MANY concerns with Baalke.
Here are my problems with him. Just one of these problems is enough for me to not want him. Put them all together and I am STRONGLY against him.

-Inexperience
-Jed York "yes man"
-Already has pre-existing relationships and biases with people/players in this organization
-If we didnt hire him, there is practically ZERO chance another team would want him as their GM (which means he CANT be the best choice for the job)

All those are reasons I dont want any part of Baalke. And again, it shocks me to see how his potential hiring is being received on this board.

All of these are solid points with two exceptions, how is Baalke a yes man? Secondly, there are some nice pieces in place on the roster currently. We don't need a dismantling, which a new GM may do. Have there been any personnel moves that he has made since he has been acting GM that made you scratch your head?

I'll be honest, he isn't my first, second, or third choice to be GM. But this could work as long as we get someone else in this organization (from the outside) that Baalke reports to. The issue isn't Baalke. The issue is the York's inability to humble themselves and truly turn over the power in running this franchise. He doesn't know and knows he doesn't know what to do, but doesn't seem to be willing to get the right people in place to really run this team.

-Inexperience
-Jed York "yes man"
-every current GM was an unexperienced once in his carrer, so what???
-he is york's "yes man"??? where did u get that?
-i could also say that the whole team is a part of this mess...would you cut all of our players???
-for example??? by the way, we are talking about humans, not machines...it's usual that humans have some relationships...like it's usual that certain GMs bring in "their" guys
-link? my counter-argument, just for example:
"In fact, late last year Baalke was on a short list of candidates under consideration for the GM opening in Seattle." very impressive for a guy who has never been a GM yet...
Share 49ersWebzone