There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do you want Baalke as the next GM

Do you want Baalke as the next GM

Just my 2 cents but he would not be my first choice..
I would got for Decosta(Ravens) or Khan(Steelers), maybe even Reeese from NE (Love the Draft style).....

I would try and keep him (Baalke) but sometimes causalties happen.. He would be down my list but hey
usually, i would consider a wise/experienced guy either, anyone of us would do that...and thats the only argument against baalke.
i read that he has evaluated talent for years and seems to be respected for that among the league...and i think that he learned how NOT to manage a team from his predecessor (his name is unimportant).
Hell yes!

People want sex appeal. But they know very little else.

The fact is Baalke is highly respected around the league, has paid his dues like all of the other names thrown out there and has performed well in the short time he has had some power with us. His acquisitions and draft have all been solid.

You don't let talent like Trent Baalke get away simply because you want to put on a show for the fans. "Hey fans we're different now! We cleaned house!" b***h please. The honeymoon stops when that sexy name loses a couple games.

F what the fans think they want. They all come around when the wins come in the door. Just like the fans who booed Alex Smith for an incomplete pass and immediately cheered for him when he tossed a TD. Fickle. Emotional. Irrational.

I honestly feel like people think its a good idea our ex-greats to be positional coaches. Or that it would somehow be a good idea to intentionally drop a game for a draft pick. As if 2 draft spots matter to the players and coaches. Scary.

Do what is right for the franchise. Hire Baalke and go get that head coach!

[ Edited by okdkid on Jan 2, 2011 at 22:17:08 ]
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by niteshade80:
My feelings on Baalke is that he doesn't have the experience necessary to be a gm, when you have guys like Holmgren out there, even Parcells would put together a good team (not the highest on him, but he has put together some good teams), and other people with more experience than Baalke. I just hope we bring in a gm that will bring the WCO back to this team, where we have brought in 5 superbowls Vs. 0 superbowls with any other system Pre 1979 and post 2002.

You do realize that Holmgren isn't technically "out there", since he's currently another teams GM, right?

LOL That doesnt matter to the WZers here they dont care about silly things like that.
If he can get the Job Done I dont see why not...
There's absolutely nothing wrong with hiring from within...so long as that person's qualified to hold the position. In Baalke's case, I think his 9-month "audition" has been pretty good. He knows the team well...which is a definite advantage over an outsider. He's acutely aware how the team needs to improve...which begins with hiring a very good head coach. Together, they need to develop a synchronized get well plan...one that's implementable and would include acquiring a new starting QB. I have no problem w/Baalke...he seems to have a good ability to evaluate talent and is willing to deal for better players.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with hiring from within...so long as that person's qualified to hold the position. In Baalke's case, I think his 9-month "audition" has been pretty good. He knows the team well...which is a definite advantage over an outsider. He's acutely aware how the team needs to improve...which begins with hiring a very good head coach. Together, they need to develop a synchronized get well plan...one that's implementable and would include acquiring a new starting QB. I have no problem w/Baalke...he seems to have a good ability to evaluate talent and is willing to deal for better players.
Baalke has been with the Niners for the past 5 bad years. I don't want more of the same-o-same-o! The Niners need an outside perspective from their new GM!

No Baalke!
The Yorks want this to be their team, a York organization from top to bottom with everything done the Yorkian way.

They are torn between hiring a powerful outside GM and a well-regarded coach who might tell the Yorks to stop bothering them and to go play outside, and those who are more willing to answer Jeb's calls.

We fans want the team to be run by powerful and respected professionals who are as far away from the Yorks as possible, and potential candidates have the same concern. They all want to run the show and keep the Yorks hidden in the attic.

It will be an interesting off-season and the Yorks can come of age as respected owners, or they can be the inept meddlers they have been so far.
yes, swim4 speed, baalke has been with the 49ers for last bad 5 yrs...but he has been laboring under a poor GM when we had one and 3 bottom of the barrel HCs, if you can call them that. I believe this team, to a man, has played way below their talent level and attribute a large part of that to donahue, noln and the regrettable BM(bigmike), all horrid HCs, and all who found their way here. Baalke knew we had to have an OL before we could have a decent QB, and he took bull by the horns and drafted 2 OLs in first rd. Not very popular, but it was the right thing to do.

"But they didn't perform well", you could accurately say. Yup, that's right, but neither did much else on this pathetically miscoached team. Right now i would say BM was the one worst hire jed could have made. Right up there with Denver...and JOSH had the tools, just not a HC ability. Poor BM, he had nothing except a HOF LB mantle and good knowledge of the game circa 1985...but none of current football. So the OL we have now, the team we have now, is just waiting for a good GM and a good HC, and can be turned around just in this offseason. But we have to get
those guys in the fold, and i think baalke has done as much as he could under the constraints of a loser like BM. On his own, i see a good GM in Baalke.

Now if it turns out we hire someone else,and he is qualified, so be it. I am just looking for excellence, and someone who has done something good in the GM area as of late. Baalke is one of those.
Originally posted by carlgo:
The Yorks want this to be their team, a York organization from top to bottom with everything done the Yorkian way.

They are torn between hiring a powerful outside GM and a well-regarded coach who might tell the Yorks to stop bothering them and to go play outside, and those who are more willing to answer Jeb's calls.

We fans want the team to be run by powerful and respected professionals who are as far away from the Yorks as possible, and potential candidates have the same concern. They all want to run the show and keep the Yorks hidden in the attic.

It will be an interesting off-season and the Yorks can come of age as respected owners, or they can be the inept meddlers they have been so far.
if Baalke goes and gets Harbaugh, the Zone will drop their stones
Originally posted by okdkid:
Hell yes!

People want sex appeal. But they know very little else.

The fact is Baalke is highly respected around the league, has paid his dues like all of the other names thrown out there and has performed well in the short time he has had some power with us. His acquisitions and draft have all been solid.

You don't let talent like Trent Baalke get away simply because you want to put on a show for the fans. "Hey fans we're different now! We cleaned house!" b***h please. The honeymoon stops when that sexy name loses a couple games.

F what the fans think they want. They all come around when the wins come in the door. Just like the fans who booed Alex Smith for an incomplete pass and immediately cheered for him when he tossed a TD. Fickle. Emotional. Irrational.

I honestly feel like people think its a good idea our ex-greats to be positional coaches. Or that it would somehow be a good idea to intentionally drop a game for a draft pick. As if 2 draft spots matter to the players and coaches. Scary.

Do what is right for the franchise. Hire Baalke and go get that head coach!

You are not only right about the highlighted part, but about the topic as well. Great post man.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
if Baalke goes and gets Harbaugh, the Zone will drop their stones

Even if Baalke doesn't get (or can't get) Harbaugh but instead gets a proven, quality coach like Fisher, Billick or Fox, I will still support his promotion, under one circumstance: He absolutely, positively must be THE DECIDER. No more football decisions emanating from Jed or his daddy.
I wouldn't know if is going to be a good GM or not. How could I?

But I am concerned to see continual promoting from within in the highest level positions, when they have sucked the entire time these people have worked there. It is odd, considering the lack of success they have had.