Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is frank gore done?

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
If possible, package Gore with our first round and maybe another pick and move up to get Andrew Luck!

I like Frank but I love this idea. Any takers???

too bad Carolina already has two quality backs in Stewart and Williams

God damnit, Sims. You're addicted to your witty responses like crack. Now I need crack. s**t. Look what you made me do. Now I gotta come down smooth....

• vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:

I was messing with you because your calling out his statement as an appeal to authority and a fallacy was a fallacy. I'm sorry my humor was too obtuse for you. You attacked his expert without giving supporting evidence, then you implied that you were an expert by saying your conclusion was "obvious".

No, I didn't say anything about his expert. I said he was employing the appeal to authority fallacy by solely relying on Weis' opinion for his rebuttal. And saying something is obvious in no way implies the person is an expert. If anything, it implies the opposite, since even non-experts (like me) should be able to see the obvious.

Apology and peace offer accepted. Back to the issue, you make good points and I concede I overstated my case, and also misrepresented you in saying you though Jones is better than Charles. I can see giving Charles slightly less carries to keep him fresh, but my larger point was Jones is not having a good season. Admittedly I haven't watched even half of his games, but from what I have seen it seems clear he's lost a step.

I don't agree that his poor ypr can be excused by his situation. Yes, he's used in a higher percentage of short yardage situations, but it's also a plus having a back like Charles for support (I think Gore also needs a change of pace backup), and while Cassel hasn't racked up much yardage, he's had a pro bowl-caliber season, ranking 5th in qb rating (though this can be a very misleading stat), 6th in td passes, and 2nd to only Brady in TD-INT ratio. Yes, he's done this with great run support, but defenses still have to respect his arm.

With Bradford, obviously, it's very different and an error on my part not to factor that in, but while Steven Jackson may not have had such limited QBs in the past, he has had worse overall and performed much better. Last year his QBs were horrendous and yet he still had one of his better seasons, averaging 4.4 ypr. So I stand by 3.7 being disappointing for him, though perhaps ok considering Bradford's limitations. But I wouldn't give him any credit for the Rams going to the playoffs. Yes, they wouldn't make it without him but they wouldn't make it with him without the NFL's patently unfair playoff system.

The Rams are only (probably) going to the playoffs because they play in the worst division in perhaps all of sports history. They are still a weak team that has only beaten one opponent with a winning record (8-7). Sagarin has them ranked 27th in the NFL. I wouldn't put them much higher.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Sorry fellas. Anyone who has a pair of eyes can tell Gore isn't running as well as he was in 2007 & 8. Forget about the dumb game plans. The guy just doesn't break tackles like he use to. When's the last time you saw him break a screen pass for significant yards? He doesn't get away from a CB, LB or DL. He has great vision, but his strength is failing.

You forget our Oline has gotten s**ttier every year since then. It does have an effect on how your RB does.

your logical thinking is not wanted here. This is a place for irrational b***hing and complaining.

I'm not really sure what part of my post you guys didn't understand? I specifically used screen passes as an example, because it take the Oline out of the equation for the most part. I also cited how he doesn't get away from LBs and CBs (2nd&3rd level guys) like he use to. I know Frank's been one of the only players we could hang our hat on for years, but thos days are pretty close to over.

P.S. I get it. Saying anything negative about Gore is akin to insulting a family member. Most of you Im sure would hold on to him long past his useful shelf life.

I have a pair of eyes. I use them.

Maybe you should try using yours.

Really, Oakland... you forgot this play?

Are you really from Oakland?

Just because we're on the topic of Oakland.

Jerry Rice has eyes.

Was that a broken tackle to get the clutch TD?

Don't say mean things about Gore.

You'll make me cry.

Honestly, I think Gore is fine. He can still break tackles, he still has a burst, he still has leg drive to carry defenders an extra couple yards. Well, he did before the broken hip, we'll see how he looks next season. I'm not too worried about it, he should be all healed up in a couple weeks and running normally.

If I'm wrong, I'll be sad. I'll get over it. We've all seen our favorite players come and go. It's a part of the game. Just don't count a guy out before he's done. Gore didn't look done to me.

Yes, I'm a fanboy... many people are fanboys of Gore. I was a fanboy from his first preseason game. I was arguing with people that he should have been starting over Barlow his rookie year... during preseason. Everyone thought I was nuts. So I get that you feel like we aren't being objective. Well, I was objective in 2005 and I'm objective now, even if I am a fanboy. I look at statistics and subjective visual analysis. So don't tell me that I'd put Gore before the team. I wouldn't.

As a matter of fact, I think he must have his carries reduced next season. Not only for his health (especially the nature of a hip injury), but because we need to start grooming replacements. I'm not an idiot, Gore won't last forever. He can still be a weapon for us over the next few years, though. We just have to use him right... unlike this year.

Also, the reason you get negative replies to your post is the tone you used. "Anyone with eyes" is an instant ego challenge to anyone with an opposing view. You're calling people out and saying they are blind if they can't see it. It's fine if you express your opinions, I can respect that. Just realize that it is an opinion and that starting a post in the combative manner you did is what brought on the defensive responses... not because "Saying anything negative about Gore is akin to insulting a family member."

At this point, we're in wait and see mode... for pretty much everything about the team. Gore is just another on a long list of question marks right now. Personally, I think he'll be fine... we'll just have to wait and see.

P.S. I like it when people question things that others take for granted. So, it actually makes me have more respect for you that you posted your opinion on this. You're a smart guy and one of the better posters on the forum. Keep it up.

Thanks, man. I was just getting ready to quit posting all together.......

To be clear, I dont think Gore is washed up. I just dont think he is running as well as he did in the past which was at an all world level. I also agree that a predictable game plan, crap blocking scheme and too many touches have crushed his yards per carry. All I'm saying is that even when he is given the chance/lanes he doesn't run like the Gore I'm use to. Hopefully next year Gore will prove me wrong and have a banner year, assuming the new GM/HC don't trade him.

One thing I can say is after watching Dixon and WB I really appreciate Gore's running style. I love his no-nonsense, North and South, "I'm the hammer your the nail" style of play. I know speedy backs are all the rage right now, but to me there is nothing like watching a RB emerge from the line of scrimmage and pick up 10 to 20 yards. In that sense, I am old school.
I dont think Gore is fully recovered from his injury maybe he will never be the same regardless............he just doesnt seem like the same Frank before injury..........hes running like Kevan Barlow out there
we arent getting luck, so give it up already.
LOL you guys are great make me laugh
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Eric_Branch Eric Branch

Run down: #49ers RB Frank Gore has gained three yards or less on 32 of his 42 carries this season. bit.ly/qs5wQm
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
we arent getting luck, so give it up already.

Who said anything about getting Luck im just worried about the running game right now maybe its time to see a little more of Hunter if Gore keeps playing like this
Gore does not look to be the same player he once was. Then again, the Dallas defense is stout against the run. Their achilles heal was the secondary, which we exposed yesterday. Not enough, mind you, but it is clearly that team's weak link.

Gore appears to be a step slower this year and isn't bouncing off tacklers like he once did. There was a time when Gore looked like a pinball out there -- bouncing through attempted tackle after attempted tackle. The highlights posted above by Woodwo is a testament to that skill.

But now Frank the Tank is hitting the turf with alarming, Exlax-like regularity. The first hit is guaranteed to bring him down.

That isn't the Frank I knew.
Eric_Branch Eric Branch
Run down: #49ers RB Frank Gore has gained three yards or less on 32 of his 42 carries this season. bit.ly/qs5wQm

We are just wasting downs by repeatedly running him over and over for little gain.
Originally posted by susweel:
Eric_Branch Eric Branch

We are just wasting downs by repeatedly running him over and over for little gain.

But what is our option? Kendall Hunter? I don't know if the kid is ready yet. Still, it would be nice to utilize that kid's speed a bit more. But who knows if he's ready.

I don't think the problem is the offensive line. If anything? Run blocking is the line's strong suit -- especially the left side. Iupati mauls people.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Regardless, what happened to the annual drafting of a guy to spell Gore, who then shows promise, only to have no other back with any amount of carries? What happened to rotating and keeping him fresh? The one time Hunter saw the field he made a big play, kid needs some carries.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by susweel:
Eric_Branch Eric Branch

But what is our option? Kendall Hunter? I don't know if the kid is ready yet. Still, it would be nice to utilize that kid's speed a bit more. But who knows if he's ready.

I don't think the problem is the offensive line. If anything? Run blocking is the line's strong suit -- especially the left side. Iupati mauls people.

Only way to find out is to give hunter at least 8-10 carries a game and see he performs better.
It usually takes a year to get confidence and physical skills back when you come back from knees and broken hips. So we may not see the real Frank the Tank until next year? Hope not but it could be true?
Originally posted by TX9R:
Regardless, what happened to the annual drafting of a guy to spell Gore, who then shows promise, only to have no other back with any amount of carries? What happened to rotating and keeping him fresh? The one time Hunter saw the field he made a big play, kid needs some carries.

Whats the point of using Hunter if we are just gonna run him up the gut. Harbaughs WCO is no different than the s**t Raye/Johnson shoved down our throats last year. What ever happened to using the pass to set up the run?